Peugeot 306. Open surgery

D Spares & Tyres

I only got as far as the end of page one before I felt compelled to reply.

OP is stating:

1.The rear turret is a known rust trap, i.e. the turret area could look buggered, but the rest of the car could be structurally fine;

2. The car has just gone through the MOT and is sound otherwise;

3. He likes the car;

4. He doesn't wish to adopt a 21stC 'if in doubt, throw it away' mentality;

5. He has the inclination and skills to do the fabrication and welding;

6. It will only cost him around 50 groats to get the old girl solid again.

To all those opposed to his proposed saving of his vee-hicle, have a word with yourselves. Seriously.

Id have no qualms about welding that up, as long as the rest of the car isnt corroded like that. I would probably get a new panel or cut a good one out of a scrapper, and then fit the missing arch liner so it doesnt happen again.

Im genuinely shocked that the lack of arch liner could cause that, especially so far up, and without rot lower doing not being this bad and really obvious.

It does show the MOT is a load of bollocks, just means a car meets the ticklist of items that VOSA or DVSA or whatever theyre called now have decided means a car is safe. OK its not the testers fault they dont check for these things but it just proves what a lot of crap it is, ive driven proper shitboxes that drive like crap with a clean no advisory MOT and always thought it was bollocks, even more so now ive seen this, it really needs to be changed in some way to check safety related items that arent visible or form part of the current checks. 

The MOT is clearly not a load of old bollocks, it's a good test to make sure that the most common safety issues are addressed.   It's not designed to be a forensic examination of a vehicle that guarantees it is 'safe' in all possible scenarios for the following 12 months.   How would a test that 'checks safety related items that aren't visible' actually work?  

The UK MOT system is much better than anywhere else in the world with the possible exception of Japan and a few European countries which heavily restrict modifications and older vehicles.   Reading about some of the hoops people in Europe have to jump through to keep old cars on the road or make any changes it seems to me that Autoshiters should be very thankful for the MOT that lets you run any old chod as long as it isn't actually falling apart and can stop in a reasonable distance.  

The car will probably crumple up when a 4x4 gets driven into you by a woman on the phone anyway, no point worrying about safety, id leave it as it is.

Those 4x4s do surprisingly little damage when hitting ordinary cars.

At least the modern ones are designed with a healty dose of partner protection

and even the old ones rather drive up and over cars instead of concertinaing them.

Wasn't there a 10 year old x type that was complety fucked and welded back up, to a very impressive standard if i remember, whats the difference here? a perceived safety issue.

Was that me? I forgot to update that thread.

If it's any consolation I've done the same spot on some 306's too!

post-19837-0-82144400-1497888663_thumb.jpg

Outlasted the rest of the car! Took about 2 hours, although not quite as bad as the ops.

Addition to Supernauts 306-trivia - some REALLY early 306's actually had a liner there, but only on low spec/TU models. Then they stopped for a few years, and the refitted them in ph2's. Bloody French.

But yes, they can rot there even if the rest of the car is 100% perfect.

You can't live like that, not carrying passengers in the back cause the seatbelt isn't mounted to anything. Even a child in it that say weighs 20kg, plus the seat, if you hit something at 30mph it would pull that clean out of the bodywork.

I don't get this, he hasn't for a minute (that I can see) said he will drive it like it is. He wants to weld it back up and do it properly. Don't forget, every time you buy an old second hand car you've no real idea of every aspect of it, so could unwittingly be driving round in something that's properly knackered somewhere.

Tom found a problem, he's going to fix it and keep an old reliable car on the road a bit longer. Isn't that what AS is about?

I don't get this, he hasn't for a minute (that I can see) said he will drive it like it is. He wants to weld it back up and do it properly. Don't forget, every time you buy an old second hand car you've no real idea of every aspect of it, so could unwittingly be driving round in something that's properly knackered somewhere.

Tom found a problem, he's going to fix it and keep an old reliable car on the road a bit longer. Isn't that what AS is about?

I quote that about where someone said 'just don't use that seat'

Oh aye, go and buy another car. 

Except remember to turn up to the vendors house before bidding so you can take every plastic bit of trim off and inspect every square inch of metal in case it's as bad, or worse. WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN? Oh, you all are. Too much thinking.

Alternatively great news you've found it and it's a fairly cheap fix for someone who can weldorise metal. 

There must be absolutely loads of 306s knocking round with substandard rear seat belt mountings, yours is now one of the safest as it has been checked and repaired properly. The worrying thing is this information about them isn't well known. I certainly had no knowledge of it and all the people who still use them as family cars or just as a runaround for the school run are blissfully unaware. This is the sort of information that should be widely known so people are aware of the problem and make a decision on checking and welding or scrapping.

Fuck it... better phone the garage and get them to scrap the A35 now then, not weld in new floors, sills and various other rusty bits, Anyway being a 1959 car it has no seat belts and probably has an NCAP rating of  -1650 so I am bound to die the first time I take it out... On the plus side it doesn't need an MOT and anyway it doesn't have any plastic anywhere well unless you count bakelite as plastic, so rusty bits will not be missed.  

Carry on Tom... we are all rooting for your baby...

ps... Why oh why does the Autoshite spellchecker not recognise the word Bakelite!!    this place...