The Epic Austrian owned R16 from Germany doing French things in a Parallel Universe near England Saga

Junkman

Doing any work on brakes that have been serviced less recently than yesterday lunchtime is always a pain in the arse, especially if they're French brakes.

Surely with the bleed nipple it's just a case of re-tapping the thread, without the need to pay a man in a boiler suit? All the threads on the BX's rear calipers were re-cut by me and I haven't died yet.

Doing any work on brakes that have been serviced less recently than yesterday lunchtime is always a pain in the arse, especially if they're French brakes.

Surely with the bleed nipple it's just a case of re-tapping the thread, without the need to pay a man in a boiler suit? All the threads on the BX's rear calipers were re-cut by me and I haven't died yet.

Do you have an M7 x 1mm thread cutter, m8?

Right. Where were we?

A lot of rather frustrating repair attempts later, I gave in and ordered a new brake caliper.

We couldn't extract the slug and every engineering company it was taken to looked at it as if it were a glowing piece of Plutonium.

In the end, I got this Fiat unit:

36517224423_1c2df694ef_b.jpg

It has the connectors in slightly different locations, but is otherwise the same.

Since the financial impact was by now severe enough, I decided to throw some more money down the drain

and bought some fresh brake fluid.

37330283975_ee1cbd22ba_b.jpg

Bleeding bleeding that bleeding thing was no fun at all, but I herewith declare the brakes fixed.

Well, apart from the handbrake that is, which still only bites on the last notch despite the adjuster is at its very end.

But at least the pedal doesn't give me that sinking feeling anymore.

May I also remind all those MoT apologist clowns, that it had passed a test with those shitty brakes,

but was written up for some stupid holes in the floorboards?

Sadly retapping the old caliper, which actually isn't old at all, wasn't successful after all. The thread was just too borked.

Luckily enough the Fiat caliper works with very little modification, in fact the only alteration necessary is shortening

the threaded bit of the brake flexi by hacksawing a bit off.

I wonder whether Fiat flexis could be used, but I don't know what the other end looks like.

In any case, this is a viable workaround which isn't mentioned on any related websites, or forii.

Note: It will only work on R16s with second generation front brakes, which it turned out mine oddly has despite it shouldn't

In any case, a road trip is planned for this weekend, so stay tuned for more hilarious French style escapades.

The brakes are still utterly shit, but don't tell anyone, especially in the shadow of that stupid no more MoT thread, which is just stupid.
I mean, honestly, I had to live to the age I am in to read that much concentrated horseshit.

Anyway.

So I woke up this morning, and my sleep coma was interrupted by Mr Conelrad.
We went on a mission. A mission to improve® The Climate.
This happened at an hour that would be made a capital offence if I were dictator.
We saddeled the R16 and set off to the heartland of the Northern Powerhouse.
There we collected Cleon Fonte, purveyor of fine shite and always impeccably attired.
We continued our tour in a Northwesterly direction that culminated on the Leeds ring road.
Now, I have seen a lot of pretentious things in my life, myself included, but I'd drop down dead,
if that fucking Leeds ring road wouldn't get the cake.
Now there is a fucking ring road, that outringroads the Mfucking25, the Mfucking60 and if there
were a ring road around Greater L.A. combined!
I swear to God, no matter where you're from, or who you are, you haven't seen such a ringroad
in your dismal shitty worthless lives!
It's the most fucking terrible ringroad of the fucking Universe.
It's the fucking most pretentious waste of tax money this World has ever seen.
If there were any aliens or fucking lizard people, they'd say, you know what, there is this fucking
ringroad around half of Leeds, you can't fucking miss it, let's land our UFOs right on it.
This is a Ring Road to serve a fucking Metropole, for chrissakes, but it merely serves Leeds.

It's shit.

And the signposting is even worse. It's British. The most dismal signposting the World has ever seen.
Just travel.

So off this ringroad, mind, I had to travel the fucking World to encounter such a goddamn wanked on ringroad,

I found myself in a back alley. They say it's in Leeds, I say it's in the middle of where you don't want to be..

And there were people you'd run away from if it were nighttime.

37225367036_a22516bd0b_b.jpg

Fucking run!

Also note the woeful piece of German tat in the background, more of which later.

Mind you, this was in midst of an 'affluent' area, thus the only infrastructure within half a mile is one of those newfangled petrol station complexes,
that sell you food devoid of a single vitamin for 2 Quid something and charge you for the fucking air you breathe.

Hence there is a permaqueue of MILFS, you know the kind, driving Jokes and wearing those stupid cardigans that are longer up front than out back.

Because sexy. My poor Dillywong falls off in slices.

Anyway, the rear wheels of said chod were seized solid, in fact those Juveniles undid the lug bolts while the shite was jacked up at the rear.
So my call of duty was to get them fucking rear calipers off despite everything was a single crusty mess. It might have passed a fucking MoT though

for all you peace of mind for a year deranged triple pyramid freemasons apologists.

Needless to say, that I succeeded, of course, and thus said chod was rolled out into daylight for the first time since humankind can remember,
if you count them fucking Pharaoes in.

37414726205_9f62e3cdc0_b.jpg

37414723115_99964d0195_b.jpg

I used to drive the Leeds Ring Road service 8/9, and it is an utter fucking joke, Leeds road planning depts over the decades are the most clueless fucking idiots in the world

Oh Jeezerz fuck, you're beating a dead horse here.

I haven't seen anything this stupid in all my fucking life and I've been around.

To add icing on the cake I was assaulted in Old Farnley by some twat spraying silly string in my face as I crept in traffic with an overheating Scania bus, if it wasn't for the SJA nearby, I could have ended up with damaged eyes as that stuff burns like fook

So anyway, here we were, rear calipers off and all that sort of rot.

Next thing was to get it running.

Well, there was this carburetter:

37272192581_9e25784747_b.jpg

Even the bloody butterflies were seized.

I had no idea there is that much Oxygen left in the Atomsphere for Aluminium to corrode that badly.

This climate leaves a lot to be desired, so I wonder why we should stop changing it???

Anyway, Mr Conelrad suggested it "will be fine inside".

I told him that I'm long enough around on this here dismal fucking Planet, that I can tell him with confidence,

that this is just the Rosegarden and it'll be mucho more fucked inside.

He didn't believe me, so I suggested a bet. You say it's less fucked inside, I say it's even more.

Needless to say I won.

37414727915_37bc0e5496_b.jpg

You don't fancy taking part in the annual (in the sense that it takes a year to complete) Autoshite Leeds Ring Road Rally then? The winner is the first one to complete a single lap without ending up in a completely different bit of the country because their lane led off in a completely different direction without warning; being caught at four separate sets of red traffic lights at one roundabout; or having a nervous breakdown because of the sheer confusion caused by the signposting (or lack thereof).