Not Dollywobbler's Proton - Collected

dollywobbler

A favor please if i could. Mine is missing its autochoke and related bracketry as it was removed when pandamonium owned the car due to it being knackered.

I'm looking at reinstalling mine with a replacement but am not sure of whats missing.

Any chance you could get a few closeup shots of the mechanism if convenient so i can see whats missing?

Ta!

Can still remember the huge buzz around these when launched in the UK at the 1988 Motorshow. The Importer threw a whole bundle of cash on tinsel, promo brochures and smiling Malaysian females to add glitz. These sold incredibly well as we entered the 90s and Proton were considered to be a genuine threat to the established brands.. which then faded away nearly as quickly as it arrived. Can remember thinking the steering column rotary controls were very similar in operation to the Hillman Avengers.

The big bugbear on these was the manual transmission which suffered from weak synchros and diff failures.

This is woefully wonderful, I look forward to reading more of your Proton Saga... or will it turn in to a Proton Saga?... This

must be surely one of the earliest left? ☺️

Nope. Last seconds.

Like you, I'm exasperated that in 2017 people still do not understand the basics of a fixed duration auction.

On cheaper stuff that's going to sell cheap, I use a bidsniper.

On more expensive stuff, there's an argument for getting the price up quickly. It falls outside of more people's price searches and/or can put them off.

Just depends. I think either way, you're dealing with the biggest platform and audience in the UK. It will find it's approximate value regardless.

PS. There's also a nice purple one for sale on FB ATM. Looks very nice.

With the Bluebird away, I fully intended to crack on investigating the Proton's brakes. Instead, I ripped the gaffer tape away to free the sunroof.

DD-cz3HXoAESwqH.jpg

There was a load of moisture trapped underneath it, so the sheet of plastic taped over the sunroof had clearly been breached. It pretty much disintegrated...

I've cleaned the seals up as best I can, and removed all of the old manky sealant. It's everywhere! They've really tried to seal this, but have mostly probably just made things worse. I used glycerine to try and perk up the seal.

It doesn't help that there are no drains in the front corners, though there are some at the rear - presumably because air/water pressure at speed can otherwise overcome the seal. Initial 'bottle of water' tests are promising. To be continued...

It looks like that roof is a 'cassette'... Out slide obv, not under.

Presumably on the production line? Will be bolted to welded 'stringers' on the roof skin.

Didn't know about this roof option. Skoda 130LSE had a 'jigsaw/screw in' jobbie, dockside ;)

TS

Only weak spot really on gearbox is the main and lay shaft taper roller bearings wear if oil changed neglected or the wrong oil is used. Assuming its ever changed at all.

And yes to sunroof. 'Cough'

With the sunroof fixed*, I decided to start investigating the brakes.

DEIeeSXXYAAFaGi.jpg

Didn't take long to find the issue. The seal had torn, causing this.

DEIeafzWsAE1pDf.jpg

Nice to have the luxury of time for once, so I'm considering rebuilding the caliper rather than paying £48 for a replacement, which might not even be the right one.

I like it! I like this less, but thankfully it seems pretty localised... An MOT fail for sure though.

19884086_10155490627758200_5532023461269

Main issue now is insurance. Due to OMG JOURNO with business use cover, it's getting a bit out of hand. I am trying trade cover, but they keep asking difficult questions, like do you actually make a profit... I'm not sure how ROFFLES stack up in the profit and loss accounts. I have been getting lax with receipts as well. More fool me.

I like it! I like this less, but thankfully it seems pretty localised... An MOT fail for sure though.

19884086_10155490627758200_5532023461269

Main issue now is insurance. Due to OMG JOURNO with business use cover, it's getting a bit out of hand. I am trying trade cover, but they keep asking difficult questions, like do you actually make a profit... I'm not sure how ROFFLES stack up in the profit and loss accounts. I have been getting lax with receipts as well. More fool me.

Insurance really is a bollocks isn't it. If you do anything other than own the same car for 3 years at a time they struggle to cope

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Don't be a journalist, be an editor.

Journalists are always searching for a 'fearless expose' and are consequently trouble.

I have taken to saying that. Problem with trade cover is they worry about you driving loads of cars for features. I'm insured by the publisher for that!