The Epic Austrian owned R16 from Germany doing French things in a Parallel Universe near England Saga

Junkman

Finding parts for an R16 is difficult at the best of times. R16 ownership really is a parallel universe, like Skizzer once said so aptly.

Being a clean sheet design built in a brand new factory built just for that, none of the Renault parts bin bits apply. Add to this all the stuff they changed for the '68->, they literally redesigned the car, and you can imagine that when having a ->'68, you have to be grateful for anything you can get your hands on. Parts for other Renaults of the era are much easier to source.

Der Franzose is merely a branch of the French company CiPeRe anyway. There is the R16 Shop in Holland, which in many cases is even more expensive than Der Franzose. To my knowledge no other companies catering for them exist, so success is directly related to your truffle piggishness to find what you need and that means hoping sellers on Leboncoin will respond, which they don't.

Simply put, being a complete lunatic is absolutely essential for running an R16 as a daily, as many R16 owners not doing that will attest.

The Solex carbs were crap when these cars were current so fitting a Webber was always the first thing most people changed on them. When I had Renault 18's back in the late 80's I was always on the look out for Webber equipped cars in the breakers to swap. The only issue I had was finding air filter pipework as the Webbers would freeze up if you didn't run an air filter. It would be a pain on the motorway trying to make decent progress when the carb would ice up so you had to let it thaw out then set off again. The only thing worse than a Solex carb is a bloody Pierburg, we were swapping them for Webbers on Astra's at 2 years old due to wear.

Same as us ford fondlers back in the day binning VV carbs and fitting weber versions so our cars would work then.

Today we got it running pretty properly. Not totally perfectly, but the best I can do with my abilities.

Turns out the ignition was miles out as well.

So we took it on a test drive. It ran very well until it didn't. Upon arrival at home it ran like shit.

Distributor come loose?

Okay, we have a serious problem now and I don't know any further.

I finally found the timing mark on the flywheel. When I adjust the ignition according to the mark, the engine runs absolutely shit.

Hence I adjusted it so that the engine runs okay, but the car just doesn't maintain a proper tickover. It's hunting left right and centre

and every time I get it to tick over acceptably, after the next flick of the throttle it's all over the place again.

I got it running as good as I can, took it out on a road test and it drove terribly.

If you time it to the mark will it run properly by adjusting the carb?

Or try putting a bagette & soft cheese in the glove box.

when checking ingition: vacuum feed disconnected and hose closed? Mark maybe indicate top, correct setting is some degrees off, see engine maual

dancing ignition:  carb runs lean (or air leak) or points fucked (i shall not suggest the obvious to junkman: electronic ingition )

runs like shit: vacuum hose ok and connected?

No or not enough centrifugal advance: take distributor apart, clean and oil it..

i would start by setting carb a good deal richer and see if that makes a difference

when checking ingition: vacuum feed disconnected and hose closed? Mark maybe indicate top, correct setting is some degrees off, see engine maual

dancing ignition:  carb runs lean (or air leak) or points fucked (i shall not suggest the obvious to junkman: electronic ingition )

runs like shit: vacuum hose ok and connected?

No or not enough centrifugal advance: take distributor apart, clean and oil it..

i would start by setting carb a good deal richer and see if that makes a difference

So I have to rejet the carby.

Well, I actually wanted to drive the car again eventually.