Can't change gear

MrRegieRitmo

assuming you dont have my number any more as phoning me would have given you free advice and a free clutch cable( clutterring up my workshop) although not free fitting :) renault have modded the pedal ratchet and needs different length cable to suit ie the only genuine part available now pattern ones could be either short and too long or short by 20mm pedal is all black at top if old type and part white for modded one (available since mid 90s i think)paul

Cable arrived the other day, dropped it round to the garage. Picked the car up earlier, garage said no charge as had already paid £45 for the failed attempt at repairing the original cable. Can't argue with that. Result. Gear change now works like a dream, quick, smooth & easy, can even just 'put it' in reverse without even a hint of a crunch. Assumed that was a clutch problem & that the new cable wouldn't make a difference to that. Even bigger result! :D

Cable arrived the other day, dropped it round to the garage. Picked the car up earlier, garage said no charge as had already paid £45 for the failed attempt at repairing the original cable. Can't argue with that. Result. Gear change now works like a dream, quick, smooth & easy, can even just 'put it' in reverse without even a hint of a crunch. Assumed that was a clutch problem & that the new cable wouldn't make a difference to that. Even bigger result! :D

Result.. Shows you have an honest garage. Few and far these days.

well done glad its still going :D personally only fit genuine cables to all renaults were possible as pattern ones either dont fit or short lived but some are better than others especially if they have a nylon inner liner ps found a rear silencer for a r9 the other day let me know if you want it FOC if you collect :) paul

It's seems there is another twist in this tale! Used the car for work this morning for the first time since I collected it from the garage. All fine to start off with but as the journey wore on it began to get stiff to get into 1st & 2nd gear again :roll: . Further along & I heard it 'crack' slightly again which made me very nervous as that is usually followed by 1 or 2 more 'cracks' before the cable breaks & the peddle goes soft. :( It didn't, and it got me to work thankfully but frankly I don't trust it one iota & don't fancy my chances of making it back home tonight without it breaking again! Why won't it stay fixed?? :x

Hmm, sounds to me like a fault which occured on a Renault 11 we had in the garage years ago.The 'cracking' you can hear sounds like the clutch rachet slipping, is the clutch very heavy? Possibly too heavy and its causing the self adjusting ratchet to fail. Only cure for that certain 11 was to have the clutch replaced.

You may have to swiftly learn the art of clutchless driving...

Any clues? :?

It's either a dodgy cable (but how unlucky must I be to have the old one & the new one go bad??) or by process of elimination something to do with the clutch itself! Either way I need to find a solution urgently, I'm wasting all my holiday because it's easier than trying to find a way to get into work or get around the awkwardness of having to ask for lifts....again

I work in the middle of nowhere, 25 miles from home. A bus does come by this way but the time at which I would be able to catch it from the nearest train station is too late for when I need to be at my desk! Taxis will be a tenner to/from the station which is uneconomical...

On most cars, it's possible to change gear without using the clutch - a question of timing and matching engine speed to road speed for the appropriate gear. It isn't that kind to gearbox internals, so it is a last resort.Similarly, if there isn't too much traffic, it should be possible to stop and start without clutch. Pull it out of gear when stopping (not all gearboxes like this) and start in gear with a stamp on the throttle. Kangeroo ahoy!Not really ideal, but can be enough to limp out of trouble. I have twice driven a 2CV across Birmingham in this manner!

(but how unlucky must I be to have the old one & the new one go bad??) or by process of elimination something to do with the clutch itself!

Is the clutch heavy? As I said in my previous post, the Renault 11 was showing pretty much the same symptoms. We changed the cable and adjusting ratchet, and it seemed ok, two days later it came back with the same fault. Seemed that the cluch as it wore (and it wasn't worn out) got heavier, and eventually it would get to the point where the plastic ratchet couldn't maintain its grip and slipped meaning that you couldn't get 1st/reverse.Having not driven your car, I can't say 100% that this is the right diagnosis, but it does sound pretty similar.

Have to say the clutch peddle doesn't strike me as particularly stiff, just the gear change. I've experienced what a heavy clutch feels like on the 306 I borrowed from my sister's other half - you really had to press down hard on the clutch peddle in order to change gear! This isn't like that though, unless there are degrees of heaviness? The peddle goes down easily, I might find I have to press hard for the final few millimetres though to make sure it's fully down but that could be unnecessary!?Thanks for all advice

OK, where is the biting point on the clutch? Should be about halfway through the travel. After it 'cracks' does the biting point change? I would presume that the biting point gets nearer to the floor?If the biting point is right at the bottom of the travel, then it could be that the clutch pressure plate (the part in the clutch that moves the clutch plate) could be weak/collapsed. Hence when you had the cable (and ratchet?) changed before all was ok, and it has now got worse as the pressure plate collapses more.

