Bodging with Alabama Shrimp

AlabamaShrimp

It's a weird car. German made so a lot better metal then the others and no rot underneath (apart from two very small bits I had done a few years ago) but just the outer edge of the back arches are starting to go.

The front is another story. Battery box is a mess and the inner wings have a few patches. Them and the wings could do with replacing but seeing as I don't trust anyone round here to do it (got mega ripped off with the xr2) it'll just have to be bodges for now

Drill a 4-5 mm hole in the flange of the stat.I had mega problems on reliants with air locks caused by the stat,old stats had a hole with a ball in to allow water in/air out,even with stat closed,drilled a hole,air lock fixed.

Didn't know that's what they were for. Will get it done before I fake it out for a drive.

You got the heater working.

Since then, if there weren't a temp gauge, would you worry about anything? Anything at all?

The R16 has a speedo, a fuel gauge and an ammeter.

I bet you anything, if it had as much as one gauge more, the drive home from Bremen would have been half as relaxed as it was.

Same goes for Series 1 vs. Series 2 P6. The Series 1 has no oil pressure gauge, it makes life so much more easygoing.

As long as the water doesn't boil, everything is fine, no matter what a stupid gauge, better ones than the car industry fits being

available at the poundshop, tries to tell you.

Now put that thermostat back in so it reaches operating temperature again.

^^I k on what you mean and I was watching the gauge too much and no the engine didn't do anything, as in no steam or leaks.

I did have to put the thermostat back in though so it didn't run too cold as the last time I took it out it was a bit 'jumpy'.

The Frontera has an oil gauge, it moves a lot, wish it wasn't there as I'm always thinking somethings wrong when I bet it isn't.

Left the Frontera on a flat bit last night so I could check the oil this morning as the oil gauge was off the scale yesterday on the motorway.

The twat is full. So it must be a blocked, dirty or just knackered sensor. Will fix it eventually even if all that means is I haven't got to watch the needle jump about

Decided to give the Fiesta its biannual wash changing it from 50 shades of green back to pogweasel.

I s not looking good for the back arches. As can be seen on some other pics there's some silver bits of plastic round the them.its all that's keeping the back passenger one together...

post-17845-0-95781200-1498315701_thumb.jpg

Will have to just fill it or something for the test and get saving for the welding as its way above what I can do

So as I hadn't had chance to take it out for a drive since I out the thermostat back in off we went.

The temperature needle went just above cold so I tested the heater and it worked. Unfortunately the needle didn't stop going up. Just before red on the gauge the thermostat must have opened as it went back to the middle, heater was working very nice now.

So lots of fannying about means it must have been an air lock in the heater matrix and it gets hot as the shitty thermostats don't have a hole in them and take ages to open.

Is the gauge accurate? Getting up to near the red might mean the gauge is a bit wonky rather than anything wrong with the engine. 

I got something like this when someone posted a link up with a discount a few weeks ago. 

Chances are the thermostat is doing the right thing and the gauge is a bit off - we had a Golf of a similar vintage once that always seemed to run on 3/4 on the gauge but the actual temperature was fine.

Thanks for the cheerleaders, I'll have the ginger one second from the right please.

The gauge might be out I'm not sure. It hardly moved at all though when I ran the car without a thermostat and the heater still got worm. Still it's only a small brass thing under the thermostat that measures so its easy to change.

I got one of those thermometers. Above there should be some pics from the other week when I ran it up to temp with no thermostat and you can see everything was doing its job as it should.

What I mean is, run it up with a thermostat in and measure the temp on the thermostat housing just after it opens.

If the temp there is only 85 or whatever the thermostat is rated for then the system is working fine and the gauge is just reading a bit high.

• 3 weeks later...

Well today was super bodge day as instead of actually attempting to weld anything, getting pissed, break something and not be able to fix or have any money to pay someone to fix it.

Anyway filler it was on a small hole in the inner wing. 'what's that near the indicator?' shit another hole and another but smaller, it'll be a horrible place to weld.

So a bit more filler and a lot of underseal later they're all gone* went all the way down the sill edges with underseal too. Most of the sills are excellent apart from the beck ends I had done about 3/4 years ago. They're coated in some very thick black shit that looks like it's bubbling so they'll need doing again.

I'll either have to get good at welding of start saving as its going to need quite a bit of work very soon. Luckily 99% of panels are available.

Test due very soon. It better pass!

My Renault did the whole temperature up to high then suddenly back down thing.

Turned out the brand new thermostat I bought was actually quite shite and whilst it was opening fine, it did not do so smoothly because it pushed out sideways and fouled the metal cage it lived in so the thing would pop open once it was a bit warm then shut when it was a bit cold. Also showed up if I went for a high speed drive, it would become really stable.

Bought a slightly more expensive one locally, tested it beforehand for smooth operation and that one so far has made the temperature go up and then stay put at 90.

With the thermostat out you may find the extra volume of water that can circulate cleared some of that crap out to a different location, I'd be flushing the radiator and heater matrix again after that.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

As I wrote in another thread the red Fiesta failed its test the other day on a stupid drain hole rotting out (one an inch above where it would be any use) and some scratches on the windscreen that have been there for years.

I'll do what I can to the hole if I done smash the welder up first and although I spoke to the tester about polishing the scratch out after a few posts on here I thought sod it and I've got them coming on Wednesday to put a new screen in.

Claimed on the insurance as there's a chip too (also there years) and it'll cost £100 I don't have but I need the car.

Anyway in other bodging news the mk6 ST has decided it wants to have a lumpy idle and a strange thing where when your coming to stop, off the accelerator and on the clutch the revs jump from 1500 to 2000 for a bit then settle back down.

Been doing it for a bit and now it's got worse. If you're not moving and just touch the gas it does the same with the revs.

Took a video. Was doing while I sat there but it doesn't look like it??

Took the air intake tube off as it was all split and taped it all up but it made no difference.

post-17845-0-36192400-1501524930_thumb.jpg

post-17845-0-10350900-1501524963_thumb.jpg

Ordered a scrap one off ebay that's only got one split and I'll see if I can melt if back together.

So it's either the throttle body getting stuck or the throttle position sensor. As modern I've no idea so it's going to Ford tomorrow.