Applying for a V5

buckbuckbuckie

Help me apply for a V5!

The vehicle is badged as Leyland Sherpa 215 Deluxe

The reg is RHN 502R and shows up on the MOT History database as Leyland back to February 2006.

How Many Left only shows Sherpas as Freight Rover, no Leyland Sherpas or British Leyland Sherpas.  On the V5 application should I go for Freight Rover or Leyland?

I found a small plate in the driver's footwell that reads:

Commission No

CV 306

Would anyone agree with me that 019208 would be the VIN, chassis or frame number?

Does anyone know that the VIN plate is elsewhere on a '77 Sherpa?

It is currently an Ambulance and the tax disc in the window shows NIL tax due to being an ambulance.  It was first used March 1977 so doesn't meet the January 1977 cut off to apply for historic vehicle tax.  Do I go boring and put it to Private/Light Goods or chance trying to leave it as an Ambulance for another year?

Thanks for any help guys.

Thank you everyone.  I am feeling much more confident getting this V5 now.

I've had this Sherpa sat in the garage for a good few months doing nothing.

My eldest who is 7 loves going to all the car shows and always wants to show his T reg Laguna that sits at the garage but I've never let him!  Getting the Sherpa on the road will give us something worthwhile to show and hopefully stop him pestering me to take the Laguna!

Help me apply for a V5!

The vehicle is badged as Leyland Sherpa 215 Deluxe

Do I go boring and put it to Private/Light Goods or chance trying to leave it as an Ambulance for another year?

Might affect VED exemption if it stays as an Ambulance?

You'd have to look at the rules of what constitutes an ambulance, otherwise I'm going to put some sticking plasters in the car and get free tax....

You can still phone Swansea and ask them questions like this btw, they're surprisingly helpful.

It always was if not still is, a vehicles build date that matters, first used/registered date didn't matter. So I'd agree with others, chances are this was built in late 76 so will get free VED. 

Recall years ago when in the MGOC, a chap had a June 73 reg'd Midget - he checked the build date at BMIHT and the certificate came back with a build date of December 72 - hence he got free tax! (I tried it with my 73 Midget I owned then - reg'd start of August 73 - was built in June 73 - Arse!). So well worth a go. 

• 4 weeks later...

They do take absolutely for ever to get V5s out if you actually have to apply for one like that. It'll still be worth it though. Just like when you host the pictures this morning!