Estate(s) of the nation - Gagging to get started on Volvo 265 GLE project 😀

Heidel_Kakao

post-82-0-33858400-1508689193_thumb.jpg

So the Impreza left my ownership today but it's still within the family, literally in fact as my brother is having it. He is giving up his company car next month and wanted something cheap and reliable as a WBOD and I was only using the Impreza to pop to the shops in as it was easier to park than an XM.

It should make a good winter daily driver being AWD and auto and my brother seems to like it and washed it today which shamefully I never did once even though I have washed Pez XM a bunch of times.

I am still on the lookout for a large Japanese classic estate but I think I may have to go to Scandinavia for what I want. My aborted trip to Oslo was meant to be a semi scouting trip but Ryanair put paid to that, still I feel it's all going to work out ok in the end :)

Current estate count - 2 XM's

Does it need to be Japanese?

To go to Japanese Classic Sunday in Holland yes. However that Volga is awesome and I was not aware of them before now, I may have to browse the interwebs and daydream about getting one, there is meant to be an Autoshite expedition to Bulgaria next year as well.

post-82-0-00489300-1508760662_thumb.jpg

This 910 just appeared on the Datsun Club UK Facebook page. It may do me as a stop gap measure till I get the Mark 3 Toyota Crown I really want. It's in Cornwall which is not ideal for popping down to look at it, the guy is looking for £1400 which I have but don't know if that is an ok price or not, I guess as long I can shift it on later without losing any money it does not really matter.

It has MOT till 12-06-2018, appears to be a bit crusty, has horrible wheels and wont be available till 21-11-2017. One to ponder me thinks.

post-82-0-98510100-1508760678_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-50779200-1508760685_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-47553200-1508760695_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-72854000-1508760702_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-79694500-1508760708_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gif1.jpg

Don't they look nice together?

attachicon.gif2.jpg

attachicon.gif3.jpg

Just in case you thought the Subaru had vanished I got all three of my current estates together briefly for one shot. This closed pub has been great for dumping cars at and it's like 20 metres from my house. I hope it never re-opens!

attachicon.gif4.jpg

The boot full of spares diesel XM came with. I have put most of it up in the loft and will probably never need to use any of it.

attachicon.gif5.5.jpg

Highlight of the spares was this grille as I can now restore the shiny to Pez XM's nose. I took the Jeeves and Wooster out of the CD changer as I have read the book already before. There was also a steering wheel in better condition than Pez XM's and some other useful stuff.

attachicon.gif5.jpg

Derv XM is much rustier than Pez XM :(

attachicon.gif6.5.jpg

I could take the towbar off Derv XM but I think I will leave it on the car. I never tow stuff anyway.

attachicon.gif6.jpg

attachicon.gif7.jpg

Lots of writing in the engine bay marking when various items have been changed

attachicon.gif8.jpg

Never seen someone do this before. Magnets stuck to oil filter I assume to trap metal particles.

Hard drive magnets too (neodymium) ;)

I think you can do better than that. Looks like the sort of car that is going to need a TON of money thrown at it.

Yeah you are probably right, the fact the MOT runs out before Japan Classic Sunday in July is not good either though it would probably go through another MOT. I find it difficult to play the waiting game and holding out for the right car. Sod's law states as soon as I buy something not quite right the exact car I want will magically appear out of the ether.

As much as I love running odd stuff as a daily that 910 has done 220k and has all sorts of advisories that all isn't well with it, and that the owner(s) have neglected it for a while.

I might know of a Mazda 929 estate somewhere, more than happy to leave a note on it for you. Doesn't have MOT though.

Mazda 929 is certainly a contender from a size standpoint. Lack of MOT not ideal as I am not really looking for a project but depending on how much or little it needs to pass I could be very interested. 10 years ago I remember 929's and 280C's being almost common, how time takes it toll :(

Rong amount of cylinders M8, if I were going to pop my yank cherry it would need to be a V8

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1973-oldsmobile-custom-cruiser-station-wagon-V8-mot-V5-surf-camper-/282694348497

I would rather have this personally.

Have you still got the contact details for the fella who you sold your old 323 wagon to? Long shot I know. I'd be well up for first refusal if you do track it down and run it in the meantime...

Good question! I thought I would have no chance of still having any details of who I sold it to, however I checked my eBay feedback history and I found the sellers eBay ID - twit66 - https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/twit66 and also how much it sold for £255.99.

Edit - I just messaged them, fingers crossed we get closure on what happened to C53 WPR.

Just had a response it was scrapped :( RIP my old 323. This is why I wish I never had to sell cars and could just barn them and go back to them at a later point, then again there are only so many hours in the day to spend on cars so maybe it's best to face up to reality.

post-82-0-67696600-1498331512.jpg

Nooooooooooooooooo! I’m gutted for you. It looked a gem in your photos. Remaining ones are really thin on the ground now. If you didn’t want an estate, there’s a green BD 323 hatch like the one in your photos, which is currently for sale for around £450.

That Bluebird estate keeps cropping up! I helped the original/long-term owner find a home for it several years ago. I think it had spent some of its life as a taxi in the Southampton area. Even then it didn't sound like a good long-term prospect (I speak as someone who owned an ostensibly smart but knackered underneath one of these back in 2003).

15084497930_bbf0d1abd2_c.jpg

1984 Nissan Bluebird 1.8GL Estate (910) by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

The one I had:

That Bluebird estate keeps cropping up! I helped the original/long-term owner find a home for it several years ago. I think it had spent some of its life as a taxi in the Southampton area. Even then it didn't sound like a good long-term prospect (I speak as someone who owned an ostensibly smart but knackered underneath one of these back in 2003).

The one I had:

I had one like this BEL425Y IIRC, bought it from the auctions ex company car, fully waxoyled it and i mean fully it was completely rust free at 2 years old when i bought it, perfect, cleaned the interior which had been heavily smoked in.

Totally reliable, bloody good car which never put a foot wrong, stupidly (young idiot who needed a good kick up the arse) i got bored with it and sold it on, though at a decent profit, and like our other bomb proof estate the 940 Diesel bitterly regretted selling it for years...cos i went back to Sierras and the like so resumed mending the bloody things regularly instead of just servicing.

Those Toyota 1000 estates are great fun around town but utterly hopeless out of it.  70 is about 5,000 rpm and they're so light they get blown into the ditch every time an HGV drives past.

Yeah considering I need to do a 2000 odd mile road trip across Europe with two Greyhounds and a ton of crap including a bicycle I don't think a Toyota 1000 is going to cut it.

attachicon.gif910 front.jpg

This 910 just appeared on the Datsun Club UK Facebook page. It may do me as a stop gap measure till I get the Mark 3 Toyota Crown I really want. It's in Cornwall which is not ideal for popping down to look at it, the guy is looking for £1400 which I have but don't know if that is an ok price or not, I guess as long I can shift it on later without losing any money it does not really matter.

It has MOT till 12-06-2018, appears to be a bit crusty, has horrible wheels and wont be available till 21-11-2017. One to ponder me thinks.

You can certainly do better than that.. My Bluey estate can be had for less, has no rust & low miles, plus was 1 owner till 18 months ago & had a new clutch a couple of months back (which is an arse of a job).

Yes, its FWD instead of rear, but that means its better in snow & wet!  :mrgreen:

post-3844-0-06492400-1509044471_thumb.jpg

post-3844-0-57832800-1509044515_thumb.jpg