Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Things I said I'd never do again Number 94 - own another X350 Jaaag

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#31 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 2,217 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:11 PM

I would say that it is the paint unsticking rather than corrosion.

The folding mirrors are an easy fix.  You pull off the downlighter bulb holder underneath the mirror and then spray oil and then spray grease into the mechanism whilst working it backwards and forwards.

HID headlights are as likely to be the ballast as the bulb. Also they suffer from dodgy earth points where all the wires are attached to the body just behind the headlights.  Swap the bulbs over left to right.  If the fault moves with the bulb then it's the bulb, if it doesn't then its the ballast or earth or something.

The V6 is probably the one to have and on LPG it will be cheaper to run than the diesel and a lot more robust.  A tatty V6 X350 on LPG has to be the ultimate cheap daily.

Also you have 18" Dynamic wheels which give the best ride whilst being the best looking 18" wheels that they came with.

Do you remember me trying to put you off an X350 due to my previous one?  I am such a hypocrite!

I had the earth issues (and HID problems) on my previous one - will I never learn?

1994 Range Rover Classic "The Crying Pumpkin"

2003 Jaaaag XJ 260K miles and counting

2000 Ford Mondeo Verona 1.8 pez FOR SALE Now with new As owner

2000 Ford Puma 1.7 - Roffled and now with new AS owner

1968 AMC Rebel SST convertible (working and road legal but in limp home mode)

1967 AMC Rebel SST convertible (superior body and originality being slowly raided for spares for the '68) Off road for at least the last 25 years

1956 Chevy 210 4 door hardtop - bought in 2000 and still in my garage - I even do a bit of work on it occasionally - long term project

2005 MG ZT-T awaiting completion of engine transplant of spare V6 after OMG HGF on the engine that "never has that problem"

2005 Land Rover Discovery - for long trips and moving engines 

#32 OFFLINE   dieselnutjob

dieselnutjob

• Full Members
  • 2,601 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:38 PM

Yes I remember.

I am not really a true shitest, more someone who prefers spending 6 or 7 or 8 grand on a nice car and getting ten years out of it if possible, mending things myself to make it economically viable.

So I ignored you  :mrgreen:

It is impossible not be a hypocrite.  I think everyone is.

• Manbearpig and AMC Rebel like this

Welcome to Autoshite's Closet Peugeot Fanciers Society.

594039.png96811.png 604 blog

Low cost diagnostic tool for Rover, MG & Landrover cars www.pscan.eu

#33 OFFLINE   richardthestag

richardthestag

• Full Members
  • 2,304 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationBuckinghamshite and Devonshite

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:32 AM

Can't tax as I have 11 numbers and DVLA says I need 12 - adding a zero used to work, but they seem to have put a stop to that - bastard public paying them money!

looks nice for the money

I had ^^^ rfl issue

the 12 digit number is not on the new keeper slip at the bottom of p2 of the v5c but half way down p3. If you dont have the whole v5c then a trip to the post orifice may be required

Shitroen C4 GP 2007 1.6HDi - Wife's daily written off, farewell trusty but slightly unpredictable steed

Pug 307 - son's daily runner Sold to Arthur Foxhake

Range Rover Vogue 1993 - my daily runner

Daewoo Matiz 2002 - Sold

Jaguar x308 Sovereign 4 litre - nicked by Fathathestag might be up 4sayle soon

Triumph Staaag 1973 - cheaper than a mistress.. just

Range Rover 1972 - ongoing extensive restoration

Range Rover 1972 - complete shed but in line for restoration

Land Rover 1969 SIIa SWB - belongs to Fathathestag but maintained and welded by me

BMW E46 318i touring - sold to hhhugues

#34 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 2,217 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:45 AM

I've seen a few things online about 11 vs 12 digits - one version says that it's due to that balls up with the stolen V5s

My sketchy memory was that they actually reissued them all but it seems not -

https://www.gov.uk/g...ion-certificate

1967 AMC Rebel SST convertible (superior body and originality being slowly raided for spares for the '68) Off road for at least the last 25 years

1956 Chevy 210 4 door hardtop - bought in 2000 and still in my garage - I even do a bit of work on it occasionally - long term project

2005 MG ZT-T awaiting completion of engine transplant of spare V6 after OMG HGF on the engine that "never has that problem"

#35 OFFLINE   uk_senator

uk_senator

• Full Members
  • 342 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationThat there London

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:25 AM

I`ve been considering one of these to replace my X308 XJR for a while, sometimes I`m into it, sometimes I`m not.. I love being able to hit 60 in 5 in mine, but to be paying £450-ish RFL on an X350-R compared to my £280-ish in my one would piss me right off, especially as I only do about 1000 miles a year in my Jags. I`m a tight bastard like that..

That said, my kids, now both well over 6`, do struggle in the back of mine, these 350`s are much better in the accommodation department, & I love the fact they`re so light, but part of the reason I go off them is the overall height & bloatiness compared to the sleek, trim styling of the X308.. 

