The Epic Austrian owned R16 from Germany doing French things in a Parallel Universe near England Saga

Junkman

40264882942_0054da2119_b.jpg

Since this car doesn't ever do anything interesting, like need two new fuel tanks and three new fuel pumps, all we can do is drive it into the country. So that's what we've done, a bunch of times. Here are some photographs of nothing in particular.

25439115597_ec20c4353d_b.jpg

Local country-knower Cleon Fonte in the passenger seat here. He knows some fabulous routes through the area, the kind of route you can only learn by driving it. Let's do more of that!

26437986628_d5d51dd2d3_b.jpg

Then again, maybe not. We wondered what this sign considered 'unsuitable', but decided not to be silly. After all, we're not totally sheltered urban idiots. We're quite familiar with the countryside really.

38500708260_b429748a3f_b.jpg

What the fuck are these?!? 

39598516034_3efb7c25b6_b.jpg

We had to fight our way out of suburban Manchester, where the roads were as clogged as my arteries. Yet here we were hardly any distance away and feeling like the only people in the world.

39598515844_e0cea94b59_b.jpg

But you're never really disconnected from the modern world, thanks to communications hotspots like this. 

26437985788_052917185b_b.jpg

There aren't even parking restrictions! Wow. 

25439045827_d88e2e3462_b.jpg

Slow down, you move too fast. Now you've made your Yaris crashed. 

39412694495_abe271b877_b.jpg

We ended up racing a Volvo towards Leek, an antiques megatropolis. Unfortunately he beat us there and got first pick of all the best racist figurines and chairs too delicate to sit on.  

26437986488_89c0dbf705_b.jpg

Being back in the town isn't all bad, we got to watch this beautiful big-fin Farina try to reverse blind onto a very busy A road with no reversing lights. He may still be there now.

• 1 month later...

Frogchod was kind enough to get me a replacement indicator lens from an auto jumble in .fr - for a whopping EUR 2.00.

msg-18019-0-85065100-1522678444.jpg

Yep, that's two Euros.

Would this have been an English autojumble, I'd have had to wade through six inches of mud in the pouring rain, pass rat infested outbuildings full of rubbish, give countless country bumpkins a wide berth and not buy the lens because some deranged diddledoddler thinks it's worth 29 Quid and wouldn't budge on price.

So so many thanks again, m8!

In further news, I decided to improve the headlightage.

Well, I could just replace the bulbs with white ones and be done with it, but oh no, no, no, no, no.

I thus decided to install these:

s-l1600.jpg

100/80W of pure, unadulterated yellow halogen illegality.

Since Summer is close*, I will have to do something against those bulbs heating the headlight switch with

360 Watts because of potential heat stroke imminence.

I hence ordered a Chinese headlight relay kit from that Chinese China.

s-l1600.jpg

Will Chinese electrickery improve French electrickery, or not?

I think we are in for a lustrous (pun unavoidable) race to the bottom here.

French cars HAD yellow headlights, they are legal here, but 100/80W bulbs are legal nowhere.

Reason for yellow:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_yellow

From personal experience:

As long as you are on your own in the pitch black dark night, they give more than sufficient lighting

and they are VASTLY superior to white light in the straining your eyes and resulting fatigue department.

Their effect is however nixed, if only one oncoming car has white headlights.

I bet in a country where all cars had them, driving by night was a lot less stressful.

Well, it actually was, I drove there a lot.

I wonder whether statistics exist of French drivers' vs. white light drivers' eye healthiness during that period.

French cars HAD yellow headlights, they are legal here, but 100/80W bulbs are legal nowhere.

Reason for yellow:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_yellow

From personal experience:

As long as you are on your own in the pitch black dark night, they give more than sufficient lighting

and they are VASTLY superior to white light in the straining your eyes and resulting fatigue department.

Their effect is however nixed, if only one oncoming car has white headlights.

I bet in a country where all cars had them, driving by night was a lot less stressful.

I wonder whether statistics exist of French drivers' vs. white light drivers' eye healthiness during that period.

Interesting. I never knew that.

It makes sense though once someone points it out! Those stupid white or blue headlights people are using now are horrendous if your on the wrong end of them but the yellow is much easier on the eye.

I find I get headaches driving for long periods at night, it’s the piercing bright lights oncoming that do it.

Interesting. I never knew that.

Since nobody really wants to believe the actual scientific background based on research done in the 1920s,

better stick to the ineradicable urban legend that they were introduced by the Germans after the occupation

to be able to distinguish French from German owned cars by night, which would have been very important,

since so many privately owned cars were driven around during WWII.

Also, the fact that selective yellow lights were passed into legislation on 03-11-1936 by a gleefully sovereign

French government, must be ignored in this context.

Yellow lights are total shit, made for blind people driving among blinds. I lived in a colony country where yellow headlights were mandatory and happily bribed paid the fine to the flics, rather than taking out my bright white, ilegally imported, bulbs that actually light up the road. If proper white light strains you, then get some 3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine sleep.

Yellow lights are total shit, made for blind people driving among blinds. I lived in a colony country where yellow headlights were mandatory and happily bribed paid the fine to the flics, rather than taking out my bright white, ilegally imported, bulbs that actually light up the road. If proper white light strains you, then get some 3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine sleep.

Yeah, in the colonies.

It’s not so much white light it’s those piercing bright modern ones. Blackness at night with a pair of mega bright bluish white spotlights shining straight at you can’t be good for your eyes.

I notice it worst if I’m on standby, get called out at night when you’ve just been asleep then have to drive out wherever to do a job.

Mind you, I’ve not had my eyes tested for yonks either.

And to all those white light apologists:

Looking cool is much more important that all that daft safety bollox.

That, we can agree upon.

For proper french cars (504 or Tagora to name a few) with H4 bulbs, Mr. Philips makes everybody happy.

photo-c90c3001-6884-49f2-a52f-6fa5cddea4

Iluminates road in bright white, oncoming traffic sees yellow. Have it on all french cars, works brilliant!

Also available in blue, green  and pink!

photo-8359e1df-0a2c-4661-9af8-0a7c4bf1bb

You need a pair of yellow driving glasses, seriously.

They don't make the night yellow, in fact, they don't alter colours at all.

But you can look straight into oncoming traffic without being dazzled.

I might have to invest in a pair.

Oncoming modern headlights are a complete bollocks at night.

Thankfully the lenses on my w203 are very cloudy helping me do my bit

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk