The Epic Austrian owned R16 from Germany doing French things in a Parallel Universe near England Saga

Junkman

How the 'eck did you actually get a spanner on that exhaust clamp? I can see the one on mine. I can figure out how get a spanner on it as well, as for moving it...Pah! Did the downpipe fit?

BTW. only just read of your French escapade. If you need the roof rack at any point, just ask. It is currently doing what most roof racks do. Taking up too much bleedin' room!

How the 'eck did you actually get a spanner on that exhaust clamp? I can see the one on mine. I can figure out how get a spanner on it as well, as for moving it...Pah!

Spanner is not possible. Small ratchet and jointed extension.

Did the downpipe fit?

I haven't tried it yet, but have no reason to believe it won't.

BTW. only just read of your French escapade. If you need the roof rack at any point, just ask. It is currently doing what most roof racks do. Taking up too much bleedin' room!

That's a very kind offer indeed!

In fact, I was looking for another one at the jumble, but to no avail.

Even in .fr R16s and thus parts for them appear to be scarce.

France strikes me as one of those countries where you stockpile stuff just when you come across it, whether you need it, or not.

Because when you need it, you can't get it.

Spanner is not possible. Small ratchet and jointed extension.

I haven't tried it yet, but have no reason to believe it won't.

That's a very kind offer indeed!

In fact, I was looking for another one at the jumble, but to no avail.

Even in .fr R16s and thus parts for them appear to be scarce.

France strikes me as one of those countries where you stockpile stuff just when you come across it, whether you need it, or not.

Because when you need it, you can't get it.

Food typically as any time you want to eat the entire country is closed! and even if it's open it's all poncy shit & nothing proper or filling.

Food typically as any time you want to eat the entire country is closed! and even if it's open it's all poncy shit & nothing proper or filling.

FFS. Do you guys drive through France with your eyes closed ?

Any where with trucks and vans outside will have great simple grub. But not at 3pm English time.

Blimy, I could even get a proper full English on Sunday morning, but I guess I do have local knowlage for that.

Driving out from the mahoosive autojumble I spotted several grub emporiums open for trade.

There's no need to starve in France.

Unless the menu is moulles frites. ...

This is true Frogchod, although be prepared to be stared at for the duration if your accent isn't local ;-).

When I was in Belgium last month, there was one café open at 8am - for the local workers, where a farmer type was having a couple of beers for breakfast....

Any where with trucks and vans outside will have great simple grub. But not at 3pm English time.

Well if they don't serve at meal times then why would I be looking? :D

I drive through france as little as possible, it solves both issues.

Our eyes were open. France was closed, as always.

Any where with trucks and vans outside will have great simple grub.

There weren't any trucks and vans outside anything, because everything was closed, as always.

Driving out from the mahoosive autojumble I spotted several grub emporiums open for trade.

They must have been well concealed, since we saw none until we reached Rouen,

where the only things open were a Quick and a Sushi restaurant, hence beerage without any further ado.

There's no need to starve in France.

It inevitably happens when you spend a day there, though.

In further R16 news, we managed to get a replacement clamp for the exhaust/manifold flange, but it doesn't seal properly.

I have one of the more substantial examples on order now, which will be fitted upon arrival with the Asbestos paste Squire suggested.

In further news we removed the carby and wanted to exchange it for the Weber I have, but that one has a borked idle stop solenoid.

Hence we will deploy a few cans of carb cleaner on the Solex and put it back on for now.

Job mostly done.

We ended up reusing the Solex.

Only the downpipe/manifold clamp remains and I'm awaiting receipt of a proper one.

I also obtained a tube of Squire approved asbestos toothpaste, which according to the packaging causes skin irritation, serious eye irritiation

and to apply it you have to wear protective gloves, protective clothing, eye protection and face protection, in short a hazmat suit, gas mask and steel helmet and best do it in a lead lined garage.

I also obtained a tube of Squire approved asbestos toothpaste, which according to the packaging causes skin irritation, serious eye irritiation

and to apply it you have to wear protective gloves, protective clothing, eye protection and face protection, in short a hazmat suit, gas mask and steel helmet and best do it in a lead lined garage.

Sounds like good shit with warnings like that. It might actually do the job for longer than half hour.

Further investigation was done.

Swapping the bases over will not work, because the Solex base is actually the throttle body, whereas on the Weber, it's just that. A base.

Consequently shorter studs were ordered. Getting the old studs out was easier than anticipated. The new studs are of the stainless variety and they come with an allen provision at one end. Included are washers, spring washers and nuts.

The Weber I have is of the correct type, but they came in two flavours. One has a choke housing with three studs for the air cleaner housing, like mine has, the other with a choke housing with four studs for the air cleaner housing, which I need. Since air cleaner housings apparently are made from unobtainium, I opted to buy yet another knackered Weber that has the required choke housing, albeit without the shaft and butterflies, so my hope is now that they are compatible, haha.

The infamous exhaust clamp has meanwhile been received and it turns out it's much easier to install when the carby, accelerator cable and hot water pipe for the heated carby base are out of the way. Consequently exhaust fixage has to be carried out with the carby off, which is detrimental to Squire's ductus of running the engine up to temperature to cure the asbestos toothpaste.

It became pretty obvious that whoever converted my car to a dual carby did the most half arsed job imaginable, what else is new.

The trouble with old cars isn't that they are old. It's that they had previous owners that should be dragged out into the car park and treated with a wheel brace until their dentist laughs.

Pickshahz.

R16 engine sans carby:

45006704271_cb8e2b0a7f_b.jpg

Baseplate height difference (Weber left, Solex right):

31134120228_e7d74e0c99_b.jpg

Note that the distance between the mounting flange and the collar for the air cleaner is the same.

Weber (left) baseplate is just a baseplate. Solex (right) baseplate is actually the throttle body.

44287560444_40a32a5b23_b.jpg

Weber (left) with three holes for the air cleaner mounting studs, Solex (right) with four:

44287544474_566abf10a2_b.jpg

Mounting stud shown with Solex (which works):

45006661431_dffb4bf0c1_b.jpg

Mounting stud shown with Weber (which obviously doesn't work):

43195041330_cfbc111ce8_b.jpg

And before one of you smart arses suggests installing the studs upside down, I have you know that my intellect is sufficiently developed to come up with that kind of shit myself, alas, it doesn't work either, because the non threaded part is too long:

31134054128_6b83e5002d_b.jpg

In face of all this misery, I started toying with the idea of returning the car to its original configuration:

https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/1337554189.htm/

a753b336a0dab9856e9a8b3177fe4709d1210691

https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/1362184097.htm/

3ff46262f685bfa8439108d4efe58de23706f011

And be fucking done with this shit once and for bloody all.