Travelling to France

stripped fred

Am I missing something?

We are talking about France- 22 miles from Dover, and not France, Uzbekistan?

My prep for driving en French:-

Pickup up wallet , passport, car keys, go. Simples.

This place...............

This somehow sounds exactly like I would prepare for actually driving to Uzbekistan.

This and the petrol tank cap excercise.

There will be compulsory fitting of beam benders and mandatory MOT checks for all non UK registered vehicles as they roll off the ferry into our beloved isle. This will ensure no riff raff driving shonky old shit or foreign registered wagons with no brakes and bald tyres are allowed to darken our pristine highways

Can we have you in government?

Nearly all of Europe, and the world, travels faster than we do.

In the lil bubble that is UK, we seem to think slower is better, safer, wiser.

Whilst the rest of the world accelerates away.

It's only when you spend time there/ elsewhere, you realise how rapidly we ( Britain- I now hesitate to use the word 'Great') are moving into the third world.

One thing I have noticed is that the drivers here like to press on a bit. If you happen to find yourself in the outside lane overtaking slower traffic and a car closes up behind he will literally hang off your back bumper until you pull back over.

It's good in that it prevents dawdling. Over here people will sit for ages doing an overtake at 1mph faster, does my head in, especially when I've built up momentum in something lacking power like the Astra dizzler.

I drove London to Zaragoza Spain last month in my 1993 Citroen ax diesel. All the way on non- autoroute roads. It took three days. Mostly ok - some interesting moments - like being followed by a French reg Landrover Defender at 80mph on switchback roads, I didn't know they handled that well - the Barcelona to Zaragoza road was the most dangerous place I have driven because of the tailgating artics in a real hurry. Problems - none at all. The drive over the Pyrenees was fun.

One thing I have noticed is that the drivers here like to press on a bit. If you happen to find yourself in the outside lane overtaking slower traffic and a car closes up behind he will literally hang off your back bumper until you pull back over.

And after a while I realised that, unlike in the UK, it's nothing personal. They're just waiting for you to get out of the way so they can carry on. Take it as a gentle reminder that overtaking with a 1mph speed differential is just not acceptable.

Germany has it sorted - on a two lane autobahn where there is any uphill gradient at all, freight is not allowed to overtake = no elephant racing. THAT's how to make the best use of the lanes you have until there's enough money in the coffers for a widening.

What do we get? Effing smart motorways and a hard shoulder that might be available as a refuge, or it might not, depending upon a system using some traffic sensors and lots of cameras. And if it is, then you'll likely get a ticket for driving in it. Confused? I note that many drivers just stay out of the optional lane, completely defeating its purpose for easing congestion.

Ferry is booked for Friday. Oh how I wish it was not a return ticket.

Last week, on the way to Montpellier, I got held up in Lyon. In hindsight I don't think it was the best route but internet said otherwise. Anyway, after major tailbacks through/around Lyon, the pace picked up and the fast lane was a nose to tail 90mph race track. Not ideal in the dark with nobody giving an inch and impossible to leave yourself a gap. If you did leave a gap, you'd be undertaken and lose it immediately. It was an interesting two or three hours.

Calais to Lyon and less traffic was a joy as the lane discipline is much better than in the UK.

I wouldn't claim to be the most experienced, maybe a dozen trips since the early 90's, and tomorrow will be my first go at driving into Paris where we're stopping for a few days? Any tips for the capital?

Little experience of Paris, but what I have reminds me of London before anpr, speed and red light cameras: assert your position on the road rather than trying to keep up! And whatever anyone else does, don't take it personally.

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

Guest Lord Sward

I've driven through Paris many times in various machines from a brand new Mercedes to a Vivaro.  I find Paris hard but fair and as such I love it.  

Was just travelling along a dual carriageway in an enforcement zone. The car in front was travelling at 80 with a 90 limit so went past him and got flashed. I was being careful but may have slightly edged over 90 to maybe 93 or something. Am I facing a fine when I get home?

93 in a 90 is unlikely to be worth their time. The reciprocal agreement tends to be more for them to hammer the piss takers who sit at 160+ on the autoroute.

I don't know if it's still being done but a few years ago there were UK cozzers in UK pursuit cars on the French side specifically to target Brits speeding to and from the ferries.

Another thought I've had while being over here is that the French mainly buy French cars so there are loads about. Looking out of the hotel window now every car on the street is a French car. I haven't seen any broken down in 1000 miles. Are French cars that unreliable then? Saying that i haven't noticed many Laguna 2's on the road, or verge... I'm quite tempted by an Espace or Grand Espace for family duties.

Guest Lord Sward

I've practiced shouting loudly in broken sentences so those bloody foreigners will understand me.

I've also changed the oil and filters on the Disco.

We're on the ferry heading back. Passport control was interesting. Check by French police then the UK border force. The UK bloke went checked us all against our passport photos, fair enough. He then asked why my stepdaughter had a different surname from her mum, who has my name. We explained and he asked if we had her birth certificate as proof. When we said not he let us stew for a few minutes then told us to bring it next time. I don't mind them doing thorough checks but I never expected that.