Black and silver plates

michael1703

What? Not even a 1929 Blower Bentley?

Nope, I really really dislike metal plates, its not the black and silver that puts me off, its them being metal, im a weirdo but i love how clean a set of fresh brand new white and yellow reflective plates look, its one of the things i always change soon after buying a new car because for such a minor detail it makes a huge difference. 

You're absolutely right of course - but I have this crippling aversion to people doing such blatantly illegal stuff unchallenged (even though it's really not harming anyone).

But it's legal in the context being discussed as it follows the historic tax rules, it's just what they had originally. To me it's no different than fitting different tyres.

Nope, I really really dislike metal plates, its not the black and silver that puts me off, its them being metal, im a weirdo but i love how clean a set of fresh brand new white and yellow reflective plates look, its one of the things i always change soon after buying a new car because for such a minor detail it makes a huge difference. 

Strange view.

post-3865-0-20305000-1496131941_thumb.jpg

Original dealer plates that have been on the car 64 years.

But it's legal in the context being discussed as it follows the historic tax rules, it's just what they had originally. To me it's no different than fitting different tyres.

Sorry I meant the twonks who are fitting them to newer than the Historic stuff - I followed a Black Defender yesterday J15 NNN (can't remember the letters) it had black and silver plates because the owner is a bellend.  

No objections from me to legal fitting of 'em - that's just changing fashions - I have a picture of my 56 Chevy from the 1970s with reflective white/yellow plates.

Sorry I meant the twonks who are fitting them to newer than the Historic stuff - I followed a Black Defender yesterday J15 NNN (can't remember the letters) it had black and silver plates because the owner is a bellend.  

No objections from me to legal fitting of 'em - that's just changing fashions - I have a picture of my 56 Chevy from the 1970s with reflective white/yellow plates.

I can understand that, but plenty more dangerous bell ends out there for the coppers to catch, not that they seem to bother with that either.

This is what annoys me - replacing probably original reflectives with anachronistic black ones just because you can.

Before:

16166176585_992343544c_c.jpg

1975 Saab 96 V4 by Adam Floyd, on Flickr

After:

34703898050_b579f7b90e_c.jpg

Yeah, that's improved* it

No pictures because I had passengers, but I was following a J reg Lamborghini Miura last Friday on the M25 .

The coolest thing about it was the rear number plate , it looked as if it should have been on the back of a Sprite Musketeer in about 1976, a cheap accessory shop aluminium square plate with raised letters. The sort that are attached with those little star washer things- my dad used to take them off scrap cars, prise the letters off then paint new ones on for trailers.

If Autoshite did million pound classic cars....

Oh, but some Australian states (maybe all states?) have wonderful plate options. There's dozens of different designs, colour options it's great! They'll even sell you Euro plates if you want them. 

They've got the right idea. 

My mate lives in Canberra, last year the ACT government invited suggestions for plate slogans and then let the public vote for them.   This was the shortlist:

NGUNNAWAL COUNTRY

AUSTRALIA’S MEETING PLACE

CANBERRA – AN ACTIVE CITY

CANBERRA – CITY OF DIVERSITY

CANBERRA – DRIVING THE NATION

CANBERRA – GREEN AND CLEAN

CANBERRA – BRILLIANT POSSIBILITIES

CANBERRA – FOR ALL SEASONS

CANBERRA – THE BUSH CAPITAL

CANBERRA – AUSTRALIA’S COOL CAPITAL

Obviously because I am a child I went for 'The Bush Capital'.

Number plates are a subject that fires up my slight* OCD, and seeing erea-incorrect plates just spoils things for me. Any kind of plastic number plate on a 1970's or earlier car looks plain wrong and says "I couldn't be arsed with the finishing touches". Even the black/silver metal plates on my mate's '74 CF make me twitch, although they are now legal to use.

Have a look at these things of beauty and see how it should be done;

DSC_0429_zpsw8j4prms.jpg

DSC_0384_zpseljigwew.jpg

DSC_0383_zpsboyjlwkg.jpg

DSC_0032_zpss0muuotr.jpg

DSC_0031_zpsbhh6vrdf.jpg

Older cars with period "upgrade" reflectives. Just like you saw in the background on The Sweeney or whatever.

DSC_0221_zpsv1xovuhx.jpg

DSC_0019_zpscebfufrp.jpg

This is what annoys me - replacing probably original reflectives with anachronistic black ones just because you can.

Before:

16166176585_992343544c_c.jpg

After:

34703898050_b579f7b90e_c.jpg

Yeah, that's improved* it

Sorry but both of those make me twitch. The black ones are marginally worse due to being added for cool* factor. If it were mine they'd be going over the nearest hedge for either pressed reflectives or ally ones with plastic letters.

I'll also raise the question of cars introduced in the sixties, which remained in production through to the later half of the 70's.  Surely if  black n' silver look 'right' on the late 60's car ..then the same style of plates look equally so on the very same model registered in 1975 ?

Interesting angle. What do we all think about this black plate-equipped Mini then, circa 1981? Black bumpers, grille and Austin Rover badge - about as non-Sixties as it gets.  And before anybody asks, black plates are restricted to pre-75 in Jersey (Guernsey - different matter - probably forgot to update their legislation)

post-132-0-07454900-1496780309_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-81698000-1496780586_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-06320900-1496780323_thumb.jpg

Those modern font black plates are gopping things. 

When I was helping a friend* move in to his council house, someone on a nearby street had a 1996 Impreza in green, with rally decals in yellow and black stamped plates. It looked shit. I have to wonder if it was 100% mongery or a ploy to try and fool ANPR...

Interesting angle. What do we all think about this black plate-equipped Mini then, circa 1981? Black bumpers, grille and Austin Rover badge - about as non-Sixties as it gets.  And before anybody asks, black plates are restricted to pre-75 in Jersey (Guernsey - different matter - probably forgot to update their legislation)

attachicon.gifhl1.JPG

attachicon.gifhl3.JPG

attachicon.gifhl2.JPG

A Mini on a registration plate of any kind that actually relates to the vehicle in question is sufficiently pleasing.   See also Series Land Rover.

• 1 year later...

Bit off topic but the Irish system is far worse. Pre 1987 registrations either had an i or z in them post-25454-0-28744800-1530710611_thumb.jpeg you could even get them in red. post-25454-0-47393000-1530710676_thumb.jpeg

37652720304_af2ecf9ffd_h.jpg1986 Volvo 343, Donegal by James C, on Flickr

But in 1987 it switched to the current completely different system. For example a the 100th car registered in Dublin in 1987 would be 87-D-100. This can look ok on some old cars (not this though) post-25454-0-58765800-1530712264_thumb.png

then to make matters worse Since 2011 numbers for imports start at a ridiculously high number post-25454-0-03367000-1530711811_thumb.jpeg make it go away.

• 3 weeks later...