Estate(s) of the nation - Gagging to get started on Volvo 265 GLE project 😀

Heidel_Kakao

The only other place I've seen those fancy mirrors is on MG A cars, some suggest they were the optional fitment, others that you just bought them from the local car spares place.  As long as the mirror head stalk matches, you can fit any mirror head to your existing stalks and yours being the flat sided peg means you've a good amount of choice.  You can dismantle the mirror, it's usually held into the casing with the rubber seal and you have to push down on the glass to release it.  With some, you can then dismantle the ball socket inside too, which means you can keep your original stalk fitting if needed and pop new heads on.

Progress! Hazzah!

You could possibly see a glazier about getting a new piece of mirror cut and put in the original head.

Say, how is the rest of the fleet going? Still got the ex-Dollywobbler Proton with the “pretending to be a Wolseley” light up nose?

Yeah I may look into getting the glass replaced at a later date but new heads will do for now.

The Proton was sadly stolen by joyriders and written off :(

post-82-0-93804100-1540734728_thumb.jpg

I picked up this excellent automobile from Skattrd a short while ago (a very nice chap he is too) and have just brimmed the tank prior to heading home. It drives like a good un :)

post-82-0-88614400-1540735004_thumb.jpg

Executive status achieved :) The interior is a rather nice place to be and it's the first car I have owned with cruise control which is mildly exciting.

Have you also bought an Alfa 156 ? Or should the title read 1988?

Only the 405 so well spotted on the typo, now corrected :)

Back home now but too lazy to take any more photo's. No problems on the journey home and everything of importance works as do most of the unimportant items.

In case anyone thinks I am trying to corner the market in French estate cars I have bought the 405 for an easier and less stressful life that I am needing at the moment and so both XM's and the Impreza will be for sale within the next month leaving me with Cedric and this new 405. Meaning I can spend all my time and money on Cedric and have the 405 as dependable easy to maintain transport.

What's the story with your diesel XM Heidel?

Pretty depressing to be honest, it's been sitting on my Mother's drive since December last year after the clutch failed and is also pretty rusty :(

In more happy news I can finally reveal Cedric's reg number :) In a sign of how low my motivation has been I only sent the application off a few weeks ago but had done the NOVA declaration within two weeks of importation at least.

So drum roll......

post-82-0-99849600-1541251505_thumb.jpg

Cedric is now VOD 686J

Just need to order some number plates and new tyres and I should be set to drive him on the road again for the first time in months, can't wait.

So I thought I would try and fix something that was already broken when I got Cedric, the boot lock which wasn't doing what it is supposed to do namely locking.

attachicon.gifIMG_20181017_140656.jpg

Got it off the car without too much bother but have not managed to fix it, the key inserts freely but it just won't turn. I don't know for certain that I have the correct key although the one I have operates the other door locks no problem. Couldn't figure out how to remove the lock barrel and didn't want to risk breaking it any further so will just lube and reattach to the car for now.

Very late to this. Only to add it may be a different key. The car was intended for the US market and there was a lot of valet parking - doors and ignition were often on one key - glove box and boot/tailgate were on another for security you did not give to the car hop.

Pretty depressing to be honest, it's been sitting on my Mother's drive since December last year after the clutch failed and is also pretty rusty :(

In more happy news I can finally reveal Cedric's reg number :) In a sign of how low my motivation has been I only sent the application off a few weeks ago but had done the NOVA declaration within two weeks of importation at least.

So drum roll......

attachicon.gifIMG_20181103_131913.jpg

Cedric is now VOD 686J

Just need to order some number plates and new tyres and I should be set to drive him on the road again for the first time in months, can't wait.

Very old Datsun?