Not Dollywobbler's Proton - Collected

dollywobbler

Yeah I was tempted by the free lift to Wales but decided driving a new car without tax or insurance home in the early hours of the morning with work next day exceeded my risk appetite.

Train ticket for £16 has been booked and collection will commence Sunday and thanks to the bus museum I have a selection of free tapes to listen to on the way home. I am actually quite excited by this now, it's been a good while since I have had a car this shite.

post-82-0-16147200-1507542299_thumb.jpg

Yeah I was tempted by the free lift to Wales but decided driving a new car without tax or insurance home in the early hours of the morning with work next day exceeded my risk appetite.

Train ticket for £16 has been booked and collection will commence Sunday and thanks to the bus museum I have a selection of free tapes to listen to on the way home. I am actually quite excited by this now, it's been a good while since I have had a car this good.

IMG_20171009_103941.jpg

That's the spirit!

Apparently my current insurer Footman James don't consider a very early UK example of the worlds first Malaysian car to be a classic :( Going to have to do the whole ring round bollocks tomorrow. Anyone got any suggestions of who I should try first?

I have been on classic insurance only for the last decade so would really prefer to not have to start having modern insurance though I guess this car may be a cheap way of building up no claims.

Apparently my current insurer Footman James don't consider a very early UK example of the worlds first Malaysian car to be a classic :( Going to have to do the whole ring round bollocks tomorrow. Anyone got any suggestions of who I should try first?

I have been on classic insurance only for the last decade so would really prefer to not have to start having modern insurance though I guess this car may be a cheap way of building up no claims.

That's odd because by H reg Proton is currently insured on a classic policy with Footman James for £136 a year, I even had my N reg Proton insured with them last year for the same price.

That's odd because by H reg Proton is currently insured on a classic policy with Footman James for £136 a year, I even had my N reg Proton insured with them last year for the same price.

I may have to try them again tomorrow then, why does insurance have to be such a ball ache? They just seem to make it up randomly.

I'm sure they do!  RobT had Nugget the Corsa B on a super cheap policy but neither Mike nor I could get any insurer to entertain it on a classic policy or a sensibly priced regular policy.  Others have found it's the cheapest car they can get quotes on, but don't want it for other reasons.

The Princess also has this issue, it's too old for most modern policies and a number of classic insurers won't insure for reasons known only to themselves.

FJ are a law unto themselves, had my Favorit insured for 2 years on a classic, but the renewal was due not long after I sold it to michael1703 formerly of this parish, and got a letter from them saying they would no longer insure it under a classic policy, work that one out. Classic insurance is getting a piss take now

It's also a price thing (well it was with me and Peter Best).

They would not change my rover insurance from a 214 worth about £500 to another 214 (same year,) for about £600.

They were more than happy to swap to a different newer 214 worth £1200 though.

Just something you may want to factor in when you ring round.

Before doing the big ring round of the classic insurers I thought I would try the comparison websites. I have had a quote of £212.73 for normal insurance from Lancaster which is actually not as horrific as I thought it would be considering I have zero no claims. I may actually go for this and start building up normal insurance no claims as I can see this problem of more modern usable stuff not been allowed on classic policies getting worse and it may be helpful to have a normal policy waiting in the wings just in case.

I can see this problem of more modern usable stuff not been allowed on classic policies getting worse and it may be helpful to have a normal policy waiting in the wings just in case.

This x1000

I can see a time when only MOT/TAX exempt stuff ends up being insurable as classic.  The thing is, 25 year old cars are now eminently more usable in 2017 than 25 year old cars in 1992.  (I'd not have fancied 30k a year in a Hillman Hunter)

Also, insurance is just one massive racket anyway; if they carry on the way they're going they'll make more money out of 'proper policies' anyway.  Call it a cartel, call it what you like.

Plus - aren't you supposed to have a car on a proper policy in order to have classic insurance?  Every time I've taken out a classic policy (probably 10 times in 2 years) they've always asked if I own any other cars, what they are and what NCB I have.

Plus - aren't you supposed to have a car on a proper policy in order to have classic insurance?  Every time I've taken out a classic policy (probably 10 times in 2 years) they've always asked if I own any other cars, what they are and what NCB I have.

Not that I am aware of! If so I have been doing it wrong for years with no one noticing.

Not that I am aware of! If so I have been doing it wrong for years with no one noticing.

Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying (but I'm not accusing you of doing that either!!)  What I'm saying is, I've always been asked what other cars I have, how they're insured, who owns them and what they're used for.  They might not give a shit at all, but I wonder why they'd ask if it doesn't matter?

Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying (but I'm not accusing you of doing that either!!)  What I'm saying is, I've always been asked what other cars I have, how they're insured, who owns them and what they're used for.  They might not give a shit at all, but I wonder why they'd ask if it doesn't matter?

Oh I didn't think you were accusing me of anything :) I think they ask for all that extra stuff as if you have more cars it helps spread the risk as you will probably be driving your classic less or something, or it could just be a load of crap.

I am surprised we don't have at least one person on this forum who works or has worked for an insurance company and can explain for us how it all works and why it seems so illogical most of the time.

I've always been asked what other cars I have, how they're insured, who owns them and what they're used for.  They might not give a shit at all, but I wonder why they'd ask if it doesn't matter?

So they can flog you more tat policies? I've been asked about all sorts of irrelevant stuff, like house insurance expiry date (for motor insurance). FRO. I'm not interested in this cross-selling bollocks. How many cars in the household? Nosey bastards.

So they can flog you more tat policies? I've been asked about all sorts of irrelevant stuff, like house insurance expiry date (for motor insurance). FRO. I'm not interested in this cross-selling bollocks. How many cars in the household? Nosey bastards.

Often if there are more cars in the household the policy will be (fractionally) cheaper, as you're likely to be splitting the mileage you do over more vehicles.

You don't earn no claims, but on the other hand you don't need no claims either.

But, if you have some no-claims, you can assign them to a classic policy to "maintain" them and stop them expiring after 2 years of not being used.

The added bonus is that as the no-claims are not being "used", even if you have a claim, the no-claims are not affected.

what value are you advising? - if you say less than £500 they treat as a banger and not a classic. I've just insured my N reg Proton saloon on a classic policy - just told em a grand no issues. However when I first started ringing I said £400 and they woudn't touch me. 

I have been saying it's worth £1000 which you would have to be on drugs to think is a realistic value for this car, however I don't think it's illegal to have a vastly inflated view of a cars value otherwise the nations jails would be overflowing with eBay sellers from the eBay "bargains" thread.

The Tipo, 405, and AX are all insured through FJ for £1000 value each. I paid £295 (Tipo), £525 (AX) and more than rofl value for the latter.

There hasn't been one working Tipo for sale through any sales site since I got mine.

There hasn't been any AX phase ones for sale since I got mine under £1000.

The 405....well I stretched the truth but ah well.

How many other G reg Protons are left? Shit let's not start that one again!

Have you tried Hagerty? They have been decent on quotes for cars belonging to Six-Cylinder and I and they do support the Festival of the Unexceptional, so appreciate that classic cars come in many varieties. IIRC, yours is 1990 so at 27 years old, it should qualify under most classic insurance schemes on age alone...

There is someone from Hagerty on AS, but I can't remember who!