So many swings & roundabouts.  :shock:

• AMC Rebel likes this

Fiat 127 Super, Panda 750L, Mk2 Uno 45, Mk2 Uno 60S, 2x Seicento Sportings, Jaguar XJR-8, Porsche Boxster, Daimler XJ40, Bluebird estate.

#36 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 2,217 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:36 AM

Tend to agree that the earlier ones are the "proper" Jags in terms of appearance.

On this one I've sacrificed some of the practicality by having a massive LPG tank in the boot - but the seller did give me the jag roof bars :)

• uk_senator likes this

#37 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 2,217 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:08 PM

Having a crack at the lights -

DSC_0186.JPG

DSC_0187.JPG

DSC_0188.JPG

• dome, Sudsprint, FakeConcern and 2 others like this

#38 OFFLINE   Brodders

Brodders

• Full Members
  • 627 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationStowmarket

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:00 PM

Nice job, those are definitely much clearer.

What did you use to do that? The old toothpaste trick made mine a bit clearer, but yours are much better than mine were after half an hour of scrubbing.
2001 Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE
1993 Renault Safrane 2.0 RT Automatic

#39 OFFLINE   The Reverend Bluejeans

The Reverend Bluejeans

I blame Thatcher

• Full Members
  • 5,825 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationOn the shitter reading Practical Classics

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:20 PM

There is a heavily damaged one of these in U Pull It scrapyard near York. Engine, box, diff are all still in it - 3.0 petrol V6.

Autoshite. It's like Pistonheads...but without the wankers.

MASTER RACE MOTORS.

1989 F  730i. Prestigious.

1999 S  E36 318i Touring. Daily shitter.

1994 M 318Ti - Track whore

#40 OFFLINE   The Reverend Bluejeans

The Reverend Bluejeans

I blame Thatcher

• Full Members
  • 5,825 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationOn the shitter reading Practical Classics

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:21 PM

Attached Images

• 16895566_1_L.jpg

Autoshite. It's like Pistonheads...but without the wankers.

MASTER RACE MOTORS.

1989 F  730i. Prestigious.

1999 S  E36 318i Touring. Daily shitter.

1994 M 318Ti - Track whore

#41 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 2,217 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:36 PM

That'll polish out

#42 OFFLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 2,860 posts
  • 33 thanks

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:29 PM

These are the ford duratec with a different inlet manifold aren't they? Are they RWD in this model jag? I'm looking for a likely engine donor

#43 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 2,217 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:14 PM

These are the ford duratec with a different inlet manifold aren't they? Are they RWD in this model jag? I'm looking for a likely engine donor

Not an expert on the engine but sounds about right - the 3.0 they used in the Mondeo I think - as you say tweaked a little and turned around to drive the rear wheels.

#44 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 2,217 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:17 PM

Nice job, those are definitely much clearer.

What did you use to do that? The old toothpaste trick made mine a bit clearer, but yours are much better than mine were after half an hour of scrubbing.

I bought a kit from Home Bargains (I think it was - or maybe The Range) £10.  

This one -

https://www.amazon.c...restoration kit

According to the box it won some auto express test

#45 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 2,217 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:12 AM

Update on LPG aspects.

I think the tank is 80 litres - I am running as far as I can, currently at 310ish miles on this tank. I have been on the red light for 50+ miles

As it is a proper conversion, road tax is £10 a year cheaper too.
  • dome likes this

#46 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 2,217 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:15 AM

The bleeper finally started at 350 miles.  It was 70 litres to fill up.   I make that about 22 to the gallon which sounds credible.  I have paid from 49p - 62p a litre for LPG.  This seems pretty decent on the whole.

• egg and Rave like this

#47 OFFLINE   dome

dome

• Full Members
  • 1,821 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationPeoples Republic of Fife

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:39 AM

My S4 does similar miles per gallon on gas. The tank is smaller at 60-70 litres, the benefit to this is I can pay contactless to fill the tank up which I haven't got tired of doing yet  :-D

I can apply to get the cheaper tax, not sure if it's worth if for £10 a year though.

• AMC Rebel likes this

#48 OFFLINE   egg

egg

Just another content provider

• Full Members
  • 2,940 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationDown the Bay, Kent

Posted 15 July 2017 - 07:10 AM

Great, so you're getting 40 to the gallon in petrol cost terms. Brill.
  • AMC Rebel likes this
1993 Ford Mondeo 1.6 base, 1993 Ford Mondeo 1.6 GLX , 2002 Ford Fusion 3 1.6 pez

#49 OFFLINE   Rave

Rave

• Full Members
  • 511 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationSE London

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:52 PM

The Jag heads are quite different as I understand it- bucket and shim rather than finger follower. Also have VVT.

https://en.wikipedia...ar_AJ-V6_engine

The 3.0 Jag engine has about 240 brake as standard vs. 220 in the Mondeo, erm, ST220. As a donor the Jag has other advantages too- widespread availability in rusty (or otherwise MOT failed) X- and S-Types, Longitudinal RWD in S-Types and XJs...

