MGB GT - Mission finally complete! Phew.

SiC

The ugly bits. Fuel gauge fixed itself when I went over a bump! Could do with a bit of fettling on the suspension. I.e. new bushes and springs.

Oh and the seats need refoaming too.

Idle might be a bit low when warm? Under 500rpm. I guess a quick fiddle on the carbs for that. 563184d44ec6136632e4332a0b18965c.jpgd00dbc7fb16571eae3aef7b517cf1802.jpg9691856b72975976f1f877240cdd5616.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Needs painting with engine oil underneath.

Be surprised if the exhaust doesn't bang on the cross member.

Jacking points look good. Do not use them!

Be fine that, just use it for a couple of months you will get used to the seats and the suspension.

That looks pretty sound to be honest. Hallelujah, congratulations and commiserations! I saw a couple of chrome bumper GTs at a car show at the weekend, and found myself slowing down and having a good look, whereas before I'd have walked as straight past - your fault!

Honestly never thought we'd get there.

I have nothing to add other than the colour is horrendous and I love it.

Enjoy. Don't let the shortcomings piss you off. Drive it. Show it off.

But, ffs, don't torture yourself by continuing to look at them online for sale.

Played.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Nice! Looks very good from the pics.

Get some cavity wax or similar on those rusty bits to slow the rot down a bit. If it's been sat around for a while new tyres are a must as soon as you can too.

But, while it's still summer, get it used! Get some miles on the clock to see what breaks or plays up. Something's bound to if it's been sat or done low miles. Stick to local roads for a while then gradually go further as confidence grows. If/when something does show itself as needing attention fixing it at this time of year will be a lot more pleasant!

More than anything though enjoy it!

Guest Hooli

Oh BTW, I think the idle should be around 800rpm on these. So under 500 is too low.

Topped the dashpots up yet? they take engine oil.

I'm exhausted, thank goodness you bought one, I don't think I could have gone on much longer.  I reckon you were in serious danger of an Autoshite consortium turning up at your door one morning and marching you over to the nearest shonky MGB.  Or just finding one on your driveway suddenly.

You've done good, looks honest and a decent colour, worth the wait!

Yeah oil pressure is low at that idle too. About 10-15psi. But I guess really low revs.

Need to get some bits. Have the original parts that the seller changed recently in a box.

He didn't cover the underside so it could be inspected by the next buyer.

On advisories the oil leak was the gasket for the head cover. Rust I'll take a pic later. But basically one of the rails (not castle or sills) has a small rust hole at the end. About 3mm big.

I feel a bit guilty leaving it outside!

Oh and the biggest catch, I had to agree with Liz (wife) that I had to sell the Smart. Both because room and I've spent nearer the top of my budget. :(

It will be ok if you leave it outside so long as you look after it.  Don't put a cover over it as that will rot the thing.  Just enjoy it and when the weather is reasonable take it out, cars don't like to sit around.

When you have some time get as much cavity wax as you can into the doors, sills, rear quarters, valences and anywhere else you can find.

Have fun!  

Yeah oil pressure is low at that idle too. About 10-15psi. But I guess really low revs.

Need to get some bits. Have the original parts that the seller changed recently in a box.

On advisories the oil leak was the gasket for the head cover. Rust I'll take a pic later. But basically one of the rails (not castle or sills) has a small rust hole at the end. About 3mm big.

Oh and the biggest catch, I had to agree with Liz (wife) that I had to sell the Smart. Both because room and I've spent nearer the top of my budget. :(

On my X1/9 the oil pressure reading at idle is zero, it's the sender though. The low oil pressure light never comes on ( which I think is a separate sender). The reading on the merc running is 3 bar, but is gradually dropping when hot at idle. Again I think it's the sender.

Guest Hooli

All rocker covers leak when parked up, it's a cork gasket from memory & they go hard & dry out. 10min job to sort, you might as well do the valve clearances while in there too.

Got a bit of tube? learn the balance the carbs by ear when you adjust the idle. it makes them run a lot nicer.

3mm hole? Drill it out nicely to 5mm grease it all up and put a rubber grommet in there. Not a hole any more but an access port for rustproofing :-)