Nice but shite convertible

speedy555

Some of you may remember a white Scimitar SS1 I had on here recently......well in connection with my business I come across a few and just took this one in part payment (Sort of) for a job thinking I would use it myself for the summer.... I got it yesterday and woke up today realisng that won't happen, so here it is selling at a loss but don't want it sneering at me every time I walk past so needs to go.

So this piece of shite is a 1988 model, which is actually one of the more desirable years as it has a galvanised chassis, so no tin worm to worry about! 

Its powered by Fords 1600 CVH from the XR2 which has powered many a boy racer or joy rider through a hedge, but in this its joined up to an MT75 5 speed and rear wheel drive so even more likely to swap ends and kill you  fun :)   I'd like to claim its done 150'000 miles trouble free, but alas had a new engine and box in the late 90's.

Tyres are brand new Dunlops on refurbished alloys

Fairly rare hard top fitted

Electric windows that usually work

electric aerial

CD player

Alarm

Electric mirrors that work when they feel like it

Engine runs well, stops well, etc

New battery

AVO adjustable shocks

and as the previous long time owner was the Scimitar club secretarys son, it has over 8k's worth of bills and history with it, and even a little book logging mileage and fuel put into it

MOT is September IIRC and was in daily use until last week

The bad bits however are......the paintwork is hideous. Faded, scratched, mis-matched, peeling.  It was bumped in 2012 (Panel damage to front corner - but is recorded and had a VIC check) and I think David Blunketts dog put the panels back on (all bolt on plastic) as the panel gaps are terrible. 

Seats are non original and non adjusting buckets, torn, and set for 6 footers

Headlamps need manually raising, but this seems to be due to the panel fitment previously mentioned

Exhaust joint blowing on downpipe

No convertible roof.....yes that's right, a convertible that isn't - unless youre confident it wont rain and remove the hard top which takes 2 mins.  Soft tops are available used though from £30-40 upwards.

But where do you get a galvanised chassied convertible, with non rusting body and XR2 / Sierra mechanicals for £650 ?? And classic insurance?? I'll tell you where....right here :)  And it genuinely is cheap at £650.

Wants more TLC than anything Ive seen for a long time, but the potential is there and all good underneath.....

20170607_112244_zpsgu2w8zkv.jpg

20170607_112224_zpsdag8mdi6.jpg

20170607_111803_zpseuovkfnc.jpg

20170607_111749_zpsype6wwss.jpg

20170607_111723_zpspofcow3c.jpg

20170607_093345_zps8j9h4fw1.jpg

20170606_180352_zpsvvh2e3sw.jpg

20170606_180349_zpsdux9wjon.jpg

20170607_111843_zpsvc1tzdtt.jpg

20170607_111829_zpsiehal3j1.jpg

20170607_111821_zpsyjsipno6.jpg

Lovely shape, much wantage. But unless your HP terms are 10p per week, ahm oot. (Anyone who thinks this is ugly, are probably suffering from something. Like the Aids)

Coalnotdole to the beige phone please!

Best bit is It stood me at £850 and then went from Manchester to Oxford to collect it yesterday so blowing my brains out :) :)   But i've had loads of these  bastards  masterpieces anyway and time is something I'm short of and what this car needs more than ££.  A lick of paint and some shades to disguise yourself and all will be well in the world ..... perhaps

Those who don't know much about the SS1 (Small Sports 1) it was designed my Michelotti but he died before it was finished (wings have that triumph 200 ish swage).  All panels unbolt so to keep repairs easy and insurance low, or so was the plan, and all the angles, folds and swages are needed to keep the panels rigid as they are mainly plastic and were made by Dunlop :)

It came over the years with a 1300 CVH, 1400 CVH, 1600 CVH and Nissan 1800 Turbo.

And you'd be taking it home! Almost.

Indeed, only a mile away from its birth place. I have seen three in the last year and every one has either been when I had no space or when I had just emptied my fun pot (o er missus), but a Gibson Thunderbird cheap was hard to resist......

You know I had a real want for these when they first came out and I actually owned one for seven years before it refused to work and almost bankrupted me in garage bills.I also at one time bought a rough four speed 1300 model and the opposite end of the spectrum a 1800ti that was shit hot fast in a straight line but truly delay when it came to handling. The 1600 is the sweet spot and for me it worked as a daily driver until I tried a Mgf and felt like I had moved up to the pinnacle of motoring excellence - yes really!

The worst part of ownership was selling the thing and dealing with members of the owners club who almost put me off cars and indeed people for life. However having said all of the above my daily MGF got rear ended last week and so I am on the lookout for a sports car and this would be a change from my other MGF, plus no worries about some scrote ruining the paintwork. Very tempted and will message the seller if not too far away. So to summarise I have first hand knowledge of how shit they are but I still want it, which explains why I come to this place of worship.

Splendid; same colour as mine, but you've got far less shitey paint and a matching hardtop rather than comedy non-matching red. Cerulian blue IIRC? Your interior is far less shitey too, mine was falling apart, the OE seats had done at least a zillion miles and the foam resembled that oasis stuff florists use.Top shiteing.