The Epic Austrian owned R16 from Germany doing French things in a Parallel Universe near England Saga

Junkman

That utterly original one also has an obviously factory fitted colour keyed carpet in the front,

whereas in the rear it has a colour keyed rubber mat. How does this compare to yours?

I cannot remember ever having seen this combo, as far as I remember the Junkfather's

of the era had wall to wall carpeting, but it was a TX.

That utterly original one also has an obviously factory fitted colour keyed carpet in the front,

whereas in the rear it has a colour keyed rubber mat. How does this compare to yours?

I cannot remember ever having seen this combo, as far as I remember the Junkfather's

of the era had wall to wall carpeting, but it was a TX.

Mine - also very original inside (bar an 80s Panasonic stereo) - is the same. You can more or less make out both in the photo above. (It also benefits from some nice beige Axminster carpet samples in the front, for added luxury. These are not factory.)

So the parents were resting their weary feet on lush carpet, while being able to hose out the kiddies' puke in the back?

Not too unsmart.

I know similar thinking only from old septic station wagons, which sometimes have velours seats up front and vinyl out back.

The Hotchkiss used to be the other way round with rubber mats and vinyl up front with carpet and fabric seats in the back.

attachicon.giftmp-cam-1281980192.jpg

I hadn't realised how far forwards the front wheels are on these

Mid-engined, innit. Yet another R16 quirk: the block is mounted north-south aft of the front ‘axle’; the gearbox hangs off the front of it with the drive shafts sticking out of the gearbox sides.

Mid-engined, innit. Yet another R16 quirk: the block is mounted north-south aft of the front ‘axle’; the gearbox hangs off the front of it with the drive shafts sticking out of the gearbox sides.

Yep, I've often wondered just how long and hard they must've studied the two big Cits from the thirties and fifties, the similarities don't end there. The 16 really is one of those cars, like the quatrelle, which is just so right to drive.

The easy road manners would be a revelation for owners of some modern stuff with quarter of a ton cantilevered over the front axle.

Yep, I've often wondered just how long and hard they must've studied the two big Cits from the thirties and fifties, the similarities don't end there. The 16 really is one of those cars, like the quatrelle, which is just so right to drive.

The easy road manners would be a revelation for owners of some modern stuff with quarter of a ton cantilevered over the front axle.

Yes, but the 16 shares its mechanical and suspension layout with the 4, albeit scaled up, and forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the early R4 engine/transaxle based on that used in the 4CV from an earlier era? Typical conservative or cash-strapped engineering design - use something that they know works?

Squirrel2

Yes, but the 16 shares its mechanical and suspension layout with the 4, albeit scaled up, and forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the early R4 engine/transaxle based on that used in the 4CV from an earlier era? Typical conservative or cash-strapped engineering design - use something that they know works?

Squirrel2

That's more like what actually happened.

To do the R4, they cut and pasted the rear engine of the 4CV to the front. To do the R16, they made a 4/3rd copy of the R4's plan view drawing.

However, they built a brand new factory for it and hence fundamentally changed the assembly process to suit the new facility.

Instead of bolting a body to a platform chassis, as with the R4, the R16 is a fully welded monocoque. That in itself wasn't new in 1965, at least

not on this side of the Atlantic, but the R16 took it a step further. The entire sides, i.e. a, b and c pillars, sills and roof beams are one huge stamping

which is welded to the floor unit, then topped with the roof stamping. The stainless strips running along the roof 'fins' clad the resulting welding seams.

This method was devised by Charbonneaux and is explained at length in the book about him.

It took Citroen until the BX and Peugeot until the 405 to copy this.

This is the only acceptable doorbell. 

QMKlyCe.jpg

It does 'ding dong'. 

Friedland is one of the camps in Germany where illegal immigrants are - erm - concentrated.

That door bell indeed looks like it came straight from there.