The Epic Austrian owned R16 from Germany doing French things in a Parallel Universe near England Saga

Junkman

• 3 weeks later...

A car saves fuel if the cardboard label of a fuel saving snake oil bottle is placed on top of the fuel outlet at the bottom of the fuel tank.

Hence it had to be removed to unobstuct fuel flow and thus help to improve® The Climate.

44593261561_4e80b04be8_b.jpg

Due to being too much of a coward to take a carby apart for which not even a gasket set is available, I reverted to carby cleaner spray.

This improved things to such a degree, that I decided to give snake oil a chance after all and poured the content of a bottle of fuel system cleaner into the tank.

Mind you, it's just a cleaner. There are no claims of fuel saving, power boosting and all that sort of rot.

I meanwhile drove to Chodmolestly and back and ran some errands, one of which to obtain more snake oil, and the car is in fact running better.

Another positive side effect is that the fuel gauge started to work.

All hail the snake oil!

• 2 weeks later...

Right. Time to address the running issues encountered on the recent trip to that France.

Carby is surprisingly clean inside:

30907784238_a5d343339d_b.jpg

Shite workbench:

44059578934_aa9a38bc81_b.jpg

Something isn't right:

44778944951_a6880ab2cf_b.jpg

Since absolutely fuck all is available for those Solexes, the ever so resourceful Conrad came to the rescue:

29842206367_b4e6f320c0_b.jpg

44059563164_d727fc9740_b.jpg

30907755928_4611344d6a_b.jpg

It's back together now and although a lot better, it's still not perfect. The carby reacts very little to adjustments and it's hunting a bit on tickover.

I will heed the advice of many a man in the know, deep six the Solex and put a Weber on.

Also, maybe the exhaust should be fixed properly before proceeding, if not for my neighbours.

OK, I managed to reconnect the pipes and it turns out it's indeed blowing from the manifold joint now.

I NEED HELP!

PLEASE!

Take carb off, separate upper and lower bits and rub both mating surfaces on a sheet of 600 grit on a pane of glass. Solexes are known for warped carb bodies, Mark 2 Granadas were notorious for it. Also clean the idle jet to within an inch of its life as well as the idle circuit bore and fit a really good fuel filter.

Take carb off, separate upper and lower bits and rub both mating surfaces on a sheet of 600 dirt on a pane of glass. Solexes are known for warped carb bodies, Mark 2 Granadas were notorious for it. Also clean the idle jet to within an inch of its life as well as the idle circuit bore and fit a really good fuel filter.

I'm going to separate the fuck.

Which part of you cannot get the square root of sod all for that carby is so difficult to understand?

I also blatantly refuse to fit any fuel filter at all to any of my cars, because they cause more grieving shit than anything.

They look very similar to 2CV exhaust clamps.  Might be worth a chat with Uncle Roy at ECAS.

https://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk/-c-13_95.html?WSid=5fe474192defe053eaa4d3b43ad826f5

yeah but not cool because shitron and Renna :)

I was going to suggest angle grinder to cut heads off bolts welded into original fixing and then fit new nuts n bolts or 45cm of threaded rod should do it*

Might need to cut holes in body for threaded rod to poke through etc

On 2cvs normal clamps are shit. You can buy fantastic cast clamps from Burton 2cv in The Netherlands. They are a tenner each but worth every penny (and reusable if you need to take them off at any point).

Aha - ECAS sell them too:

https://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk/clamp-exhaust-47mm-burton-high-quality-cast-steel-crossbox-interpipe-2cv6-only-p-1487.html

With that cast clamp (and you must re-use it as it is the correct one), is one hole bigger than the other? Compare the two halves to see if one side is bigger. The bigger side is the one which must go on the manifold, otherwise you risk cracking the manifold. Also clean the grooves of the clamp and fill them with Fire Putty (not Gun Gum). Tighten the nuts evenly, but don't overtighten. Run the engine at a slow tickover until the putty sets, don't rev it or you will blow the putty out. Hopefully this will ensure a lasting gas-tight joint.

Can you not just replace those bolts in the clamp?

No.

On 2cvs normal clamps are shit.

Yes.

Any help? Not the cast type, but less than a quid, and in Stockport, near Screwfix.

https://www.clampcouk.co.uk/exhaust/french-two-piece-exhaust-manifold-clamps.html

Good.

With that cast clamp (and you must re-use it as it is the correct one), is one hole bigger than the other?

No.

fill them with Fire Putty (not Gun Gum).

What???

I'm going to separate the fuck.

Which part of you cannot get the square root of sod all for that carby is so difficult to understand?

I also blatantly refuse to fit any fuel filter at all to any of my cars, because they cause more grieving shit than anything.

You don't need parts. That's the beauty. You're merely correcting distorted parts that are causing running problems. The Solex 4A1 DVG was a bastard for it. That twin choke piece of shit that Ford fitted to the Cologne boat anchor powered Granadas were equally poor. You can fix this for free.

But if you don't want to.......