Licensing Offices- dont you just love' em!

nigel bickle

These people never cease to amaze me with their foul up's -thought you might like to know their latest.You may recall the recent import of an Ozzie Datsun Bluebird - registered through Brighton Office.I decided to re-register it -a consecutive number to the other Bluebird seemed 'quaint'.Said paperwork was sent to them - which they returned to the Number Plate Dealer -stating they couldnt read the tax disc copy -who posted it on to me. OK. I could read it -but hey.So, re-sent with a colour copy -again returned to said Dealer 'unreadable' returned again to me -questioning their sanity as it was crystal clear. Would have made a good forgery...So I sent them the original disc -taking the vehicle 'off road' since it wasnt displaying.Sent back again -cos 'THE MOT ISNT SHOWING ON OUR COMPUTER'.Huh? Implications of a bent MOT fill me with anger -so I get on the phone. Forcibly re-routed to Swansea a muppet there cant understand what I'm talking about -and tells me my only option is to visit Brighton office -a right pain as I'm doing a spot of Contract work in central Brum.So -I take a day off and go to Brighton to confront a callow youth.Dialogue along the lines of:- 'Its not showing on our computer- so it must be bent''But you issued it -when you allocated the number''What?'This vehicle was first registered by you. You issued the Reg number, re-printed the MOT from chassis number only ,and took £50 for the priviledge''Oh. Well if you get a new MOT I'm sure it wont be a problem...''But its showing on the VOSA & Police computer. Why buy a replacement?After an Office conflab:'OK. We'll reissue -supply a replacement MOT with the new number but take no responsibility for its authenticity'So thats where we stand. I now hold an MOT that they issue but wont recgonise.It may or may not show on Police computers -and God help me if I want to change the Registration again during the life of this ticket.Now calmer, I have written to their Regional Manager claiming for 400 mile round trip, a day off work, parking and wear/tear to my car. Dont hold out much hope -but it truly pisses me off!Sorry for the rant.

When I registered my Tatra it was a doddle, even though they couldn't read any of the documents - they just took what I handed them, asked me what to put in all the boxes on their form and away I went.When I registered the Beetle it was a nightmare, took ages and I had to have it inspected by someone who didn't know where the chassis plate was :roll: Gareth