Improving Ireland's Climate MKII - This time with a MKII - Caution: Contains Spikey!

Junkman

After a well deserved week off which was sensibly* used for recreation in form of picking up a shonky Renault 16 from Cuxhaven,

Spikey

35065572770_957db5c827_b.jpg

and I set sail for the Emerald Island today for further climate improvement.

We came not too soon:

35285602172_0c9506b35f_b.jpg

The Climate is shite and urgently requires Improvement©.

Spikey likes old Granadas.

We were in good company.

34610728554_2fe5133998_b.jpg

34610727904_899d00850f_b.jpg

35412476576_bc8ae3a30c_b.jpg

35412475256_86f0dc3a43_b.jpg

34610725824_3c4984ce62_b.jpg

There were also at least four 97 seater Neoplans on the boat, full with Germans, who undoubtedly came to inspect the island

that was handed over to them without any resistance in 2008. They all were from Franconia, so the worst kind, which prompted

me to parade being Austrian more than usually.

Another thing I learned on this crossing is that the Chinese have the most sophisticated selfie sticks.

So this time it wasn't like being on my own private yacht.

Fuck tourists. Well, one of them was actually quite rah.

Then this happened:

35412466146_7a8e431493_b.jpg

Two roundabouts in succession and an immediate left turn proved too much for the Beastestate and it just conked out.
Of course this happened during the worst downpour this side of Pune, what else is new?

But after only a few minutes of Spikey and me panicking, an Irishman stopped to ask what happened.

I said I have no idea, but usually this is cured by pouring some pez straight down the bores.

Well, he didn't carry any spare petrol, neither did I. So he took me to a nearby station, where I procured

a jerrycan and pez and he drove me back to the Beastestate.

Before we did anything else, I just turned the key of the Beastestate and it jumped into life as if nothing happened!

So rapid progress was made towards the temporary GGG headquarters, which were reached without anything untoward.

Such a grand old girl, even if she did shame herself briefly.

There's no shame in being a cantankerous old bastard now and again!

This car had a pretty easy life when I had it, I'm not that surprised it's playing up a bit now it's being made to actually be used as it should be again.

I'm tempted to chock a tin of snake oil into the tank.

I wonder what it is causing it? Is it worth trying to swap to the other spare carb? It seems random, yet it fired up not long after cutting out.

It is a magnificent looking car though, it stands out so much in that que of modern blobs.

Also, wtf is spikey!?

Stuck needle and seat, or float level I assume. Presumably Pierburg related, or tank.

She is a queen.

Spikey was made for me by Junkdaughter #2 so that I don't feel lonely on my Irish endavours.

He is a "Buddy" she says.

He is also decidedly 3D, thus not a flat traveller.

Spikey looks a bit like something similar we used to make back when I was in school but we used the 'spikey' heads from some form of plant, they were a bit like the heads of thistles. They looked a bit like hedgehogs! I'm pretty sure my mum has kept one with all my old school crap somewhere.

Either way, Spikey is cool!

Well, you are wrong.

The Pierburg/Solex EEIT and especially the 38 are better then the Weber carbs.

But since nobody in the UK understands how they work, they must be rubbish.

They are very common in Europe, but like any other old and used carb, they have to be maintained once in a while.

Carburetors are not a drop and forget part for 30 years. And these days the rubbish fuel doesn't do any good either,

since the ethanol content causes lots of issues inside the carbs, no matter who made them.

The Pierburg rebuild kit even contains the parts that are usually not found in the Weber rebuild kits (power valve & choke pull off).