The Epic Austrian owned R16 from Germany doing French things in a Parallel Universe near England Saga

Junkman

You're going to have fun reinstating that old car smell because first you've got to get rid of the new paint smell.  The latter can be assisted by leaving all the doors open on a warm day for a long time.  Good luck with that one.  The former can be achieved by leaving all the doors and windows closed and parking it in strong sunshine for several hours.  Good luck with that one too.

I've had great success reviving the proper smell of my various cars by parking them in full sunlight on those rare two or three days we get it.  Old sheets/curtains that have been stored in a shed seem to help pull out new solvent/paint smells and inject old mustiness, old books unfortunately seem not to.

Smells; the one thing restorers always forget to put back.

I keep a load of old BMC underfelts.   They smell like an old Gannex raincoat a tramp pissed on in a Routemaster in 1974.  While smoking a Capstan. 

I insert them under whatever cheap and nasty carpet has been inflicted on a "restored" car.    Sometimes you need to simulate years of leakiness by leaving a window open in the rain but eventually it gets there.

I honestly don't know what the fuck is wrong with this World.

After finally having received my V5C, Friday 11/08 I ordered a set of proper numberplates with 48h delivery.

As of today, the plates have not shown up, because Hermes.

After three attempts, the seller finally saw it fit to pass me the tracking number. Nothing else, mind.

The status - when entered on the Hermes website - is delayed, investigating.

You know what? I had enough of this computer shit.

I sent the seller a nasty email even for my demanding standards and opened a case with eBay.

In the meantime, I'm happliy hooning around with a set of plates courtesy of Conelrad, printed on paper and shrink wrapped.

Should any of her Majesty's myrmidons have an issue with that, I'm afraid he chose the wrong place and moment.

Because I'm well and truly fed up with that stupid bollox.

All the while I'm waiting for the still not arrived numberplates to arrive, plus expect the now ordered with a different supplier numberplates to not arrive either, I was watching some films.

i011214.jpg

i625391.jpg

i050173.jpg

i050176.jpg

i048703.jpg

i031034.jpg

i031045.jpg

i056023.jpg

i579832.jpg

i797209.jpg

i212584.jpg

i010380.jpg

i329178.jpg

i157748.jpg

i001025857.jpg

i133273.jpg

i975848.jpg

i079957.jpg

i751941.jpg

i118384.jpg

i415838.jpg

i415527.jpg

i077234.jpg

What I find really fascinating is how much smaller the small cars were that were dwarfed even by an R16

and how we were incrementally coaxed into accepting the humungously bloated rolling jabbas

we have today.

As of today, the plates have not shown up, because Hermes.

After three attempts, the seller finally saw it fit to pass me the tracking number. Nothing else, mind.

The status - when entered on the Hermes website - is delayed, investigating.

Hermes manage to deliver one package to me last week, not your plates mind. Every single other delivery this year has been a fiasco.

I dont buy from ebay if seller insists on myherpes to loose the package for them/me

Anyway, thanks to the interim plates fashioned by Mr Conelrad,

36543558752_af577928ae_b.jpg

a semi legal extended cruise through the Peak District took place this last weekend and the car didn't put a foot wrong.

This changed dramatically when we later decided to try out the visibility the headlights provide after dark. It culminated in one of them not working, of course (this is a French car after all).

Once coaxed into life by sophisticated contact wiggling, it was revealed that now the brightest light the car emitted was the single general OMGPANIKYO light they put in the dashboard to replace oil and temp gauges, which naturally caused much panic.

An immediate shut down and ad hoc health check ensued, not resulting in any untoward discoveries. Also, on restart, the light remained off, making the headlights being now the brightest light source of the car, but it turned out they weren't bright enough even for a well illuminated suburban street.

In fact, there was no noticeable difference between sidelights and dipped beam when viewed from inside the car. Even I had to conclude that yellow Bilux bulbs are shit, despite they were made before 1986.

Besides, only 50 yards after the restart, The Holy Light Of Impeding Grenadisation came back on, resulting in yet another hectic shut off and senseless actionism of much headless chickenness.

Since again nothing unusual revealed itself, it was decided to abort the mission and return as close to the Junkbase as the car will make it before it explodes. However, during the entire return trip, the light remained off and the car didn't display any signs of anything being wrong. It has now been concluded to relegate the light to the same Fake News department the Ammeter is in, thus ensuring that next time it's only taken seriously after the Seize's engine has seized.

The headlight issue has now been adressed, which was successful, at least to Autoshite standards.

Instead of not working at all, the driver's side light is now at least flickering and these

36667169746_8ffd330d77_b.jpg

have been replaced with their Halogen equivalents.

A nighttime test has hitherto not been carried out, though, but I expect it will now be merely shite, no longer shit..