The Epic Austrian owned R16 from Germany doing French things in a Parallel Universe near England Saga

Junkman

I'm usually very careful with such things, but I'd say it's the best original UK spec example in the UK.

There is an original ex UK TX in Ireland (Republic of) that could be marginally better, but it's really between those two cars.

Until someone shows me a better one that is.

I mean, any R16 in the UK that has never been welded is nothing short of a sensation.

The story of this example is that it was bought new by a Stockportian bank manager, who kept it in a heated garage (no shit!).

After he became a good banker, his wife - who couldn't drive - hired a chauffeur to drive her around and continued to keep

the car in the heated garage. She then sold it to a Renault collector in Oldham, who allegedly owns an R30 TX auto in similar

condition, who sold it earlier this year to the gent who visited me today. This current owner now has the same problem with it

I had with Lyndon - he regrets every mile he adds to the sub 26,000 existing ones.

He was all over my car today, loves it to bits, because it can be hooned around Flic style without any regrets.

He was fascinated with the story how I got it and its more than patchy just being kept alive for half a century history

and we wonder which of the two cars actually has the shadier past.

So here we stood, envying each others cars. Imagine the hilarity of the situation.

He has a proven track record of some prime chod and I introduced him to Autoshite, which he will hopefully join.

The funniest bit however was when I showed him my headlights in action, which caused lots of ooohs and aaahs.

I told him, yeah, they look like everything life is really about, but as actual headlights, they are woefully shit.

To which he replied, they are woefully shit anyway, so what would you rather have - woefully shit, or cool woefully shit?

Wow, that is very, very, very nice. I didn't know you could get a 16 in that lovely shade of blue or with an interior that yellow. It is something that could only be a byproduct of the 70s.

There is another one on here in that colour scheme. Before I read the text I just assumed Skizzer had popped in for a cuppa.

The R16TX had a twin light setup with H1 55W halogen lamps in both main and dip. On main beam the dip beans stayed on - unlike the single-bulb headlamps - the illumination was much, much better than the TS/TL, from what I remember. The only downside was that that the lamp glass was always hot and baked salty winter road crud on making the lens opaque on a long journey. The joys of R16 motoring...

Squirrel2

FRO. They look fine only on French-registered vehicles.

I'd be more than happy to register my car in .fr if that makes yellow headlights passable in your opinion.

In fact, I'd be more than happy to not register my car at all.

It's those tyrants that 'govern' us that are the spoilsports, as always, and at least regarding my headlights,

I won't let them spoil my fun.

I'm usually very careful with such things, but I'd say it's the best original UK spec example in the UK.

There is an original ex UK TX in Ireland (Republic of) that could be marginally better, but it's really between those two cars.

Until someone shows me a better one that is.

Ah, that'll be this one then...

post-17915-0-08562800-1511102878_thumb.jpg

post-17915-0-06121300-1511102899_thumb.jpg

post-17915-0-62702400-1511102976_thumb.jpg

I prefer the blue one, in all honesty.

There is another one on here in that colour scheme. Before I read the text I just assumed Skizzer had popped in for a cuppa.

Indeed, but ‘twas not I. Mine is identical except the paint is worn, plus mine has optional head rests (very comfy) and original Boutique spotlamps (very 70s). It’s a P-reg, Feb 1976.

post-4091-0-20345700-1511110820_thumb.jpeg

post-4091-0-31884100-1511110944_thumb.jpeg

INCORRECT. French cars with white lamps look shit. Please hand in your AS membership card.

I may have spent far too much of my honeymoon in a cliff top Chateau near Rouen,looking out of the window at the streams of yellow lights alongside the Seine, than is entire.y healthy for a 21 year old newlywed .

Indeed, but ‘twas not I. Mine is identical except the paint is worn, plus mine has optional head rests (very comfy) and original Boutique spotlamps (very 70s). It’s a P-reg, Feb 1976.

attachicon.gifAC65813B-B378-44B3-88BA-6B178E310BBC.jpeg

attachicon.gifB46870E6-76CE-4C20-9BBC-937B6748F6CD.jpeg

Your interior colour is different.

The interior of the other blue one is indeed as yellow as in the photos.

But man, is your's nice.