Bodging with Alabama Shrimp

AlabamaShrimp

Is the spring washer on the battery post photo where it is for a reason? Would normally go next to the nut.

Also spring washers are supposed to be tightened until they flatten out or the terminal would be loose.

I thought that.

By putting the spring washer between the cable terminal and battery terminal you've effectively greatly reduced the contact surface area.

I've always put the washer next to the nut.

• 3 weeks later...

If I can give one piece of advice it's don't by an ST. When it needs fixing its always expensive.

This week it's been to yet another garage, the friend of a bloke at the wife's work, as the hand brake was sky high, it's clicking when turning right and it's over revving, bit like the Carb needs turning down but of course it's not that easy.

Hand brakes been done, apparently it needed a new cable as it was making it stick closed. It might have done that before I can't remember.

They've no idea why it clicks when turning. A link on the steering was sticky so they greased the shit out of it and it does seem to have got rid of a 'dead spot' while turning right but that noise is annoying.

Only does it when the wheels have been straightened up. I tried to get a video but it's not loud enough.

As for the other thing I'll have to go over every air intake pipe again checking for splits or get it plugged in. Last time though, when it was worse, it showed no faults.

Forgot to say when I went to pick it up I drove past a mk2 Fiesta that was dumped in what looked like a caravan storage place.

Couldn't stop and I can't see it on street view so no idea who's it it. It's the first one I've seen round here in ages so I'll have to try and find out as I need some bits. Saying that if they know how much they can get on ebay...

• 1 month later...

A new fun and exciting opportunity for bodging has presented itself that unfortunately I can't fix.

May I present the now very saggy Frontera drivers seat.

post-17845-0-22344100-1524220940_thumb.jpg

Yesterday just has I got to Huddersfield it made a very small movement and assumed a spring broke.

It's not nice to sit on so out it came today. It must have been out before as one of the four bolts was missing from the back.

It helpfully pulled the carpet up on removal.

post-17845-0-76113500-1524221151_thumb.jpg

So off with the trim and that white bit back on

post-17845-0-72220900-1524221207_thumb.jpg

Oh dear it's not a spring

post-17845-0-63090900-1524221252_thumb.jpg

Of course on the quick look I've had I can't see anywhere that does replacements but I know a guy that fixes seats so I'm sure he'll be able to do it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Following the post in the grumpy thread about my mate and the random juddering yesterday today I went to have a look.

When I got there the drivers side front tyre was flatish and covered in cracks, both were badly worn. So sod loads of messing about changing them around I just took axel stands.

post-17845-0-44571700-1527526548_thumb.jpg

Due to the shape of the road I had to pump the tyre back up to get the jack under. You could see then the side walls were wobbly but put them together

post-17845-0-97824500-1527526644_thumb.jpg

Oh dear.

Ended up at Kwik Fit as they were the only ones that could do it today. Guy thinks the whole side wall has failed. Mate had rung them and they said £60ish on the phone. Tit didn't ask was that for one or two tyres. Of course it was only one so £125 later.

post-17845-0-17276800-1527526789_thumb.jpg

Still needs the tracking doing and brakes as they are catching and a bit low.

When getting the stuff out of the Frontera I noticed the bit of carpet in the back had what I thought was oil on it.

post-17845-0-67352600-1527527288_thumb.jpg

Not oil...

post-17845-0-93891100-1527527325_thumb.jpg

The boot floor doesn't look that bad and isn't wet

post-17845-0-15651100-1527527362_thumb.jpg

But it does mean waters getting in somewhere. All the seals on the tailgate look OK so when I've time it's going to have to be messing with a watering can.

• 2 weeks later...