MGB GT - Mission finally complete! Phew.

SiC

Took a look at this one this evening: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272754496809

A pile of shit compared to what I've seen. Buggered roof, fucked seats (gave me a bad back) and really shit welding on the underside. The seller gave me a drive around which was fun. I had a run around the block too, enjoyed it.

Decided that Red one off AutoTrader was by far the best I've seen and most honest - also a bargain. He dropped it a couple of days ago to £2.5k too. Went to look on Autotrader on my phone to contact him, go over and buy it immediately. Gone. Fuck. Dropped the guy a text as I still had his number. He replied - it sold this afternoon.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck.

Feeling pretty deflated right at this moment. :(

That red heap of shit is back on again. For even more money than they paid for it!

post-20071-0-83369300-1500751750_thumb.jpg

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/mgb-gt-1975/1256403694

Currently at a wife's friends wedding all day today. I might have to just book a day off work and go fetch that IoW one myself. Of course if it hasn't sold yet!

A quick question for those that know on here. Unleaded in the MGB GT? I have read that it's possible to run them on it perfectly fine, even if not converted. Is this really true?

How good are lead replacement supplements nowadays?

I wish I could find the pictures of the MGB that was behind my lockup. It failed it's mot about 20 years ago and they guy who owns it put brand new tyres on it then parked it with the intention of fixing. 20 years later we brushed it out of the space it was parked in, the tyres still had the stickers on them! It had completely dissolved from the roof down leaving the windscreen and boot glass just sitting on the piles of shite he'd left on the car.

Check out this one. The roof is almost comical. Probably one for the just scrap it thread?s-l1600.jpghttp://ebay.co.uk/itm/272774253173

That right there is the reason I hate sunroofs so much!

Still, I suppose you could buy cheap because of that and get a full length Webasto roof put in to get rid of the damage.

Problem is that it appears that Tudor Webasto in the UK have unfortunately stopped making the roofs now. :(

You can get glass versions of the sunroofs reasonably good value - around £300 fitted for a pop-up one. However I'm not sure if a glass roof spoil one of these.

Not having a sunroof is something I have been hung up on. I really like them, especially in a "fun" car. Makes me not mind having a coupe body rather than a convertible. However I know they can and usually leak, plus cost a bit to put right. Also aware that the webasto can rust pretty bad too.

At least with glass you get sunlight through all the time. A freshly installed one too I'd hope is less likely to leak.

A quick question for those that know on here. Unleaded in the MGB GT? I have read that it's possible to run them on it perfectly fine, even if not converted. Is this really true?

How good are lead replacement supplements nowadays?

AFAIK...the late rubbery bumpered ones, had hardened valve seats so its 'splash n go' with the unleaded on them; that one that I had (briefly) had a later engine (off a rubber bumpered one) fitted in an earlier shell, including its rad, which is different from the earlier ones, so the country resto father n son team hacked the top of the front xmember/inner panel to make it fit....

...the thread is goin a few weeks now at this stage; almost as long as I owned mine...can I suggest getting very drunk, and bidding on one on e-bay/ vaguely realising what you have done the following day, checking e'mails etc. and found you've won one? ...seems to work very well for a lotta folk on here, that strategy...

This thread has been an inspiration insomuch that i've been put off MGB's for life and now want a Scimitar instead.Then i only have to worry about a rusty chassis.

Cheque Out the Skimmer on RR. Gasaxe bolts + galv chassis/ 6 mates + keg = body on&off

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/183354/scimitar-se6-diesel-project-progress

https://m.imgur.com/HabQnq0

WCPGW

TS

Jubilees are desireable......say people who are selling them.

Same thing with sunroofs.

Regarding unleaded, one of mine had replacement Ivor Searle engine with unleaded head. Other had old head.

It is said that there is sufficient protection to the valve seats through past use to last many years.

Just put the best unleaded in. Shell V Power is the one we use.

Guest Hooli

Octane booster helped my Midget to not pink, not sure the 'fake lead' bit did anything though.

Besides as a toy I doubt it'd go far enough to ever have an issue & if it did it'd be years down the line.

Guest Hooli

It might runner better due to the higher octane, but I bet it's amazingly expensive.

I expect almost everything out there has got the ignition timing retarded a few degrees extra to prevent pinking on unleaded, you could avoid that by using 'supergreen' as well.

cast heads and steal valve seats I am not sure are the problem with unleaded! it is the exhaust valves themselves. At least it is on the whole in Triumph circles

Me? I would run it on standard unleaded and monitor the rocker clearances periodically. if and indeed when they start to close up I would whip the old head off and exchange it with any of the gazillion speshulists who offer unleaded conversions.