Flasher relay making a constant buzzing and no flashing.

Tickman

On my Triumph Toledo I fitted an electronic flasher relay and all has been well until Saturday when it did nothing.

I checked the connections and the best I could get was a constant buzzing when I indicated.

So I bought a replacement and swapped it over only to find exactly the same behaviour.

I haven't touched anything in between times, I tried a separate earth to the relay and the same.

Any pointers as to what has decided to die?

I am going to check the indicator stalk connections next.

A short circuit somewhere in the wiring?

Looking for something like that but found nothing so far.

Tickman in non ticking flasher shocker.

The electronic ones need a certain minimum voltage to work, otherwise they just buzz.

Old cars often do not create this voltage, hence electronic flashers shouldn't be used in them.

Alternator putting out 14.2V same as it has for the last 6 months while working perfectly.

It was fitted due to the reliable old one being fucked and risking everyone with epilepsy having an fit if they caught a glimpse.

14.2V is more than enough.

Fault is elsewhere.

Just for the fun of it, try another relay. They can fail.

I bought one this morning and it did exactly the same as the currently fitted one. 

I know a new one could fail but the odds of exactly the same fault seem unlikely but not an impossibility.

I will have a plod through what I might have disturbed at MOT fixing time but nothing electrical was done, the welding carried out was nowhere near any wires and the steering stuff was again nowhere near electrics. All this added to the fact they were working at the end of last week leaves me stumped!