Estate(s) of the nation - Gagging to get started on Volvo 265 GLE project 😀

Heidel_Kakao

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the welcome back everybody :)

It's safe to say this year hasn't gone according to plan but I am getting back on track now and have started to sort out Cedric, I am trying to do at least one task a week and so there should be regular if not very exciting updates forthcoming.

Welcome back, how are the XMs?

The green Volvo is now sold to a chap in Scotland. He flew down and drove it back. Well I presume he got all the way back, he definitely made it as far as the Dartford crossing because it went through on my account.

Pez XM is due an MOT this month and derv XM is still sitting on my mother's drive :( No great surprise that the 940 went to Scotland as all Volvo's seem to end up there eventually.

So I thought I would try and fix something that was already broken when I got Cedric, the boot lock which wasn't doing what it is supposed to do namely locking.

post-82-0-19632600-1539787495_thumb.jpg

Got it off the car without too much bother but have not managed to fix it, the key inserts freely but it just won't turn. I don't know for certain that I have the correct key although the one I have operates the other door locks no problem. Couldn't figure out how to remove the lock barrel and didn't want to risk breaking it any further so will just lube and reattach to the car for now.

Is there one of those dowel pin tube spring thingies in the small hole? If the hole goes right through you can punch it through with a drift. If it doesn't I think you do this 

i was gonna say that you could maybe try the old "grease in the hole" trick.
it works mainly for bringing out bushings in blind holes but it might work on roll pins too. how it works is , fill up the hole in the center of the bushing / pin, and find a pin punch/bolt/wood dowel that is pretty close to the the inside diameter of the same hole. then hit the driver with a hammer. the grease doesnt compress but will get under the pin/bushing and slowly push it out of the hole.

post-82-0-89909100-1539894286_thumb.jpg

Well it's in more pieces now, I used brute force to tap it out after I couldn't see that anything was holding the barrel in. I have cleaned the whole lot with petrol but it still doesn't turn with the key, I will try popping into a locksmiths and get their verdict on it.

post-82-0-21944300-1539894542_thumb.jpg

I replaced the manky old battery terminals and fitted a CTEK quick plug and status indicator lead for easy battery trickle charging.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20181018-225530.png

Just had a thought.... rather than fixing the lock I could install a central locking kit, on eBay they are £12!!! Would be nice to be able to pop the locks with a remote instead of using the key like some kind of caveman :)

flash cnut!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Initially I wasn't a fan of the seat covers but now I really like them and consider it to be a part of the character of Cedric. The headrests hadn't been covered very well so I got some nice fabric off eBay and my mother kindly redid them as I would have made a terrible job had I attempted it.

post-82-0-15367500-1540555548_thumb.jpg

No prizes for guessing that the new fabric is the one on the left :)

post-82-0-26569900-1540555586_thumb.jpg

I took the seats out to remove and wash the covers, you can maybe see why they were covered in the first place.

The wing mirrors are also a bit worse for wear...

post-82-0-71591900-1540555653_thumb.jpg

There is patina and then there is not functional, these fall into the latter category in my opinion.

post-82-0-72372700-1540555708_thumb.jpg

They are Tex mirrors but not of a style I can seem to find being made anymore, however rather than replacing the whole thing I have found new Tex heads that look to attach in the same way so will order a pair of them.

post-82-0-43660300-1540556060_thumb.png

post-82-0-62062500-1540556086_thumb.png

That's what the heads look like, only £14 each as compared to a complete mirror at £46 and it will save me having to remove the old mirror base.