The Epic Austrian owned R16 from Germany doing French things in a Parallel Universe near England Saga

Junkman

Fuck everything.

I managed to obtain an original inlet fannymould, carby and aerofilter!
The invaluable help in this matter by fellow Shiter Frogchod cannot possibly be hyped enough!

Thank you so much buddy, I'll never be able to make up for this in my miserable shitty little life.

If I were an Arab Sheik, or a parasitic psychopath like Jeff Bezos, I'd send you a fucking camel!

Ebloodynough is efuckingnough.
I've had it.
Nothing pisses me off more than cars that have been tinkered with by some full of themselves fuckwits, who think they can outsmart someone.
It's exactly those people who can't even outsmart a fucking lobworm. They are too stupid to ever learn.

Listen, shitheads:

You can't outsmart an armada of well paid engineers, especially when they worked in an era where smoke and drinks were still allowed at the office
and it wasn't a bad thing to pinch the secretary's arse. They came up with some cool shit. Dig?

I thus decided to remove the hillbilly shit my car has been festooned with and return it to full Sandouville spec.
This is easier said than done, because all those shade tree mechanics ruining these cars chucked the original equipment.
If it weren't for the invaluable help of Frogchod of this parish, I would have never been able to achieve this.

So.

Pickshiz.

This is the original air filter:

45572927681_8eafcbea68_b.jpg

This is the original carby, which is fucking massive and complex enough to be French:

30631727887_8651818851_b.jpg

This is what will connect said carby and air filter to the engine:

45522291992_338671f831_b.jpg

And this is what the seller of said carby and inlet fannymould threw in as a freebie:

45572860011_882132b28c_b.jpg

I'm sure this is not going to be plain sailing. But I don't want it to be. It's living in the parallel Universe of R16 ownership.
Ask Skizzer. Or D Spares & Tyres if he'd ever bother to commit to leave this here Universe and join us in the other.

So.

Over the next few weeks, I'm going to take you with me into that other Universe, should you give a shit.
Which you don't.
Yes, I know.

I took the starter off mine a few days ago, along with the exhaust and carb manifold. It was surprisingly easy. Nothing broke, not even the manifold gaskets ( two sandwiched together)

I have never seen a joint inlet and exhaust manifold though. Doesn't seem like a good idea but what do I know?

When are we going to see those lush red door cards fitted?

Sadly I'm a busy man and getting it running has priority.

I would like to see those door cards fitted as much as the next man, believe me.

I took the starter off mine a few days ago, along with the exhaust and carb manifold. It was surprisingly easy. Nothing broke, not even the manifold gaskets ( two sandwiched together)

I have never seen a joint inlet and exhaust manifold though. Doesn't seem like a good idea but what do I know?

I don't expect much resistance there, since mine had been removed not too long ago.

There is an invoice somewhere for repair work having been carried out to the studs.

I know quite a few cars with combined manifolds. Apart from not being crossflow, I can't think of any real disadvantage, really.

At risk of incurring Mr Junkman's wrath, I can't help thinking that something internal has been played around with aside from a different carb & manifold - I'm not sure what capacity this Cleon-Alu engine has, and if it's had some bits from a 15/17, 18 or Fuego thrown at it. Could be wrong advance curve for the distributor, a different camshaft or worn components not current thought about or checked.

Standard carb and manifold is a good place to start. Are your valve springs good? Could be a bit of valve bounce or a seating issue

Sadly I'm a busy man and getting it running has priority.

I would like to see those door cards fitted as much as the next man, believe me.

I don't expect much resistance there, since mine had been removed not too long ago.

There is an invoice somewhere for repair work having been carried out to the studs.

I know quite a few cars with combined manifolds. Apart from not being crossflow, I can't think of any real disadvantage, really.

A lot of cars had a hot spot between the two manifolds to aid warm up.

Last week I ordered the manifold gasket for a whopping sixteen Euros(!) from a French seller on eBay.fr in France.

I'm unable to pay him, since he didn't specify any postage, so I have meanwhile sent him three times a total invoice request, all to no avail.

In the interim I'm getting bombarded by eBay UK with warning messages that terrible rigours will come upon me if I dare to defer payment for another minute.

Do you now begin to understand the workings of the parallel Universe of R16 ownership?

• 1 month later...