The adjuster is a fiddly job to do, but not a big job. (it lives at the top of the clutch pedal, so is a head under the dash job) If you have had the cable changed you would have thought that the adjuster would have been done at the same time. Might be worth checking with the garage if they did.Its far cheaper to get that replaced, but I fear it may not be the end of the problem.

Right, since yesterday I haven't touched the car at all, I opted to leave it sat where it is in the works car park. I didn't want to chance trying to drive it home if the clutch / gear change was to fail, until I had sorted out an increased level of roadside assistance as the last thing I need is to get stranded about 5 miles from work with a 10 mile towing limit (if they couldn't fix it) I'd end up being taken back to work again a lá Alfa Romeo back in Feb last year. I didn't make it home that week, ended up kipping at my sister's other halves's parents place in Portsmouth until an auto electrician could visit the car! Even worse would be if the car broke mid point in the journey as I may be out of range to be towed either home or back to work leaving me well & truly up shit creek without a paddle! Anyway I've now got the assurance that I can be towed to wherever at whatever distance, a big relief, if only for a maximum of 5 times! I will now leave it a couple of days to let the dust settle & on Friday I will attempt to drive home & see how far I get - could be an interesting journey!Once the hurdle of getting it home is overcome, then I just have to deal with the hurdle of how to get it fixed...again...

My intention was to give Paul a bell once I'd sorted out getting the car back home, didn't want to get ahead of myself & make appointments until I knew my plan of action. I was then going to try & get the car over to him if it was still running or get recovered over there, but then it dawned on me that rather than waste 2 call outs if the car doesn't make it home, I could just use one & get taken straight over to Paul's - kill 2 birds with one stone etcI've given Paul a call & he says he'll kindly take a look at it for me on Friday or Saturday.

Further to this, I went to the car this morning to confirm that it's the same situation as before, and it is - with the engine off it changes gear without any problem at all! Very strange. Some sort of proess must take place with the engine running that makes the clutch stop working in harmony with the pedal - this ratchet thing?On a separate issue, Nigel you have a PM

Reg-pm replied too. You've got my numbers-shout SOON if I need to get the dolly out.The ratchet mechanism has failed, so the clutch cableisnt really operating. Hence clutch will work fine, when the engines not running-doesnt want-or won't engage when its running.Pauls is too far to drive like that-the certain traffic around Bognor & Worthing would mean its likely to damage the clutch/starter motor with constant restarts.So-breakdown truck, rope or dolly-no A frame at present

I'm going to whisper it, but... it appears to be fixed now!

Paul (Mr Reno) took a quick look at it on Saturday & it had become detached somehow at the peddle end, nothing wrong with the cable or touchwood ratchet.

A minute later & it was sorted, been fine ever since. A bit of a miracle that the car made it home from work on Friday (25 miles) and again to Paul's on Saturday (about 18 miles) without it becoming completely detached!

So big thanks to Paul & also for the stack of handbooks for the R14 & R9 & the R14 airfilters! :D:wink:

Bromley here we come! :wink:

• 1 month later...

I will get the 14 up & running again but not to take over daily duties as I got the other cars in order to relieve it of that responsibility. My aim is for it to become a dry weather & weekend car & take it to more shows in the future. (especially now knowing that there are apparently only 32 of them left on the road, although my question is - where are they all??)

THIRTY-two? I'd be surprised if there's as many as TWO taxed at the moment! :) I suppose there could be another thirty on SORN...
I suggest you check out page 7 (I think) of the May Practical Classics for a smallish article on the 14 from their 'Endangered Species' series!
Will see if I can take a dekko at the piece - however, I (rightly or wrongly) tend to form my own assessment of a vehicle's relative rarity judging by how often it appears on Ebay, and I'm not aware of any Fourteens ever becoming available this way... :) At least two Tagoras though, and you can't tell me there's at least 32 of THOSE on the road :lol:
Going back to this, in the current issue of PC it now features the 604 in the endangered species feature, apparently there's only 15 left on the road. So that's less than half that of the figure for the R14. It goes on to mention that it's rivals were the R30 (only 10 left on the road) & the Tagora (only 5 left on the road). I'm not sure where they're getting these figures from but that suggests you're more than twice as likely to see an R14 than a 604, 3 times as likely to see an R14 than an R30 & 6 times as likely to see an R14 than a Tagora! Yet IIRC correctly I'm sure all of those 'rarer' cars have cropped up in people's spotted threads on these shores at one time or another but an R14 has yet to be spotted by anyone! Bad luck? A coincidence? I mean going by that, then Electric Leyland has pretty much single handedly spotted the entire remaining population of Tagoras! :lol: So are these figures to be taken with a pinch of salt, as in either the 604, R30 & Tagora are not quite as rare as they're suggesting or 32 is far too optimistic for the R14!? That point backs up what you were suggesting Craig :wink: