The Epic Austrian owned R16 from Germany doing French things in a Parallel Universe near England Saga

Junkman

I have one of those Chinese compression testers.

Ghosty will confirm it is indeed shit!

I also have a very large hammer that works well.

I can confirm. I've since bought my own too.

At least, they're shit if the HGF you're testing for is not between two cylinders.

At the risk of Junkman heading over the Woodhead Pass to have a 'quiet word' with me, apart from the condenser or ballast wire, it's not something absolutely stupid is it like a partly blocked fuel filter or the fuel pump playing silly buggers therefore dropping the fuel flow so it doesn't have enough?

I had a similar infuriating issue with the crappy camo Dyane a couple of years back. Similar thing in that the timing light remained on at all times, and I eventually got it running way out of whack. I solved it in the end by changing the entire points box (the pitiful attempt at a distributor) and it was all good, but I never actually worked out what was going wrong. I could only assume the points were earthing out somewhere they shouldn't have been. I was running points-assisted, so no condenser attached. 

Conclusion - BECAUSE FRENCH.

Me once borrowed a Gunson... frustrating piece of shit. Takes forever to get ready, exhaust pipe is to short. at best it's long enough to have it sit half way on the floor, very impractical. With longer pipe did not work at all, likely pump to weak. No water trap, gets clooged with water every so often and pipe needs to be blown dry. If you dont have pressured air, good luck. Reacts very slowly, all around very frustrating to work with this.

Get yourself one of the small Bosch ones, yes they cost about 300€, worth every penny!

duese1.jpg

Sorry my mistake it won't work on these, the engine hides behind the transaxle and the spare wheel.

On a proper car you bash the bonnet down until it compresses the cylinder head a little.

On a proper car you inflate the spare wheel a bit more and it'll be fine.

Having said that, on a really proper car, no OMGHGF will ensue.

I'm stumped. It's bizarre. I well remember how it was running on the way home from Dover, but it kept going and got us back. I remember you mentioning the mixture might be a bit lean at the time. You've done practically everything to try to resolve it so I have no further ideas except, perhaps, to remove the cylinder head and inspect. But compression check first.

I'm stumped. It's bizarre. I well remember how it was running on the way home from Dover, but it kept going and got us back. I remember you mentioning the mixture might be a bit lean at the time. You've done practically everything to try to resolve it so I have no further ideas except, perhaps, to remove the cylinder head and inspect. But compression check first.

You appear to have missed the post in which I announced it's running fine-ish now.

Glad to here it is running better and although there was no chance that the timming would of "jumped" it is possible to put the distributor in incorrectly as the gear that the dog on the bottom of the distributor goes into can be put in incorrectly but I think it could only of happened when the head had been off (if ever) They aren't that bad to work on and once set up will normally stay in tune much better than any of the comparable British offerings.