Peugeot 306. Open surgery

D Spares & Tyres

Easier to get a new car than fix that, it would have eaten every penny of that £500 to get it back to how you had it, no way that beam hadn't take a knock to the bearings given the damage both sides.

Tom's very fond of this particular car.

post-19618-0-47304700-1507797452_thumb.png

I am fond of this car and I'm intrigued to see just how many miles the engine will do. When the engine fails then the car will have reached the end of its useful life and I will park it up.

Even if it had damaged the rear axle it wouldn't matter, they are practically service items anyway. I think its on its third one now. Two hours work.

Even if I wasn't fond of the car i would have fixed it for the sake of a £20 bumper.

• 3 weeks later...

Bugger.

I hadn't realised that.

Thanks for the advice, I had better weigh it in straight away then.

I thought that the rear quarter had taken the brunt of the force but what do I know.. .

You can dent that rear quarter on a 306 with a good shove, it'll have taken fuck all force, evidenced by it shoving the car into the wall on the other side.

Beams are only service items if you keep bolting second hand shite on, actually strip and fix one properly and it'll do 10+ years.

Given the rest of the work you'd put into it earlier with the bodywork I'd assumed you were wanting it straight, if you're happy with a few ripples in the quarters then hey, 500 quid in your pocket. I'd still suggest pulling the torsion arm out and checking the arms for brinelling marks though.

post-4819-0-96822000-1509723320_thumb.jpg

They're tougher than you think. This is my wife's, shown in death row in the salvage yard it was flatbedded to after a Corsa got amorous and mounted its rear end. It was a write off, but the Corsa likely was too, which was pleasing.

This happened two years ago. We bought it back for scrap value, I pulled the dent out, pushed the panel straight with a hydraulic ram, realigned the tailgate and got it back on the road. The damage is still in grey stopping filler, though - like a badge of honour. It's passed two MOTs since.

It's a 1.4 XN with 150K+ miles on it. Less mechanically complex than cutlery, and we're pretty keen on running it forever.

Good on yer, Tom.

IMAG3620.jpg

They're tougher than you think. This is my wife's, shown in death row in the salvage yard it was flatbedded to after a Corsa got amorous and mounted its rear end. It was a write off, but the Corsa likely was too, which was pleasing.

This happened two years ago. We bought it back for scrap value, I pulled the dent out, pushed the panel straight with a hydraulic ram, realigned the tailgate and got it back on the road. The damage is still in grey stopping filler, though - like a badge of honour. It's passed two MOTs since.

It's a 1.4 XL with 150K+ miles on it. Less mechanically complex than cutlery, and we're pretty keen on running it forever.

Good on yer, Tom.

Best colour available.

You can dent that rear quarter on a 306 with a good shove, it'll have taken fuck all force, evidenced by it shoving the car into the wall on the other side.

When I say rear quarter, I didn't mean the rear wing which is commonly known as being the rear quarter PANEL. I meant, in geographic terms, the actual rear quarter area of the car. The area behind the bumper and light is relatively strong.

The rear of a 306 is quite light, I can grab one by its wheel arch and shove the back end a small distance. The Range Rover didn't hit it hard, it just glanced off it.

Beams are only service items if you keep bolting second hand shite on, actually strip and fix one properly and it'll do 10+ years.

Given the rest of the work you'd put into it earlier with the bodywork I'd assumed you were wanting it straight, if you're happy with a few ripples in the quarters then hey, 500 quid in your pocket. I'd still suggest pulling the torsion arm out and checking the arms for brinelling marks though.

I would like it straighter at some point, but its not a priority. I'm not after a minter. At some point I want to tidy it up though. All the panels have dents so I am looking for some panels in the same colour if anybody sees any in a yard!

The last rear axle I put on it was off a 95,000 mile ZX. It was 6 or 7 years ago I reckon. It cost me £40. It still seems fine but I have another good one stashed away for when this one goes. I'm not spending £250 or so to have it rebuilt if I don't have to!

Its currently on its third axle,halfway through its third decade so financially I'm still winning!

Great effort on keeping the 306 going so far and long may it continue!

There a scrap yard in Derby that has this one listed at the minute if it's of any use? 

PEUGEOT 306 MARDI GRAS BLUE 1994 08/10/2017 1360CC HATCHBACK 5 DOOR

Contact us

By Phone: 01332 673663
By Fax:     01332 660430
By e-mail: info@albertlooms.com
By Post: Albert Looms Ltd., Megaloughton Lane, Spondon, Derby DE21 7ND
And now: Facebook 

Monday – Friday: 08:00-16:00

Saturday: 9:00 – 16:00

Sunday: 09:00-13:00

Bank holidays: Closed (unless otherwise stated)

Nah, you can get them out, the problem is people leave them on the car so long when they're fucked that they eat into the trailing arms, or the same if they take a knock from the side or a slide into a kerb. The bearings imprint into the axle then and new bearings just chewed up.
 If your arms are good bar a little bit of imprinting though you can just run them upside down on the other side of the car so the bearings are loaded on the other side, if you don't want to pay out for new arms.

I've a few base spec beams upstairs I keep handy that have decent arms though so I just swap shagged ones out.

It's more often the case that the bearings failed, long, long into the past and what was left has chewed up the beam tube as well as the trailing arms and a new tube and arms, as well as bearings and seals is needed, rendering most of them scrap.

There are plenty still about that are serviceable, but a whole load more that are utterly shagged.

There are exchange services available, in England, that will take your old one and build you a new one. Generally not too expensive either.

I believe the 306 to be the last car mass produced that I would have bought new, if they still made them, I'd have one tomorrow.

• 2 months later...

Well the 306 died yesterday.

I came round a bend on a country lane and sploshed into a large puddle. It was dark and hard to see how deep it was but by the time I had time to think about it I was several feet into it so I made the snap decision to carry on slowly. It was the wrong decision, it got a lot deeper very quickly and the engine stalled.

AA took me home ( that in itself is a story but for another day ) Car now parked up. It won't be scrapped nor fixed, it will just be parked up in the corner of the yard for now.

Game over. 281,000 miles

R.I.P

Cause of death? Clot behind the wheel

These were very susceptible to water ingress killing them off due to to the stupidly low intake at the front. Sacking that off and lobbing a cone filter on is the answer.