I always idly wonder whether I could sling one in my Mondeo 3.0 Ghia X to pep it up a bit (they have the same engine as the ST220, but more restrictive exhaust manifolds). Doubt I'll ever get round to it even if it is possible...

#50 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 2,217 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:54 PM

Update -

It needed rear discs and pads for the MOT.  Also needed a wiring repair (what a Jag?) to the horn circuit.

The horn didn't work, and I hadn't noticed, which suggests my road rage has calmed down more than I thought.  

Oh, I forgot, I had an oil service and the aircon repaired a while back.

I also mended the HID light.  The ballast on these is expensive - the earliest types use a 12 pin plug and are about twice the price of later ones.  I found via some Googling that Chrysler 300 ones are the same so scored a second hand one for 50 quid (cheap by normal standards).   Then I broke the burner as I took it out, so changed that too.

The fasteners on the inner wing plastic liners both snapped as I removed them to get to the headlamp (you have to lower the bumper out of the way a bit).  I replaced them using some old fasteners from the undertray on my MGZT.

The only other things that have rally happened is that I got the "Restricted Performance" message and engine light the other week on a long motorway trip.  I reset the light using my cheapo code reader, but it came back.  Then I ran out of LPG so used it on petrol for a while.

What a difference! It's like driving a different car - loads more power and torque and no dodgy messages.  Think I need to find an LPG place to give it an LPG service. 

• Fat_Pirate and richardthestag like this

#51 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 2,217 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:56 PM

So far, so good - about 3K (miles) in a car that is quiet and relaxing to drive.  Not bad for the price.

• Tickman likes this

#52 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 2,217 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:43 PM

WP_20170819_006.jpg

WP_20170819_005.jpg

WP_20170804_001.jpg

• alf892, privatewire and Lacquer Peel like this

#53 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 2,217 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:02 AM

Weekend plan is to fit these which arrived this morning to (hopefully) stop the grinding sound from the front end.  It looks as if the inner pads have worn to the metal - they have worn more than the outer ones due to sticking sliders I suspect.  No doubt the whole job will turn to pigshit when I start it - will I never learn?

IMG_3585.JPG

• Heidel_Kakao, richardthestag and Tickman like this

#54 OFFLINE   Heidel_Kakao

Heidel_Kakao

• Full Members
  • 688 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationBrierley Hill

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:12 AM

I do love shiny new brake discs, pity they don't stay that way for long though :(

• AMC Rebel likes this
1981 Suzuki SC100 GX "Whizzkid" (broken and off the road)
1990 Proton Aeroback 1.5 GLS
1993 VW Corrado VR6
1996 Citroen XM 2.0 Turbo VSX auto estate
1996 Citroen XM 2.5TD VSX manual estate

#55 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 2,217 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:15 PM

Early start made - so far, easier than I expected.

Er and I am an idiot for letting them get this bad.

IMG_3590.JPG

IMG_3591.JPG

Hmmmmmm - is that disc on the wrong side?  They do seem to be "handed"

#56 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 2,217 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:40 PM

Decided to swap sides - both now done - much easier than I expected actually.
  • richardthestag, The Moog and Rave like this

#57 OFFLINE   Rave

Rave

• Full Members
  • 511 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationSE London

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:32 AM

Did you get the LPG system looked at yet? I'm interested to know if it perked it up!

#58 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 2,217 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:56 AM

No i haven't - I ran on petrol for a while and it seemed to like that - now back on LPG and running OK, but performance is still down compared with petrol.  Considering a lot of my trips have been long motorway ones (I've done about 300 miles on motorways this weekend already) the performance issue isn't a big deal - it'll cruise at an indicated 90 (er I mean 70 of course officer) uphill and down dale for as long as other traffic permits.

#59 OFFLINE   AMC Rebel

AMC Rebel

• Full Members
  • 2,217 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:57 AM

Caliper is sticking I think though so need to sort that out - it's the pistons not the sliders.  I thought it was a bit of a challenge to wind back in :)

#60 OFFLINE   Rave

Rave

• Full Members
  • 511 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationSE London

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:27 AM

No i haven't - I ran on petrol for a while and it seemed to like that - now back on LPG and running OK, but performance is still down compared with petrol.  Considering a lot of my trips have been long motorway ones (I've done about 300 miles on motorways this weekend already) the performance issue isn't a big deal - it'll cruise at an indicated 90 (er I mean 70 of course officer) uphill and down dale for as long as other traffic permits.

I suppose you could just keep a splash of petrol in the tank and switch back on the fly for when you need the extra 20% performance for a 'safe overtake' ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users