Peugeot 306. Open surgery

D Spares & Tyres

This has made me disproportionately sad. Not feeling overly sentimental and sticking a new motor in?

The thought had crossed my mind and I do have a spare engine... But lets be realistic. Its worn out. There is a knackered driveshaft and exhaust pipe. Front seats are saggy. Leading edge of roof rotten and has fibreglass in it ( I poked some scabs recently ) the heater flaps have broken so your feet get cold, and then the matrix started leaking so I k sealed it. Now minimal heat comes out. Every panel is mangled. Rear brakes will need sorting soon

Various other niggles too. The main thing with this car is the original non messed with engine. It had the quickest most free revving non turbo xud I have ever driven.

I would be nice to fix this engine but it now will only turn 180 degrees at as time. Skipped a tooth on the timing belt and bent a valve? Probably a bent con rod too. Im not a mechanic, I don't enjoy working on engines.

However...

The story is not quite over. I do have quite a bit more space than most people so it will be parked up indefinately and at some point in the future it may get fixed when it is rarer. No rash decisions will be made

Sad times. You had me hooked from the rear turret repairs onwards, when the naysayers kept on suggesting you’d be best off scrapping it. You have squeezed every last bit of life out of the old girl, and under your ownership, she’s lasted infinitely longer than she would’ve with an average owner.

For that you should be proud. I’m pleased that the car is being parked up indefinitely too - gentle final slumber is much more graceful and dignified than a hi-ab and crusher.

I’d better stop there or Borniteidentity will be marching over to your place with an XUD and fitting it himself, just so the car can live again.

RIP old 306.

Today I decided to have a look at it. Removed the glow plugs and air intake. Poured old engine oil down into the cylinders to stop it rusting inside. Number 4 cylinder seems to be the issue. The oil isn't getting to the cylinder via the inlet manifold so I squirted it through the glow plug hole. It did turn over for a bit either way but something is stopping it do a full revolution. It turns over even less since number 4 got filled with oil.post-19511-0-76396100-1516714062_thumb.jpgpost-19511-0-48325600-1516714081_thumb.jpg

Its surprising just how far the oil shoots out when the engine is turned, good job nobody was walking by as its a council car park! (Didn't want the shame of the AA bringing it home at 1.00 am with flashing orange beacons!)post-19511-0-81239300-1516714205_thumb.jpg

I can lay it up now and hopefully it won't seize up. Its the least I can do for it.

Ouch.

Still, that's not as big a deal to replace as it looks really?

Any shiters who like spannering want a go at it? I hate messing inside engines and I'm sure to fuck it up but I enjoy bodywork so would be happy to do a trade...

I do have a spare engine I could strip down for spares

Remove the rod and piston from cylinder 4, isolate the injector and bingo, a slightly rough but very trendy three cylinder diesel! WCPGW??

I can't see this car being dead yet. I reckon you will find a spare Conrod from somewhere and decide to "see what happens". Whereupon the engine will probably fire up instantly and run like a champ.

If the spare is functional a full swap has got to be far easier than faffing about pulling heads and sumps off and wrangling oily things.

Agree 100%, however it only needs a bypass not a transplant. I'd love to see this live on another day with 90% original engine. 

​I wonder if car SOS* others available, would like to like to do a full renovation on an old 306? nah -  probably not. 

Give it a few weeks, then see if you can find a used XUD to stick in it. I'll admit I did suggest scrapping it when the big feck off holes appeared on the seatbelt mount, but you were in it for the long run so credit to you for persevering with it. Could be a bit of a project over the summer to get it back on the road and hopefully see out 300k before 2019.

Replacement sought.

Left home at 5.45 am

Drove to Wisbech, picked this up. The ex Bramz ( as are most autoshite cars these days ) and now ex Beige 1100 Citroen ZX is just what I was after.post-19511-0-60088600-1517341719_thumb.jpg

It really is a straight, tight feeling car that can be pressed into immediate service. It has clearly been well looked after.

110,000 on the clock, should be good for at least another 170,000 so long as some plonker doesn't drive it into a flood. First job? Fit aftermarket air filter!

Mrsdespairs has inspected and approves so that's the biggest part of the battle done.

Opened doors of 306 today. Floorpans still have water in them and it stinks inside now. Poor thing

• 10 months later...

Old 306 was barely visible this summerpost-19511-0-04306200-1545936571_thumb.jpgpost-19511-0-64340900-1545938682_thumb.jpg

When I had a look at it before I laid it up I noticed the camshaft and it's caps were fine so I tried to time it up as it had slipped several teeth on the cambelt. I could not get the crank to turn round enough no matter what position the camshaft was so I gave up and left it.

Today the in laws turned up but unfortunately I had to go to work. I did not discuss the specifics of this work but I can tell you all that I went to the yard, locked the gate and took the cylinder head off this.

It came apart easily enough with only one small casualty, this stud snapped. post-19511-0-49692500-1545939566_thumb.jpg

The old gasket didn't look good. It has been leaking oil for a while so it needed doing anyway!

post-19511-0-74270800-1545939712_thumb.jpgpost-19511-0-18862000-1545939759_thumb.jpg

Well, the head is fine. The camshaft turns round fine and all valves open and shut fine. The crank however, still won't turn round fully. Off with the sump next then... Although I haven't drained it yet, I wonder what the chances are that it is full of water and locking it that way? Is that possible? I'm NOT a spannerer though, in a bodywork person, messing inside engines is not something im used to!

I'll have another look at it tomorrow, im interested now

I wouldn't be expecting water underneath the pistons to be causing trouble.  On the other hand the pistons look like they are in the right place which would be unlikely if you have bent a rod.  I suppose that a piston meeting vast resistance from water could have done something awful to the crank but you would expect a rod to die first.

Best of luck with it, I'd offer to help but I'm off north in the morning.