320Ts Alfa 156 Sport wagon 2.4JTD £250ono

320touring

MOAR WORK ON THIS TODAY!

we dun fitted the akshul 205/60/15 tyre to the right rear meaning it sits level now:)

Next up, the lap Belt was removed, and the centre full belt secured in place

post-17572-0-31452800-1497196755_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-13188900-1497196812_thumb.jpg

Lastly, we sorted out the spare wheel. - the car originally came with a space saver, but I like to have a full size spare.

Removing the foam from the bottom of the spare wheel well meant I could have a full size spare and a flat floor:)

post-17572-0-61043600-1497196946_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-02701700-1497196969_thumb.jpg

Phwoarrr...*grabs cushion*

Aye, this a bit mair like the hing than thon PD VAG nonsense

Sounds a bit norty

Fairly fruity under load too:)

I like that shove and lazy driving you can have wjth modern diesels. But have to admit, I can not ever love the noise.

The 5pot off beat sound of this is at least a bit more interesting than a 4 banger.

Its not a patch on a straight 6 or v8 petrol though

The whooshy rev bit sounds alright, the textbook idle clatter less so.

I think it sounds XUD and a quarter on startup..

43mpg is pretty much my average on the 2.4 all these years

Can get a heap more by keeping the cruise on below 60 mph, but life is too short for that and part of the a reason proper life is with an Alfa

Funnily enough, I've pegged it back to 60-65 this tank and it appears to be sipping..

Its a nice refined way to slip along at 60 oblivious to the commuters..

Let me know when you've fixed everything. I like coming to Scotland for cheap 156s!!

LOL:)

I used to sort the squeaking front suspension on mine by giving the bushes regularly sprays of silicon. You can reach the top wishbone if you put the wheel on full lock

I think it needs new all round- bottom ball joints like to rattle too. For £100 for all new gear (of unknown quality!) Its gotta be worth a punt.

It needs to pass the CAN I BE ARSED test at the weekend though get the wheels off it and see what its needing

I think it needs new all round- bottom ball joints like to rattle too. For £100 for all new gear (of unknown quality!) Its gotta be worth a punt.

At that money though you'll be revisiting the job before you realise.  The cheap ARBs knock out after a few months.  I've been there

Good luck with the bottom arms. Seriously, though, if you find an easy way to do them, please let me know, because I struggled with the ones I did on the 147.

I think I posted this before but here's a guide I wrote after changing mine:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/366014-changing-lower-wishbone-experience.html#/topics/366014?page=1

A list of niggles and progress:

Front suspension squeaks and clunks (likely replacement needed) Cheap replacements seem to be circa £100 for everything, but I can also get Lemforder upper arms for £70 a pair. Fitting it is likely to be the main issue.

4 different makes of tyre (at least they are all the same size now..)

Dunlop bluresponses seem to be circa £60 a corner, not too bad

5th gear can be grumpy to engage if hustling along there are a couple of potential causes. Either a cracked gearleaver unit or a problem with the selector mech. So either an easy or a more involved fix

Suspected battery drain – the classic “bulb out” light issue in the rev counter.

I'll have a look at the rear clusters and see, I believe Ken swapped out the rev counter (the other common issue)

Key sometimes needs jiggled to get ignition to function lock sets are available, but hoping I can restore the existing one first.

Boot carpets and load covers are manky and need replaced.

Interior could do with a proper clean- I may have to crack out the Rug Doctor.

I know I can get a spare boot set easily enough, but at about £50 cost, so I'll try the rug doctor first and see

60% split of folding rear seat won’t fold down.

May need either a replacement back section or the mechanism sorting. Handle to release is broken. Not pressing as seat back is secure.

Bottom of the front wings are holy enough for the Vatican City.

There is talk of Tickman overseeing me expertly* tack some metal in as required.

I think this weekend may see me trying to get a full looks at this beast. I may need to consider servicing it too- rapidly approaching 1500miles.

Take out boot carpet

Nail it from 2 corners to the garage wall

Pressure wash Tae fuck out of it

Spray cleaner, scrub hard, pressure wash Tae fuck out of it

Extract water with rug doctor

De nail it from the garage wall

Brush the carpet pile over the nail holes

Refit

Go like clean fuck

Nail it to Hadrian's Wall

Funnily enough, the Antoine wall ain't too far from here.. Only issue now is getting a water supply for the jetwash (that I don't have). Joys of having no external tap and access to back garden via the house.

Think stiff brush plus rug doctor should do it. But not until I've worked out if its worth the saving!