Ex Krujoe Pug 106 exhaust welding.

spartacus

Done for the day. It's had a new back box and, despite it not failing on the condition of the discs, (very bad), I've replaced them and the pads, as I'm sure the disc wear and corrosion was the cause of the brake issues.

I've also lubed up the drivers window mech, re-fitted the drivers door trim and associated bits and re-fitted the pipe from the air box to the grill.

We'll see how it fares on the re-test next week! Wish me luck.

The aforementioned rot, cut out, a little more cleaning up and it'll be ready to weld.

hhh1ar0.jpg

CAD in practice.

v4r9FMu.jpg

Nearly there.

t9hiwuW.jpg

Ah, you're done. I'm too late then to add a caveat about the "notch" - that's actually a fairly vital bit of it as that forms a hinge mechanism when there's not enough strength in it. See my thread on it here: http://autoshite.com/topic/20121-peugeot-106-floorpan-fuckstix-fixed/

and have a few photos from it:

post-3066-0-20322200-1428761024.jpgpost-3066-0-84111900-1428761038.jpg

post-3066-0-90688700-1428787618.jpg

post-3066-0-74466400-1428787564.jpg

post-3066-0-03981000-1428787896.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies to Vulg if this isn't up to his standard, I can't get the phrase out of my head though when thinking of cleaning a car well, particularly if it hasn't been cleaned for a while.

Today seemed as good a day as any do I decided to give the ex Krujoe 106 a good clean. As you can see from the pictures it's suffering from a fair amount of lacquer peel on its once fine light metallic blue.

It was also filthy.

I reasoned that if I gave it a good clean then polished it all at least the good panels would shine and rain would bead up on the whole car, so off I went.

I'm only just shy of being a TBW, but had to reign myself in due to time constraints.

I sprayed the whole thing with Fenwick's, a caravan cleaner that's good at shifting long standing mould spots, moss, etc. Then I sponged, rinsed and leathered it off. I cleaned the glass using Rain X and put some life back into the black trim and bumpers with boiled linseed oil. Then I polished it with Autosmart Mirror Finish.

It would be nice if all the panels came up as well as the side you can see, but they don't I'm afraid. I do think though it wears it's paint issues well and would probably get away with being described as 'patina', were I to sell it from a gravel drive in front of a borrowed stately home or a white room.

Before:

NGIybfM.jpg

After:

adU0Upr.jpg

UWz9Fxh.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago I noticed the handbrake on the Peugeot wasn't holding on the nearside, in addition the pedal travel had increased very slightly. It felt very much like a non functioning automatic adjusters on the rear, so I put it to the back of my mind and promised myself I would fix it soon*.

Driving back from Manchester earlier in the week there was a definite noise from the N/S, and when I tried to reverse into my parking space at home the wheel locked up when reversing!

I pulled it apart this morning...

BVNaEeP.jpg

As you may be able to see the friction material had parted company with one of the shoes and was floating around inside the drum causing the noise and locking up problem.

ejZm5VB.jpg

So £15 later I'd replaced both sides.

The drivers side drum was a bit of a slag to get off but other than that the job went smoothly and wasn't a bad way to spend an hour.

I remember on an old 306 I used to have, I had to take the rear drums off every few months and turn the self adjuster with some needle-nose pliers due to the self adjusters, well, no longer self adjusting.

I'd start to notice increased brake pedal travel too, then drive around it, then eventually sort it and nearly headbutt the windscreen immediately afterwards.

• 2 months later...

Well, here we are again. I'm loving driving this car around when I get the chance, my girls like it and so does Mrs Spart. The only bug bear has been the blowing exhaust. It was on its way out when I collected it, I slurmed some exhaust paste on it but as you can see from the pics there was no way it was going to be a long term fix.

The hole is in a tight bend at the lower end of the down pipe. I'd been dreading taking it off but decided to grow a pair this afternoon and tackle it...

Every bolt came undone first go! Yayyy!

Here is the holey part in all its glory...

3o2F1pf.jpg

And this is the replacement...

3XFt2Fo.jpg

I forgot to take a pic of the finished article but I'm sure you get the idea, suffice to say, it's a massive improvement and makes driving the little 106 even more enjoyable.

However, having sorted that, as the last real 'fault' on the car I need to move it on. I've got an ex wife baying at me, three other cars, a large camper and two vans, plus the usual shit life throws at you.

All the info you might need is in the thread but for those that can't be bothered, here's the shortened form.

MOT June '18.

New discs and pads. New rear shoes. New rear box. Welding done to n/s rear inner arch. Exhaust downpipe welded.

It passed the MOT reasonably well and in my opinion it'll go through another without much bother. The ends of the sills will want some attention soon but the rest of the underside is pretty good.

It's mercifully free of gizmos, so there's not much to go wrong, the CD player works and the radio picks up stations.

The drivers seat is from a four door Saxo and as a result doesn't tilt to allow access to the rear seats.

The real draw of this car is the economy, I monitor my mpg like a sad bastard and it does a genuine 70mpg!

I want £200 for it. £50 of this will be going to Krujoe, he gave me the car in good faith and I'm sure he'd appreciate a small return.

I'm only advertising it on here, I'd like it go to a shitter, it's more likely to be looked after and used than raped for parts come MOT time.

If there's enough interest then I'll roffle, £3.50 a ticket.

Please don't all rush at once and break the internet, we don't all want to be without Autoshite on a Sunday evening!

Bargainous! I'd have had this back in a flash at the full asking, if its replacement wasn't being so flipping well behaved.

Bloody reliable old Renaults!

£50 of this will be going to Krujoe

Ooh thank you Spart! Most unexpected - all I wanted was that it was saved, and you've done that and loads more. For which I thank you.

But if you do get your asking price, (well worth it,) then the kind fifty coming my way will be split between my next forum donation, and the current DEC appeal for Burmese refugees, a matter close to my heart.

I'm curious to see who this is going to...

• 1 month later...

So, cutting a convoluted story short, I'm now the proud owner of the ex Krujoe 106d again. Because my "nothing in life is as reliable as a Volkswagen" has fucking broken down I needed another car so I can pick up my girls from school and run them around etc.

They were both pretty pleased the Peugeot was back, I think I've managed to pass on the gene that makes you like a slow, noisy car that doesn't have aircon, or even electric windows.

Doubleyeller kindly dropped it off for me a couple of weeks ago. In the 3.5k miles it's done in the six weeks he's owned it a few issues have come to light.

The N/S driveshaft was clicking occasionally when I sold it, it's now clunking ominously on every right hander, I've bought a new one but I'll wait for the snow to go before I fit it! Doubleyeller had to put the spare on, it's not in very good condition though, so I'll be swapping that tomorrow along with the other front tyre for a pair of part worn winter tyres. I messaged Krujoe to tell him I had the car again and he reminded me their might not be any anti freeze in it. I picked some up at a local factors and changed that this morning, I did hope that by some miracle it might cure the hopeless heater but no, it's still shit. I suspect the matrix is blocked, replacing it is a dash out job, so I may have a look for one of those 'giffer trinket' in car fan heaters.

mdYGEnp.jpg

Check out the ideal car fixing weather...

The original steering wheel had started to break up at the top of the rim, ooer, so Krujoe had replaced it with a Saxo item, this was a deactivated airbag wheel, so looked a bit shit, although it clearly did exactly the same job! Krujoe gave me the original wheel and I decided to have a go at making it useable again. I used Tiger Seal to build up the broken areas then wrapped it in a sticky good quality cloth tape. It remains to be seen how long it lasts but it definitely looks better to me and must be worth 10-15bhp. I could even put a little yellow stripe in the centre at the top for added OMGDRIFTYO points and even greater power increases. The wet looking patches in the picture are just melted snow!

6l2Ec90.jpg

ns5dgYW.jpg

Tyres, going on tomorrow.

9ETsl99.jpg

So big I couldn't fit it in the frame!

While I was under the bonnet and freezing my nuts off I decided to meddle with a couple of other things, as you do. I took of the air filter cover and have the filter a bit of a clean out, then hoovered the leaves out of the base of the box. I'll obviously be quizzed about the leaves etc when one of my folks comes to empty the little hand held Hoover thing, I'll tough it out though!

I adjusted the throttle cable too and lubed a few things up, worth doing just so I could use the word 'lubed'.

As you can see in the pictures above the car also has a Saxo drivers seat, Krujoe offered me the worn original when I collected the car back in May, I foolishly declined. He still has it though so I'm going to pick it up at some point, repair it in some way and refit it.

Any suggestions, comments, abuse etc gratefully received.

That's it for now.