The coolest car adverts - film or video - of all time

M'coli

When Volkswagen wanted to advertise their cars in America it took something special - the land where big cars were king and Germany had connotations of the war meant that a small, German car would be a tricky sell.  They eventually found the Doyle Dane Bernbach agency, a recent company whose outlook would be a perfect way to sell something like a car that couldn't really compare to other cars.

Their printed ads in magazines were completely radical because instead of artwork and showing full scenes with backgrounds, the VW ads were a simple photograph on a plain background.  The text was straightforward too, not like it was given by a salesman but from one person to another.  By the time they started doing TV ads they could relax into their style, this is one of my favourites from the late '60s

Earlier ones were even more of a breakthrough, this 1964 ad hardly shows the car at all and tells you almost nothing about it as far as conventional ads go - how fast it is, how roomy, how much of a success it makes you look.  Largely because the VW didn't do any of those things compared to American cars of the time.

Then there's this one - The VW Passat advert "God Bless The Child". Filmed in black & white, which was virtually unheard of at the time because more adverts were watched on colour sets that b&w by this time, beautifully shot, excellently edited together, and a fantastic soundtrack...but: all of this to sell a bloody car that you barely see anything of.

The Fiat Strada ad - Largo Al Factorum  - the only bit of opera I can stand. Just a spectacular ad, superbly done. Apparantly was hell to shoot as they had to close the factory for a couple of days and that caused all sorts of problems. 

Bit of a shame the car was awful! I drove them when they were new as company cars in the mid 80's and they were crap when brand new!

The Audi R8 one is the ad they banned - FFS! The car was on a rolling road - oh but we can't imply a sports car has power can we, so yes, lets ban it........... 

I don't like Audi's and the R8 isn't my thing at all but the sound of that V10 is glorious, esp on downshifts with the blue flames on the overrun.