MOT Fail - 1.4.A.2f

BorniteIdentity

• Reason(s) for failure

Nearside Rear Direction indicator incorrect colour (1.4.A.2f)
    Offside Rear Direction indicator incorrect colour (1.4.A.2f)

I personally checked them yesterday - and they're very orange.I guess this is the problem with £29.99 MOTs.  They're going to find the £15 elsewhere eh?  

Am I being a monumental dick asking them to change one to show me the difference?  

Perhaps I'm just too bloody cynical.

Is it worth the hassle though? If the test was £30 and the 'special' orange bulbs they want to flog you are another £15 you still have an MOT for £45 - if they wanted to charge you £2000 for welding that didn't need doing or for 4 tyres which were fine but had been deemed to be bald then thats a bit different, if it were me I'd suck it up and put the new 'special' orange bulbs into a box for future use.

I personally checked them yesterday - and they're very orange.

Are you sure?

hqdefault.jpg

Having put a car through a £29.99 MOT recently (with free retest) I can't really grumble.

Test date 27 March 2017

Test result Fail

Mileage 72,331 miles

MOT test number 8900 2157 1836

Reason(s) for failure Nearside Front Windscreen has a sticker or other obstruction encroaching into the swept area by more than 40mm outside zone 'A' (8.3.1e)

Central Front Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases Also leak at joint rear, (7.1.2)

Exhaust emissions Lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits (7.3.D.3)

Advisories Offside Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)

Nearside Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)

Offside Front Front wheel bearing has slight play (2.5.A.3c)

Rear Advise parking brake just made min effort of 16% signs that it needs ie adjustment or attention,

Test date 1 April 2017

Test result Pass

Expiry date 31 March 2018

Mileage 72,458 miles

MOT test number 5172 2268 4823

Advisories Offside Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)

Nearside Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)

Offside Front Front wheel bearing has slight play (2.5.A.3c)

Rear Advise parking brake just made min effort of 16% signs that it needs ie adjustment or attention,

Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases from a joint (7.1.2)

exhaust centre section is touching the axle

Had that sticker been the only issue, I would have sat him down with The Manual and had one of my Brian Clough chats with him. (I've only had to do this once, which was last year, for a NCT (Irish MOT) and the car was re-tested a passed following said chat.)

Are you sure?

hqdefault.jpg

Having put a car through a £29.99 MOT recently (with free retest) I can't really grumble.

Had that sticker been the only issue, I would have sat him down with The Manual and had one of my Brian Clough chats with him. (I've only had to do this once, which was last year, for a NCT and the car was re-tested a passed following said chat.)

Yes.  They're orange. We're talking David Dickinson orange.  Seeing as there's no standard set in the rules stating they must be Des O'Connor orange, I'm a bit miffed!!

I know, life's too short.  I'm not the sort to go picking a fight.  But I can not stand people taking the piss.  IF that is, indeed, what's happening here.

Yes.  They're orange. We're talking David Dickinson orange.  Seeing as there's no standard set in the rules stating they must be Des O'Connor orange, I'm a bit miffed!!

I know, life's too short.  I'm not the sort to go picking a fight.  But I can not stand people taking the piss.  IF that is, indeed, what's happening here.

I demand you print off pictures of both David Dickinson and Des O'Connor and take them in when you collect the car later and ask which orange they are testing to - hopefully this will have the added benefit of distracting them/making them think you are a complete mentalist and then forgetting to charge for the bulbs they may or may not have replaced.

My dads freelander got an advisory 2 years ago for the same thing. He bought a new bulb, then when he went to swap it saw it was the exact same as the one already fitted, so left it in there.

Last year it went to the same tester and passed without the advisory, with the same bulb.

Don't see how it lets them find £15 elsewhere though? Take the car back from them, fit 2 bulbs for a couple of quid, and re-present for the re-test the next day?

I meant... It's bread and butter because little old ladies will always say "oooh young man just do it please if you'd be so kind".

I would have taken it away, but they've done it on my behalf.

Maybe they know who I am? That or I've got a bill for £257.13 awaiting.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm happy to match up the bulbs to the corresponding pantone later tonight.  It's worth saying that the lenses of the light cluster are also orange, so it's never going to be a white light emitted.

I hope they are crap and the MOT test system has worked.  Genuinely.  That's the point of the test.  It's just they were very orange last night when I did the usual pre-test checks.

I have had this on a couple of cars recently and the bulbs with the orange on the when removed have had the orange coating cracked (like paint stripper sprayed on paint) and letting white light through.

10 minutes and £1.50 from Halfords with a trade card and it was sorted.

Both of mine were clear lenses!

By the sounds of it Mr Bourne was reading the fail from the computer post-fail.

I suspect there'll be no fee for the bulbs as it was just to get their failure numbers up to offset against all the dealer chod they wave straight through.

I'd be surprised if they even mention it, not expecting you to have known. Coz after all, if they was orringe they was orringe.

Numbers game, innit.

I demand you print off pictures of both David Dickinson and Des O'Connor and take them in when you collect the car later and ask which orange they are testing to - hopefully this will have the added benefit of distracting them/making them think you are a complete mentalist and then forgetting to charge for the bulbs they may or may not have replaced.

Let's not forget the other barometer of orange, George Hamilton. On a sliding scale it's probably Dickinson most orange (bordering on mahogany), Hamilton, then Des.

Just googled George, and he's still alive at 77 the frickin' legend.

Sorry for the diversion, as you were...

I am deffo thinking this was just a deliberate 'fail' for the garage just to keep their stats, as has already been said, garages with constant passes will put flags up and set warning klaxons going. Perhaps we need to have an autoshite scale of orange thread, with tango'd celebs featuring. Sue Barker must be close to Ford signal orange by now

Can't argue with that result. I got charged £3.90 for a fog light bulb for the Zafira. Was my own stupid fault, and tbh still much cheaper than the £15 retest fee if I had acted on principle and taken it away and got a bulb out of the cupboard at home