NOVA declaration?

Lankytim

Hi all.

I've been offered a cheap van locally, the reason it's cheap is that it's foreign registered and it would "cost too much" to get it registered over here. I'm assuming it's because it's been in the UK for a while and has racked up a big penalty which will be payable under the NOVA scheme. 

Is there a way around this? Isn't it possible to to tell the DVLA that I drover it over from France yesterday? (I'm assuming this NOVA only applies to EU countries?)

I'm sure someone on here went through something similar not long ago. Was it Nigel Bickle?

I just registered a car Nova, you know.

It's not a militant thing at all. The people down there in Dover are truly helpful and I guarantee you it's not their intention to kick you into the bog.

That 5 a day rule is in place to reign in professional importers doing stupid things.

If you explain to them what the situation is and that you are just a private individual, they are going to rubber stamp it through.

Give them a call at 03000 583020 - this number will get you straight through to the vehicle department.

I've recently got a NOVA cert for my TS250 "field bike" which will be getting rebuilt later in the year. My experience mirrors Junkmans, very helpful people and I was given the benefit of the doubt. I'm guessing that they are very well versed in "Polish white van man" not registering when he should so should be able to give you a definitive answer as to how much it'll cost you. Potentially it could be 20% of the full purchase price so definitely worth  giving them a call first.

I recall a post saying that if you bought it here, and declare it as soon as purchased, they treat your date of purchase as the date of import and don't charge.

I guess in theory, if you bought it off a foreign national, they could have been visiting rather than intending to import it, and if they then decide to sell its only been legally imported when someone buys it with the intent of UK registering it.

Or something.

Can some one remind me of the catch if someone else has done the nova declaration, but not registered the bike?

I'm looking (half heartedly) at one that falls into this description. Can't help thinking there is something I need to be careful of. 

Well, I've seen this van, and it's shite so I don't think i'll be getting it. The seller reckoned that it's going to cost £300 to get it registered in the UK though, she's got all the Bulgarian paperwork and the van has already been registered in the UK before on a 53 plate. Sounds a bit expensive.