Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Epic Austrian owned R16 from Germany doing French things in England Saga

• Please log in to reply
889 replies to this topic

#871 OFFLINE   dean36014

dean36014

• Full Members
  • 945 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationCoventry

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:19 PM

attachicon.gif20170309-03.jpg

If you've got one of these types of cigar lighters, then it's probably the issue.  There's an inner and outer casing with a moulded-in screw thread so as you tighten it up it both earths and clamps itself to the trim panel. When they come unscrewed, they don't earth reliably and then start causing weird issues.  Mine started with occasional loss of power at the lighter and developed into disco party lights when trying to indicate or brake and eventually loss of electricity when the car was left to its own devices.

I don't know how better to describe it.

Wonder if this is the case of the mystery drain on my daily BX. It seems to have a lighter like this which is temperamental to use. I might rip it out and replace it and see if this cures it. i=It needs a new one anyway.

1987 Citroen BX 17RD

1991 Citroen BX TGD

1992 Citroen BX TZD estate

2004 Citroen Xsara Enterprise

#872 ONLINE   Junkman

Junkman

Totally and properly Renault R16!

• Full Members
  • 38,943 posts
  • 33 thanks
  • LocationStockport, England

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:46 PM

attachicon.gif51YqRKFAQdL._SX856_1.jpg
https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B00O1Q2HOQ

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2017101...

Wow, that looks black magic alright.
Can you bring it over real quick, please?
  • Eddie Honda likes this

1967 Renault 16 TL............................................now with floor and MoT

1971 Mercedes 280SE............................................................fucked

1979 Mobylette AV89............................................................running
1997 Peugeot 405 2.0 Executive Estate.................now with aircon and brakes

#873 ONLINE   Junkman

Junkman

• Full Members
  • 38,943 posts
  • 33 thanks

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:48 PM

attachicon.gif20170309-03.jpg

If you've got one of these types of cigar lighters, then it's probably the issue.  There's an inner and outer casing with a moulded-in screw thread so as you tighten it up it both earths and clamps itself to the trim panel. When they come unscrewed, they don't earth reliably and then start causing weird issues.  Mine started with occasional loss of power at the lighter and developed into disco party lights when trying to indicate or brake and eventually loss of electricity when the car was left to its own devices.

I don't know how better to describe it.

That'll be the last thing I check, though, since it's a dashboard out job including disconnecting the Phamous Phlap cable.

1967 Renault 16 TL............................................now with floor and MoT

1971 Mercedes 280SE............................................................fucked

1979 Mobylette AV89............................................................running
1997 Peugeot 405 2.0 Executive Estate.................now with aircon and brakes

#874 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 13,240 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:36 PM

Same.  But I'm pretty good at removing and refitting Princess dashboards now.  I reckon I could compete at an Olympic level in fact.

• chaseracer and Junkman like this

#875 ONLINE   Junkman

Junkman

• Full Members
  • 38,943 posts
  • 33 thanks

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:48 PM

I replaced the battery. It's not a Parisian one.

#876 ONLINE   Junkman

Junkman

• Full Members
  • 38,943 posts
  • 33 thanks

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:32 PM

See.

25028482168_aa5d3b829e_b.jpg

#877 ONLINE   Junkman

Junkman

• Full Members
  • 38,943 posts
  • 33 thanks

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:34 AM

Turns out it was the battery and nowt else. Five days in and there haven't been any more issues.

To the contrary, the volt meter is now occasionally in the green, something that has never happened before

and the fuel gauge suddenly works.

• chaseracer, vulgalour, pshome and 8 others like this

#878 OFFLINE   Squire_Dawson

Squire_Dawson

• Full Members
  • 1,615 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:18 PM

That is most vexing. All those symptoms suggesting something else. Perhaps the knackered battery confused the charging system? Anyway, glad it turned out to be a simple cause.

• Junkman likes this

Squeak, rattle and roll.

Thanks restorer.

SAVE OUR PANGOLINS.

Current shite:

1952 Morris Oxford Series MO - The Oikmobile

1959 Morris Oxford Series IV Traveller - The Shite Station Wagon

1975 Austin Allegro 1100 DL - m'Lod

#879 OFFLINE   Pillock

Pillock

It's true.

• Full Members
  • 14,637 posts
  • 38 thanks
  • LocationMassive Wang.

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:27 PM

Volts don't start a car, raisins do. Or currents.

