Where to start.......

purplebargeken

• 3 weeks later...

I'd forgotten that I'd started this off. Shit memory.

The drift boyz still inhabit the 300 forums, there is still the market for these as drift cars, well not so much the vario powered ones's as pain to convert.

I had someone come over and machine polish the 340 as there were a myriad of scratches along both sides where the original giffer owner seemed to prefer to park on his driveway with the aid of bushes as a guide. It is shinier than a shiny thing now. The interior has come up like new.However, this is not such a shocker as the car is a one owner from new, genuine 14,000 mile example. 

I will need to source a drivers side door as this one has a couple of dings in it and no plastic trim strip - this does spoil the overall look but what can you do.

The 66 is a former Wuvvum-mobile.You might recall he purchased it from an auction. Prior to this it was museum owned and before that,a little old lady from Essex owned it. The car is actually a Colchester car.

The interior has come up like new.

340%20Interior_zpsan8y5kcu.jpg

The exterior is in a sad place with a few dents and rust blebs scattered over the car. 

Such a shame as the paint comes up lovely when polished. I'm picking up a replacement bonnet and front panel for it on Sunday as these are both damaged and rusty. Replacement is the easier option for the bonnet.The front panel will need to be painted in the correct Kobina white.

I will need to replace the light switch as it is a bit hit and miss,or it could just be a wobbly connection in the switch itself. I have a replacement indicator/horn stalk, I replaced a tired front indicator lens and have replacement rear light lenses to fit. Oh,also replaced a missing hubcap.

The main issue is that it seems to need a new diaphragm as it doesn't seem to want to settle in Daf cruising mode when you ease off the pedal when suitable velocity is achieved. We shall see. I have a new rocker cover gasket to fit too.

I think it's fair to say that the ONLY reason that 340 has survived as is, is because of the comedy transmission.  3 door cars in a smart colour rarely escaped the "F7P" treatment.

This was mine which I bought for £80 in 2006/7. It had about 80k on it and drove like a dream.  The plan was to do a banger rally in it or something, but it never happened.  Sold it for £300 after a few months.  As I say, we've had a few of these over the years and I like their simplistic charm.  I'd like to see this one at some stage, Ken.  Good luck with it!

28854977262_6aabf877eb_o.jpg1989 Volvo 340 DL by Bornite Identity, on Flickr

Daf 66 update.

Trundled over to the barn near Chelmsford today to meet Danny who has expressed an interest in the Transit. Plus had arranged tomeet my mate and his good lady there to enable Volvo 66 parts liberation.

Transit now has a deposit taken, the Daf has a lovely bonnet in not the correct shade of white and also a front panel in the same slightly incorrect shade of white.

Daf has some air in the fuel line, not sure where it is coming from,will need to check. Drove lovely all the way along the M25 and A12.

The Daf looks much better with the repalcement bonnet,even if it will need painting.

The Daf is slightly more comfortable than the 340 which has very squidgy marshmallow soft seats,whereas the seating is much firmer in the Daf.

The Daf was really lovely to drive, and my Daf 55 owning mate declared it very nippy for a 66.

Must change the rocker cover gasket as it is leaking quite a bit.

My ultimate hope would be to find the address of the former owner and take the same photo as she had taken outside the house on the day of purchase or whatever it was. That would be rather cool. Can't wait to fit the replacement front panel.