Not Dollywobbler's Proton - Collected

dollywobbler

Amazingly, my video on this car has now had so many views that the YouTube income from it has paid for the car! Amazing. Malaysians really are a proud lot.

So yes, 157,000 views nets you about £50.

However, I'm not going mad with my new-found wealth. I was all set to get the calipers professionally rebuilt, or to just buy a complete replacement, but that really doesn't feel in the spirit of this car. So, I've ordered up a new caliper piston and seal kit, and we'll take it from there. Another £20, so here's hoping the view count continues to rise. I successfully rebuild the calipers on both the Mini and the Range Rover I owned previously (four bloody pistons on the Rangie), so this single-pot caliper should be simple enough. The sliders were still sliding, so I just need to hope the bore isn't damaged.

As an aside, the sunroof doesn't seem to be leaking much now I've risked removing the plastic. I cleaned all the mastic from about the place, applied glycerine to the seal and it seems ok. I doubt it'll ever be entirely Wales-proof - I doubt it ever truly was. Further expenditure has been £13 on the trims that go below the headlamps that a happy Autoshiter saved from a scrappy for me. Decided against getting the bonnet and bumper. I really like the colour of the bumper, and might have a go at painting the bonnet myself. Again, seems to suit the feel of the car more than replacing a sound item just because it's the wrong colour.

I've probably said it before but I am impressed that these survive so well, particularly as they were basically aimed at the sort of folk who woulda bought a Yugo or FSO, in the early days at least. Expectations back then were probably that a decade was your absolute max life expectancy. Therefore I was pleased I saw a saloon the same colour as your front bumper today DW.

• 2 weeks later...

Passed my test in one. G224 MUE

Had another a few years later. Had quite a bit of weight in the boot, didn't realise rear shock mounts were rotten. Both became detached and I boinged my home.

Welded it all up then the bonnet flew up when doing around 50....

Fixed it then sold it to a friends son who put it through a hedge then scrapped it

One boringly white headlamp trim has been fitted. Not very well, as I suspect some bits are missing. I also suspect the front end isn't quite straight after its minor bump before I got it. Still waiting for brake parts, so frustratingly little progress with this one.

DFkrmWaWsAAYWQ6.jpg

One boringly white headlamp trim has been fitted. Not very well, as I suspect some bits are missing. I also suspect the front end isn't quite straight after its minor bump before I got it. Still waiting for brake parts, so frustratingly little progress with this one.

DFkrmWaWsAAYWQ6.jpg

What's the long term plan for the colour?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

After faffing about for an entire morning trying to rebuild the caliper, getting rained on and increasingly angry, I went on Ebay and ordered a refurbed  caliper from GL Autos. It arrived this morning!

Ten minutes work and I had the Proton back on its wheel for the first time in weeks.

DGJ-1kxW0AEAQZu.jpg

Naturally, it started first time. Before fitting the caliper, I ran it in gear and used fine grade paper to clean up the disc a bit. This worked well! Now seems to stop as it should, MOT booked for Thursday. I've now switched the insurance over from the Honda. I have committed to my £50 Proton! Well, £93 with the caliper factored in.

It'll fail on a steering rack gaiter and a small hole near the offside front suspension turret. I'm hoping on nothing else, but did get a slight rattle from the front end during my driveway test. FIngers crossed...

As I knew it'd fail, the lads did a pre-MOT instead, off the system. Expected failure points of welding and rack gaiter, but this tester wasn't happy with the clearly damaged number plates, nor the broken indicator lens. Minor things. Nice to have a drive of it though! It's a bonny little thing.