Forum Funding - Statement of account UPDATED 04/11/2021

Stanky

I can’t see it not being transparent as it’s being suggested up front, but again that’s just my view.

Well it is and it isn't. The idea is being put forward now, but the fund (in my mind anyway) was set up for a different purpose - forum hosting costs - as a answer to "where does the money go?". So we get bills of set amounts and settle them.  Donation sums outbound aren't set amounts, but are just plucked out of the air. I feel bad enough about bringing this up at this particular time, but it does need tidying up as it seems the hosting fund is suffering from mission creep.

Looking back, we've already set a precedent and made a donation before - £50 donated out of the pot to St Elizabeth Hospice in memory of John/Oldford.

Like I said, I've no objection to a separate fundraiser as and when the need arises.

I entirely agree with Tickman's logic, if we're going to donate to charity a mental health one seems appropriate.

I also see what Eddie Honda is saying, this should really be separate from the forum running costs.

Someone had the excellent idea of donating something to Hendry's family (I liked the idea of a premium bond for his daughter) and I'd like to put something into this if it happens.  I'm willing to administer this but I didn't know him at all, so perhaps it's best if someone who knew him and has contact details does this?

I missed out on the fundraiser this month, will try to be better organised next month.

That was my idea. Ultimately a collection should go to the family for them to decide what to do with it but I think I personally would prefer to do something for his wee girl. A little something on her 18th to say her Dad had some chums who wanted to do a little something to help get you started would be a great gesture, and certainly more useful than seeing it spent on some plastic toy to amuse her for five minutes.

A JustGiving page shouldnt be too tricky to start off and has the GiftAid advantages too. Publicise it on the site, maybe spread the word to non Shiters too?

Thanks for the input people. What I propose is that I open up a special FundRazr page for this month with the sole aim of raising money for a memorial wreath or similar for Hendry's funeral, and the idea of buying premium bonds for his daughter is a very good one I think personally.

There will be no Fundrazr for hosting costs this month. We have enough money in the account to more than cover this, and no anticipated costs on the horizon so that can be covered from existing funds.

The Fundrazr will be for raising money in Hendry's memory this month. What we end up doing with this is currently TBC, but ideas are welcomed. I'll get a proper post up with a state of finances and whatnot later on.

Monthly update on forum finances.

Last months FundRazr pretty much hit the £90 target and we reached £87.00, thanks to all who donated.

Costs this month have been £83.00 for the hosting and backups. Fundrazr admin costs and paypal processing fees were a further £8.70

Combined, the costs were £91.70

The current balance in the account is therefore +£366.82

This month, in memory of the untimely passing of Hendry, the FundRazr will be put towards a wreath at his funeral, and a donation to a suitable charity in his memory. There will be no limit or target set, and we'll run it for a month.

The hosting costs this month will come from reserves, there are no foreseen costs beyond the usual things above.

The link to the new FundRazr page can be found HERE

Again, all donations will go towards the memorial for Hendry.

FundRazr as stated being for wreath and a donation to Charity.

Has the idea of money for his Daughter been dropped? Or is that separate later maybe.

Could affect the amount I wish to donate.

It's possible as it stands that a charity may make a lot of money here and a daughter very little.

• 5 weeks later...

Last months FundRazr was really nice to see, the forum raised over a thousand pounds for an Epilepsy charity which was a cause close to Greg Hendry's parent hearts as it has touched their family in the past.

As per the last March update, we used existing funds to cover costs this month which were the usual total of £83.00 for the hosting and backups.

The current balance in the account is therefore +£283.82

As before, we'll keep this as a reserve in case of unexpected costs, and open a new Fundrazr campaign to cover the costs for the next month. The target will be £90 to cover Fundrazr fees, hosting and backups. As we're increasing the money in the coffers each month I'm going to reduce the funding targets to use up some of the surplus.

Again, all donations are very much appreciated.

• 5 weeks later...

Last Month we raised £100, due to some reductions in the Fundrazr fees, the costs - including hosting back backups were a total of  £87.98.

The current balance in the account is therefore +£295.84

As before, we'll keep this as a reserve in case of unexpected costs, and open a new Fundrazr campaign to cover the costs for the next month. The target will be £90 to cover Fundrazr fees, hosting and backups. As we're increasing the money in the coffers each month I'm going to reduce the funding targets to use up some of the surplus.

Again, all donations are very much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I was away at the weekend so just catching up now. Here's how we're doing.

Last Month we raised £97, due to some reductions in the Fundrazr fees, the costs - including hosting and backups, and a renewal of the forum software licence  were a total of  £114.95.

The current balance in the account is therefore +£277.89

We'll keep this as a reserve in case of unexpected costs, and open a new Fundrazr campaign to cover the costs for the next month. The target will be £90 to cover Fundrazr fees, hosting and backups.

Again, all donations are very much appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

They aren't ideal, but a necessary evil for keeping complete transparency on the amount of donations coming in. I'm happy to look at other options but from what I could tell all the fundraising sites were much of a muchness WRT processing fees (which PayPal take), STRIPE for card transactions and the amount the site takes on top as a service charge.

Donations appreciated though, thanks all.

Mmm, I'm a bit funny about that as well.

Not knocking the Fundrazr platform or anything, as obviously there's hefty costs in setting up and running such a site - I'm just not sure why they want a 'donation' that may well amount to 40% of the amount being given to the cause, if they're *also* levying fees on the total raised.

I mean, maybe their fees to the fundraiser's cause are much less than other sites because of this donation element, in which case that's fair enough (and they should be trumpeting that).

Sometimes I knock it off entirely, sometimes I do add an extra quid or so.

Agree they may do better overall if they asked for a small amount (50p).

But hey ho.

Donation donated for this month.

• 2 weeks later...

Monthly update on how we're doing.

Last Month we raised £77.00, due to some reductions in the Fundrazr fees, the costs - including hosting and backups were a total of  £87.93

The current balance in the account is therefore +£266.96

We'll keep this as a reserve in case of unexpected costs, and open a new Fundrazr campaign to cover the costs for the next month. The target will be £90 to cover Fundrazr fees, hosting and backups.

The link to the new FundRazr page can be found HERE. I've been tardy is sorting out an alternative so please be aware the "Help us keep fundraising free" £2 fee is OPTIONAL - just take it off before donating by clicking the 'Change Amount' button then selecting 'Not this time'. I'm looking at an alternative fundraising platform which accepts PayPal payments, has sensible fees and allows <£100 funding targets.

Again, all donations are very much appreciated