Peugeot 306. Open surgery

D Spares & Tyres

Guest Hooli

MOTs are pointless wastes of time, assuming you have a 2-post lift in your back garden, a set of brake-test rollers in your garage, an exhaust analyser in your shed, sufficient knowledge of safety maintenance, and a totally objective & unbiased attitude towards your pride and joy. Also, everyone who's weighed in with their opinions on this thread, could've been using those same keystrokes and mouse-clicks to negotiate a purchase of a rotten Renault 4 from Leboncoin. THRED PHAILZ.

I don't think I'm too bad at all that...

Once in the last ten years or so have I had a car or bike fail on something I had no idea about. Every other time it was a 'maybe this is ok enough to pass?' thing.

Once in the last ten years or so have I had a car or bike fail on something I had no idea about. Every other time it was a 'maybe this is ok enough to pass?' thing.

Those rear bushes were really really fucked though ;-)

Guest Hooli

Those rear bushes were really really fucked though ;-)

Those rear bushes were six months old! they'd been replaced for the MOT when I got it.

There's always one.....  ;-)

Nearly finished.

You can't see the brace I have put behind the mount.

Not the prettiest welding but its strongpost-19511-0-31880900-1497992546_thumb.jpg

This bit needs a bit more work... Its never been quite straight from a minor bump years ago and some heat distortion hasn't helped.post-19511-0-69059100-1497992650_thumb.jpg

It hasn't got to be perfect though, there isn't a straight panel on the car!

306 must be bridged and replaced with 203 because older, thus better and MoT exempt, thus safe.

Discuss.

I disagree. The logical thing to have done would be weigh this in and buy a 307. The 306 has been such a great car, its replacement must be even better surely? I mean, its newer so it must be better, right?

Another proper Pewjoe saved.

Weld-un that man. As an aside, I loved my old ph1 306 D Turbot. Seating position and handling were spot on, and it was a generally well put together car. Galvanised body too, iirc? Apart from the rear strut area obviously, which is evidently made from the cheapest Camembert.

I'll just chuck in my 2 pennorth here

I sent my W8 for a full service and WOF (NZ mot)at a reputable independent as didn't have time to do it (away all week and catching up a weekends) 2 days after had a front pass side blowout.

Got it picked up by a local garage, who sorted it however discs were well over the max wear limit and pads near gone causing the brake hose to be bar tight and disconnecting which shredded the inside tyre wall.

My "service bill was well over $600 (2 days before), my repair bill was over $2500, most of which was avoidable as wheel/tyre needed replacing (and so also did drivers side which was close to same condition)

Not a happy bunny

MOTs are pointless wastes of time

Up to here I couldn't agree more.

Also, everyone who's weighed in with their opinions on this thread, could've been using those same keystrokes and mouse-clicks to negotiate a purchase of a rotten Renault 4 from Leboncoin. THRED PHAILZ.

Here I strongly disagree, because:

http://autoshite.com/topic/27022-this-is-the-ggg-speaking-france-an-epik-phail-caution-alternatives-considered/

Anyone ever done an advanced driving course? I did a few years ago and found it useful. I don't drive like a saint but helped me with awareness. That's got to be worth a few ncap points.

Yeah I did one because I knocked a man off his pushbike.  It showed me that I often drove like a twat.  I now drive like less of a twat (I hope).  It was interesting, informative and full of people I suspect had never believed anything in their lives was their own fault.

If you have 2 then pick the one you like most!

Use it as a way to encourage good behaviour from your children.  The biggest shit that day has to sit in that corner.  At speed.  Whilst the driver is texting.  From the boot.  Blindfolded.

On the subject of vehicle safety i was just picking the kids up tonight and there was an almighty noise behind me on the road. A Suzuki was driving down one of the main roads in Leicester and the woman driving hadn't realised the line of traffic had stopped in front of her. I'm not even sure she braked. Instead she pulled across into the other lane and hit a corsa head on. There was that silence you get after something's just happened and people are trying to comprehend it. I had to walk the woman away from the car. Luckily both drivers and a passenger were ok escaping with some chest pain and a few cuts. Both cars were well stoved in. All airbags had gone off which I think saved them further injury. I had to go back to the car for her to get her handbag and there was smoke inside the car which I then realised was from the airbags. It did make me think how my mr2 would have fared. Won't stop me driving it though.

It did make me think how my mr2 would have fared. Won't stop me driving it though.

Considering that 1) you'd probably have noticed the traffic in front of you stopping, and 2) you're probably capable of using the brake pedal and steering wheel at the same time, it likely wouldn't have had a scratch on it.

EDIT: I've just realised you were probably thinking of the Corsa's position as well.... in which case meh, if the Suzuki driver had been in an HGV then it wouldn't matter how 'safe' the car was.