MGB GT - Mission finally complete! Phew.

SiC

Always liked the rubber bumpers, saw a rubber bumper BGT the other day that had been lowered to the chrome bumper ride height and it looked so different! 

MGBs have a lovely driving position, makes you feel really involved with what you are doing. 

Those wheels and hubcaps on Cros's B are so much nicer than the later RoStyles, or God forbid, wires.post-17481-0-40823100-1498642755_thumb.png

I would suggest driving a couple and then seeing if the flame is extinguished.

The prices of them were fairly constant and seemed to be on the rise... and then the MX5 did for them. I'm not sure they have really recovered to where they might have otherwise been.

Great spares and clubs for them and lots of different models to chose from. You might want to check the insurance costs though.

As others have mentioned, they are great cars, but really don't compare to slightly more modern stuff. Maybe that's why you want one? The MX5 has finally managed to shrug some of its hairdresser image and people really appreciate it for the modernized and reliable version of the original Lotus Elan it really is.

Maybe not the soul of an MGB GT, but that soul comes from character and not all characters are that likable.

Always liked the rubber bumpers, saw a rubber bumper BGT the other day that had been lowered to the chrome bumper ride height and it looked so different!

MGBs have a lovely driving position, makes you feel really involved with what you are doing.

The rubber bumpered roadster that i have has conventional shox on now and ride height as as per an early one, much much better looks and handling,

post-20451-0-12560700-1498644337_thumb.jpg

It must be so easy to simply get on the phone to Rimmers or whoever and have almost everything on the shelf available. Even brand-new bodyshells FFS!

For that reason alone, and if it looked like Six-Cylinders' on the previous page, I'd have to consider one. In fact, if I had decent garage, I'd be looking at the cheapest I could and reselling it. I think that would be more rewarding than trying to build some shonky kit-car using bits of old Sierra.

lots of great advice here, I'm in a classic car resto club, and went on a run out in the dales last night with a couple of these - no FTP's which was a shocker!

Aside from the experience of driving cars of the era, you will likely learn how to weld, and become very familiar with bodging electronics thru the ages!

Most of the complaints of owners re previous owners, is of the aforesaid electrical bodges, (so go over the car, lifting carpets etc, and anything which looks iffy, make a mental note), and bodges re carbs and jetting and so on - it was the done thing to try and uprate the performance, usually badly, and often it is better to restore to stock if you're having running issues.

However, sellers will bore you to tears with tales of the welding they've had done, so that is a big positive, find one with an honest enthusiast and you can't really give yourself a better headstart than that :)

Good luck, I wouldn't due to age and finances, but you are young, and the ladies will love your big guns after six months of commuting in a car with no fucking power steering ;)

Will never drive one after a colleague had a shunt in one, steering column hit his chest and killed him. He left a wife and kids.

I'm not saying don't drive any old cars or that any other old car would be safer but the thought of being turned into a shish kebab puts me off.

Still see lots about in Devon. My brother in law had one as a first car but the rot, shit brakes that never worked and looking like a giffer made him get rid. Genuinely think a well looked after MX5 or MR2 is a better idea.

Crash test results were remarkably good for the MGB, though obviously nowhere near as good as modern cars. Until a year ago I had a Sunbeam 90 - the steering box on them is mounted right on the front chassis crossmember; I'd think twice about driving that into a brick wall, but later B's had either a collaspsible or energy absorbing column. Brakes are more than adequate. Pedal pressure is higher if unassisted, but same laws of physics apply. That's a 10 inch drum on the back, one inch up on a Smiley Transit. If they are shit its because there's something wrong.

PS, my wheels and grill are not 'correct' but its a cheap easy change with the added bonus that it gets up the purist's snouts as does running it on LPG.

It must be so easy to simply get on the phone to Rimmers or whoever and have almost everything on the shelf available. Even brand-new bodyshells FFS!

The availability of panels is indeed superb, but have you looked at the prices ?

Re-shell is possible, but Heritage want £10K for one ! Even if you do all the restoration work yourself, you're easily looking at a £15-20K budget. For that kind of money, I would want something far, far more special than a 'B.

How "expensive" is it to get the sills on a MGB properly rebuilt - castle section, inner+outer sills and all?

A quick google suggests one place offering it for £1k per side. Others suggest its a 10 hour job. Is that realistic?

Just thinking if, whatever I get and if the sills are screwed, what my options are. The general advice is that welding sills on a MGB isn't a job as the first welding job someone has done.

