Modern shite and corrosion

bunglebus

I didn't when I contacted VW on a 2004 Golf. They did a paint thickness test at their approved body shop, which came back as original paint. He was confident it would be accepted. I sold it before they confirmed it for sure though! This was about 2 or 3 years ago.

Watch out though, as VAG will only cover the cost of a new wing and fresh paint. No colour match/etc, which will be extra. If you're not bothered about a wing slightly different colour (i.e. what it came out the factory with fresh paint), then it'd be free...

Yep, I got my wings and the fronts of the sills done FOC, but had to pay £228 for blending, was originally going to be £75 per door, but I had a deep scrape through the paint i asked them to repair since the door was getting blended anyway, they agreed to sort that while doing it but said as the full passenger door was now effectively going to be painted id have to have that blended into the rear passenger door, that was another £65+VAT, so not too bad and a really good job done on them. First paint job Ive ever had done on a car that I was happy with and didnt need to send back to be redone. 

I could probably have got away without it though, not because it wouldve looked ok, because it wouldnt, but because its already 50 shades of silver anyway, its a strange beigey silver officially called "silver leaf" or "white gold" and the plastics like bumpers, fuel cap door, and mirror covers are all a noticeably different shade to the metal work. Plus to my knowledge the car has had paintwork at least 3 times that I know of for a fact while my dad owned it, plus a couple of smart repairs, and the guy in the bodyshop who did some paintwork for my dad reckons its had paint in the past before he owned it, so its a bit patchwork quilt.

With the surface rust coming through, the various different paint jobs and some scratches and chips id love it to be blown over in the same colour on the bits VW havent repaired.