You can have a battery showing 13v, 14.4v, whatever, but if the capacity has all fallen out it won't crank. Try starting a car off 8 AA batteries and see where you get, cos that's also 12V.
  • chaseracer, Skizzer, Rusty_Rocket and 2 others like this

#880 ONLINE   Junkman

Junkman

• Full Members
  • 38,943 posts
  • 33 thanks

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:28 PM

This is all beknownst to me. I do know the difference between voltage, current and power, believe it, or not.

But that gauge in the R16 dashboard, that was in the red since the car was picked up (see curlection section) is a V-O-L-T-M-E-T-E-R,

the reason for which only a few dead Frenchmen know. Note: I didn't put it there, they did! I would have put an ammeter there, like any

normal person.

However, after changing the battery, it went into the green for the first time since I have the car. This indicates two things:

- that the old battery was dying a slow death since June.

- that there is sod all wrong with the charging system.

• Squirrel2 likes this

#881 OFFLINE   Eddie Honda

Eddie Honda

• Full Members
  • 3,512 posts
  • 24 thanks

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:10 AM

However, after changing the battery, it went into the green for the first time since I have the car. This indicates two things:

- that the old battery was dying a slow death since June.

- that there is sod all wrong with the charging system.

Or it has co-incidentally been over a bump and started working for a change.

Or has secretly been worked on in your absence by French electrical elves (that weren't on strike).

#882 ONLINE   Junkman

Junkman

• Full Members
  • 38,943 posts
  • 33 thanks

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:45 AM

A bump is something you experience in newfangled tosh.

There is no such thing as bumps in the parallel R16 universe, so it must have been not unionised French elves.

• Eddie Honda likes this

#883 OFFLINE   PhilA

PhilA

• Full Members
  • 1,274 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationLarose, Louisiana

Posted 14 December 2017 - 02:33 AM

Renault kept up tradition and my GTA has a voltmeter also. I would have preferred an oil pressure gauge.

Phil
I'm a Byte Wizard. I've been told so.
131372.png

#884 ONLINE   Conrad D. Conelrad

Conrad D. Conelrad

• Full Members
  • 6,380 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • Locationgtr mcr

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:11 AM

You can't beat an ammeter and a dynamo/weedy alternator. Like your own little landslide election swingometer. 

• Junkman and Squire_Dawson like this

#885 OFFLINE   chaseracer

chaseracer

Autoshite HR & Refereeing Solutions Ltd.

• Staff
  • 9,998 posts
  • 29 thanks
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:22 AM

Or it has co-incidentally been over a bump and started working for a change.

Or has secretly been worked on in your absence by French electrical elves (that weren't on strike).

A bump is something you experience in newfangled tosh.

There is no such thing as bumps in the parallel R16 universe, so it must have been not unionised French elves.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!

But not old Frog chod, clearly...  :D

• Junkman likes this

2009 Cannondale Quick CX - pushy
2003 Citroen Berlingo 2.0HDi - daily
1995 Peugeot 205 Inca 1.7D - shiny (relatively...) 
1982 Citroen Dyane 6 - winter rebuildy

AS Midland Massiv - in chod we rust...

#886 ONLINE   Junkman

Junkman

• Full Members
  • 38,943 posts
  • 33 thanks

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:44 AM

Renault kept up tradition and my GTA has a voltmeter also. I would have preferred an oil pressure gauge.

Phil

Nah, oil pressure gauges only cause anxiety.

• Squire_Dawson and BenHar like this

#887 OFFLINE   PhilA

PhilA

• Full Members
  • 1,274 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:38 PM

The warning light sometimes doesn't come on though. I find worrying about that creates more tension than knowing a gauge might go to zero at any time.

Phil
131372.png

#888 ONLINE   Junkman

Junkman

• Full Members
  • 38,943 posts
  • 33 thanks

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:08 PM

You have obviously never watched a P6 V8 OPG in heavy traffic, including light come onnage.

I'm too old for that kinda shit.

#889 OFFLINE   PhilA

PhilA

• Full Members
  • 1,274 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:28 PM

Been there, done that. Oddly mine (well, the engine was from a P6B) never hit 0 in hot stationary traffic, even with the low idle from the automatic gears in Drive. Oil cooler helped.

Then again, if the gauge hit zero on the Renault it would likely launch a conrod into orbit, whereas gentle application of loud pedal in the P6 would cause the needle to come off zero and continue to operate happily.

Phil
  • Junkman likes this
131372.png

#890 ONLINE   Junkman

Junkman

• Full Members
  • 38,943 posts
  • 33 thanks

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:51 PM

Then again, if the gauge hit zero on the Renault it would likely launch a conrod into orbit, whereas gentle application of loud pedal in the P6 would cause

the needle to come off zero and the temp gauge going into the red.

EFA

• PhilA and Conrad D. Conelrad like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users