Peugeot 306. Open surgery

D Spares & Tyres

I'd happily weld it up (properly) and get another 50k out of it. Newsflash: most cars are made out of welded steel and a proper repair would be stronger than the original.

Damn right the MOT isn't perfect but it's only an indication and it's still the owners responsibility to ensure the car is safe for EVERY use. Doesn't mean it's practical.

This coming from the guy than ran out of time (and bolts) to attach the Tranny's passenger seat for MOT so wazzed it in with M6 bolts. Completely worthless in a crash but perfectly legal. (since replaced).

I say if the welding is done properly, No worries. 

You need to look into future-proofing the area to prevent rust, Retrofit wheel well liner of a later car and cavity wax the shit out of it?

No, I don't want any traps. It will be painted with Jotun silver paint, then sprayed with a mixture of Waxoyl, diesel and old engine oil. It will be jetwashed underneath and oiled again yearly.

It has been a faithful family friend. It cosy £1000 15 years ago and has never given any bother. Seems daft to throw it away,although 'half a day' was probably an underestimate..

Been so hot today, I keep coming in for drinks and to mess about on the web....

Oh i agree on that, She is in our Focus, It's just the Dolomite i struggle with as i haven't got the length on the belt to get it rear facing very easily. 

Pro tip, don't strap you kids in to a Dolomite.

No side crash protection at all, the arse end has no structural substance to it due being a lengthened Toledo (fuel tank is your crumple zone), and they rot in weird places from the inside out (by the time rust gets to the outer sill the inners are usually already gone). If a welded up 90s Pug worries you on the basis of child safety I'm surprised you'd put in them in even the mintiest of 70s motors! In my hands that 306 wouldn't be going anywhere until it was welded up, but once fixed it's probably not going to be much less safer than any other 20 year old car compared to a new one...

Most early 2000s cars are probably going the same way underneath nice plastic sill covers and trims, etc. Quite worrying as there is no access for an MOT tester to get a good look without removing parts which they aren't allowed to do. Hell, in all the years I've owned it my Dolly 1300's driver's seatbelt has never locked and I think I'm the only person who has ever noticed...

You should see what kinds of cars my parents drove their kids around in - and I suspect the same applies to many others !

You can't compare that. They had no alternative. Had there been, they might have opted for something safer.

The knowledge certainly was there, my dad always ordered the optional front seat belts once they became available.

He knew that even the strongest man can't brace himself with his arms in a crash exceeding 5mph.

The fatality rate per driven mile was way higher than it was even 20 - 30 years ago, let alone today.

Safety technology has come a long way since it started in the 1950, but to generally declare an old car being a

death trap is blowing things way out of proportion.

Also, there is nothing wrong with welding up the rust damage in that 306 if it's done by someone who can actually weld.

You'd be surprised how little steel you need to make something that way outlasts a human body, which itself is

surprisingly tough up to a certain age. That's why the children often survive crashes their parents perish in.

MrsYoof used to be taken hundreds of miles away with her family on holiday in a Fiat Uno and later a Suzuki Swift - five-up including a week's worth of luggage.

I AM HAND-WRINGING RETROSPECTIVELY

Ninja edit - this wasn't altogether sarcastic; I genuinely cringed when MrsYoof described her early family holidays in her dad's older vehicles. I'd scrap the 306 personally (as it also made me hand-wring) but am open-minded to the idea of someone having the skills to fix it.

"Look what I was driven around in as a child and I'm OK" is survivorship bias and it's a concept so old that Diogenes has a quote about it:

Diogenes was asked concerning paintings of those who had escaped shipwreck: "Look, you who think the gods have no care of human things, what do you say to so many persons preserved from death by their especial favour?", to which Diogenes replied: "Why, I say that their pictures are not here who were cast away, who are by much the greater number."

"Look what I was driven around in as a child and I'm OK" is survivorship bias and it's a concept so old that Diogenes has a quote about it:

Yes... Am reminded of my grandad slightly.

Lovely bloke that brought me up. Many happy memories.

He also used to say stuff like.

"Bacon dripping? Eaten it for years and it's not done me any harm"

First heart attack aged 59.

Gave up the dripping on toast/lard/ etc and carried on to his late eighties.

Not sure that has anything to do with anything mind.

Life is life endangering throughout and guaranteed lethal.

Hence survivorship bias is a fundamental part of life by its very nature.

I'm put in mind of the Hindu mentality of praying at a roadside shrine before a long journey and then driving like a lunatic because their fate is in the hands of the gods now.

I'd scrap it, but it's by no means dangerous to do a proper repair in that area. I honestly can't see what the fuss is about.

Old bangers are so cheap nowadays, is it worth your time and effort to get it ship shape again?

Since when am I responsible for my actions?

If not your actions then you may take responsibility for1983 and me being arrested and fined in Bregenz for borrowing the "H"  toilet door from a bar during an evening then losing said door in the hauptbahnhof  carpark. 

I'd scrap it, but it's by no means dangerous to do a proper repair in that area. I honestly can't see what the fuss is about.

Old bangers are so cheap nowadays, is it worth your time and effort to get it ship shape again?

Well this old banger is a known quantity. I'm guessing he's examined it thoroughly, knows all of its quirks and has probably done a decent amount of work to keep it running. A new old banger is going to have a whole number of problems that will almost certainly take longer (and cost more) to sort than a couple of days spent welding that panel.

Well this old banger is a known quantity. I'm guessing he's examined it thoroughly, knows all of its quirks and has probably done a decent amount of work to keep it running. A new old banger is going to have a whole number of problems that will almost certainly take longer (and cost more) to sort than a couple of days spent welding that panel.

Indeed. Also the replacement old banger may be just as bad (or worse) safety wise.

The OP seems to know what he is doing.

Id have no qualms about welding that up, as long as the rest of the car isnt corroded like that. I would probably get a new panel or cut a good one out of a scrapper, and then fit the missing arch liner so it doesnt happen again.

Im genuinely shocked that the lack of arch liner could cause that, especially so far up, and without rot lower doing not being this bad and really obvious.

It does show the MOT is a load of bollocks, just means a car meets the ticklist of items that VOSA or DVSA or whatever theyre called now have decided means a car is safe. OK its not the testers fault they dont check for these things but it just proves what a lot of crap it is, ive driven proper shitboxes that drive like crap with a clean no advisory MOT and always thought it was bollocks, even more so now ive seen this, it really needs to be changed in some way to check safety related items that arent visible or form part of the current checks. 

If not your actions then you may take responsibility for1983 and me being arrested and fined in Bregenz for borrowing the "H"  toilet door from a bar during an evening then losing said door in the hauptbahnhof  carpark. 

Some say that door still quietly roams the City with a gentle murmuring, late at night when the Moon is fat.

It does show the MOT is a load of bollocks, just means a car meets the ticklist of items that VOSA or DVSA or whatever theyre called now have decided means a car is safe. OK its not the testers fault they dont check for these things but it just proves what a lot of crap it is, ive driven proper shitboxes that drive like crap with a clean no advisory MOT and always thought it was bollocks, even more so now ive seen this, it really needs to be changed in some way to check safety related items that arent visible or form part of the current checks.

MOT is a cursory glance at basic items and very much serves it's purpose.

After all, no one can blame ignorance for driving around on bald tyres with no brakes the rest of the year.

I'm firmly with the testers and VOSA, it is entirely impossible to check for issues like this on every type of vehicle. And the rest of the year it's the drivers responsibility.

Seeing cars in car parks with threadbare tyres or broken headlights, or cars crabbing down the road because the front suspension/steering is FUBAR boils my piss. But hey, it's got MOT!

They could spend a whole day taking the car to pieces instead. At £400, every quarter I suppose... And not be liable for anything that breaks... But then we'll all have to scrap all our cars.

Not a dig BTW! :)