Like the GT, but would probably end up spending my hard earned on a shonky TR7

MGB on discs and hub caps is for winners, chrome wires should flag you along the lines of an OLLI twat ;)

Full length Webasto is brilliant

1.8 B series can be encouraged quite a lot with ickle upgrades and make it quite pleasant to drive, sounds nice too

Will never be a tarmac burner unless it is V8'ed

I say find the best for you money and go for it

And this from a chap "rather push my triumph than drive an mg" etc

Club scene is probably as awful* as the stag club scene or just about any other one model club out there. Benefits in cheap RAC cover and insurance make the membership pay for itself :D

*many club members love to compare ailments/upgrades and for many folk it is a good social scene, not for me though, I steer well clear

How "expensive" is it to get the sills on a MGB properly rebuilt - castle section, inner+outer sills and all?

A quick google suggests one place offering it for £1k per side. Others suggest its a 10 hour job. Is that realistic?

Just thinking if, whatever I get and if the sills are screwed, what my options are. The general advice is that welding sills on a MGB isn't a job as the first welding job someone has done.

Quite a big job that to do proper involves removal of front wings and cutting off a chunk of the rear wing.

Proper bracing is required and a cradle to tip the car so no upside down snotty welding. 

then with all that in place you find yourself cutting off the outer sills to find a world of horror and pain that will need correcting before you start replacing. Look at my Range Rover rebuild thread for how shitty repairing a 40 year old british car can get.

First welding project, tough one, need to start someplace. mine was the Range Rover eek

As someone else said, check insurance.

Its about 6 years since I had one, classic policy from Footman James £140, and they added a second one for £10.

Can you get the later models on Classic ins?

It may be better paying more for a chrome bumper one in the long run, they are always easier to sell on.

Like the GT, but would probably end up spending my hard earned on a shonky TR7

I think the owners of this type of car fall into the MG camp or the Triumph camp

We're fortuitous to have the MG and a TR7, and i would say Mrs95 and myself always favour the TR7

Id say if you're in the market go for a really nice sorted one, even if the availability and cost of spares is not an issue, the differential between a do upper and a nothing to do for may years errodes very quickly.

WARNING this is an example of a well sorted nothing to do car.....  Oh dear it appears to be mine

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/322538811306?sojTags=bu=bu&euid=60504ab4b8eb4fb486eeea9d77767957&_mwBanner=1

I always had a soft spot for the B' and have come across a couple tasty ones myself. I would be wary with the webasto sunroof because every car I have been in that has one whistles and leaks, plus if you want a soft top, don't buy a GT! (P.S. I HATE webastardo roofs)

I say go for it!

Especially if you come across a 1980 model GT in russet brown or british racing green with the orange interior, in which case, stick it in an Australia bound shipping container and I will send you the money.

I think the owners of this type of car fall into the MG camp or the Triumph camp

We're fortuitous to have the MG and a TR7, and i would say Mrs95 and myself always favour the TR7

Id say if you're in the market go for a really nice sorted one, even if the availability and cost of spares is not an issue, the differential between a do upper and a nothing to do for may years errodes very quickly.

WARNING this is an example of a well sorted nothing to do car.....  Oh dear it appears to be mine

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/322538811306?sojTags=bu=bu&euid=60504ab4b8eb4fb486eeea9d77767957&_mwBanner=1

That looks lovely and no-doubt immaculate. MGB Roadsters don't do too much for me compared to the GT. But then I like the GT/fastback look in pretty much any car.

It also reminds me how much of a bargain the one near me is, even if it may have crappy repaired. However if it is rotted through, it does appear that, despite MGBs gaining value, the fucked ones haven't!

It looks like it's probably been restored. There's restorations and there's restorations. You don't want something that someone's learnt to weld on or where they couldn't quite get the sills right so they'll have trowelled a layer of P40 on and covered it with those ghastly stainless cover sills.

I don't know how people can give generic "£1K per sill" quotes like that - they will not know the full extent of the work necessary before the outside sill is off. And even then, how can they tell that they won't continue finding rotten metal/filler halfway across the floorpan or halfway up the pillars ?

I had a GT and a Roadster at the same time. Sold the GT because it had a roof, and the Roadster was better*

Big mistake. 

If you like the first one you see and the price is right do it. 

Owning one is the only way to find things out yourself.

My son wanted a Cobra. Paid over 20K  for the first one we viewed. Its still magificent in every way!

I don't know how people can give generic "£1K per sill" quotes like that - they will not know the full extent of the work necessary before the outside sill is off. And even then, how can they tell that they won't continue finding rotten metal/filler halfway across the floorpan or halfway up the pillars ?

This is where I saw it: http://www.mg-cars.org.uk/lmg/restoration-bodywork-mgb-mgbgt.shtml

I guess once they start, if things are bad, they'll let you know and price more accordingly...

Yes they have it all priced up there.

If you buy one that looks fine, has a long MOT and is fairly priced you can't go far wrong.

Its got a roof, it wont fold up as easily as a Roadster.

The one on ebay is over a grand with known rust, so worst scenario you should* get at least half your cash back at the end of the MOT.

post-9282-0-78842400-1498654601_thumb.jpeg

I had a BGT back in the late 80s till the early 90s and would have another again if one came up at the right price.

I was really lucky as I managed to find a car that had been restored with new sills doors skins and wings etc and a rebuilt engine for £1800 with restoration photos which at the time was a real bargain as the prices for decent motors was going through the roof but being the 80s it was in the local news shopper rather than on the Internet so you had to get the paper before anyone else for the bargains.

I will say though it was always the little faults that would let it down such as condensers and fuel pumps but generally it was old car stuff rather than any inherent design faults but the one thing the previous owner hadn't changed which was a rust trap was one of the rear wings (did the other) but I got someone to fit a half wing on the back for me and everything is available quite cheaply.

I did become good friends though with an MG parts place in Uckfield as it did need constant maintenance and didn't like neglect but I did use it on commuting to London on a daily basis.

It wasn't the fastest thing in the world by a long shot but could get just over a ton on the straight as I found out when racing a Micra (I think the Micra had the edge on acceleration but mine was better top end lol)

But my Ex girlfriends father has a V8 Chrome bumper though and that thing is a complete different kettle of fish but he has had it polybushed and it handles lovely and he doesn't hang about in it.

ps the oil leaks in the photo is rust proofing and being an old British car it is Mandatory (I think it's actually from my old triumph lol) but it didn't suffer any water leaks but the webesto was quite a new one when I bought the car.

My old one ended up in Germany and would love to know if it's still alive and well but it was a triggers broom even back then.

If you buy one that looks fine, has a long MOT and is fairly priced you can't go far wrong.

I guess my problem is that I don't really know what is fine, especially one that has been painted over. This one has bubbles under the paintwork, which I suspect is where there was surface rust and someone has painted straight over. To be fair, they do state the paintwork has "issues". They also have another orange one in stock that, looking through the window, looks in excellent condition. I did wonder if they mixed extra paint up and threw this one into their paint booth and give it a quick blow over with the remaining paint.

My plan today is to have a chat with the guys there to see what sort of history they have and ask them what they've done to it - especially in regards to the sills noted in the previous MOT. See if they're trying Arthur Daley type excuses, or are honest about what work has been done and what realistically needs to be in the future. Maybe even throw it out there that I'm suspicious on why its so cheap. They should know that anyone who has a little knowledge shouldn't be expecting this to be immaculate where you can't see, and if they don't, they are prepared to make sure you know. Also to have a look inside it too and give them a squeeze as Mally suggests.

Afterwards go back later this evening when they're closed and have a better look over. Possibly taking better pictures too. :)

As others have mentioned, they are great cars, but really don't compare to slightly more modern stuff. Maybe that's why you want one? The MX5 has finally managed to shrug some of its hairdresser image and people really appreciate it for the modernized and reliable version of the original Lotus Elan it really is.

Maybe not the soul of an MGB GT, but that soul comes from character and not all characters are that likable.

Exactly this. I've always had moderns and they've all been capable, but I really want something different. The MGB isn't that different, but it's very different to what I've experienced before. Experiences is what I enjoy in motoring. Often if the experience is bad compared to a modern, the fact the experience is so very different makes it good. If that makes sense?

I've done the MX5 thing twice already. MK1 for 2 years and a MK3 for 5yrs. The MK3 was the wife's to be fair and as she reminds me often, her last 'own' car that she chose, bought and paid to keep on the road.

post-20071-0-23063900-1498657314_thumb.jpg

post-20071-0-04137700-1498657340_thumb.jpg

post-20071-0-92396700-1498657426_thumb.jpg

post-20071-0-31437600-1498657509_thumb.jpg

post-20071-0-82120100-1498657555_thumb.jpg