Dr_ Bo11ox's Laguna Estate 2.0 165 TURBO £200

Mr_Bo11ox

The word "loss" is being used as if the car has covered 0 miles between purchase and sale! I think you've done mega well, this is about as close as you can get to free motoring with what I'd describe as quite a luxury car.

Great to see it stays in the fold too.

Picked up this last weekend, and so far so good!

I wasn't quite sure what to expect with this for the measly amount I paid for it! It's fired up each morning, and it's not decided it become a microwave oven overnight.

Gave it a valet, but could do with another, more thorough one, when the lads have time at work. But its cleaned up pretty well for now.

It drove perfectly back from Dr Bolleux's top secret shite hoard, even returning an average of 35mpg on the motorways back to Leeds. To be honest it drives far better than a £200 'Goona, that's stood for the last few months, has any right to do! Everything works, bar the aforementioned H/lamp washers and HRW, but will sort that come the MOT at the end of the month.

It's comfortable, reasonably rapid, and quite capacious (it was drafted in to move assorted kitchen white goods on the journey home). Using it for the last few days on the commute has seen the economy drop to around 30mpg, Which is tolerable, given the Honda Jizz it's replacing struggled to make 40mpg. My commute is a bitch of stop start traffic and a frenzied 70mph dash for one section.

It'll a bloody good looking estate, and the colour is lovely, sadly there is a lacquer issue on a wing and rear door, but I might see if some liberal polish action can improve it.

Internally, all the gadgets seem to work, has a half decent stereo, (with even some sort of prehistoric sat nav built in, if i can source a disk for it). The driving position is good, the half leather/alcantara is in good nick. Amazingly, for an elderly Renault, there are no creaks or rattles, not even from the boot area, which I've always found tends to me the case on wagons.

To drive, as Dr Bolleux stated in the advert, it's quite reassuringly whooshy, plenty of power and grip, although the wide tyres do seem to cause a bit of bump steer on odd road surfaces. The engine is a little coarse when extended, but not intrusive, and certainly doesn't feel like many of the 165 horses are nearly ready for the glue factory.

Having been used to the automatic gearbox in the Jag, and it's Volvo predecessor, this one is a little odd. It constantly feels like it's in sport mode, so will kick down on the slightest throttle opening (as I initially found out entering a wet roundabout), and you can feel it change down to provide engine braking when slowing. It almost feels like one of those early DSG 'manumatic' boxes. It also automatically puts itself in neutral if you're sat at lights or in traffic stationary with your foot on the brake. Which you can catch out if you have suddenly hesitated.

However, this isn't a fault, more that I need to adjust my driving style to suit the car.

Is it a keeper? That will depend on how it fairs on the MOT at the end of the month, But I do quite like it, and as Dr Bolleux mentioned, these seem to have a habit of getting under your skin!

If i remember ill remove my disc drive and post it to you, you can see if there's a disc in it if you want? Or I can smash it open and have a look?

Im glad you've called it prehistoric, makes me feel less bad for not trying to get mine working again and just leaving it all sacked off!

Well bought. That was a complete and utter bargain. Hopefully it should be fairly reliable now that most of the typical Laguna problems have been sorted (even though it could possibly find new and unusual ways to punish you, as it is a Laguna).

Slight tangent, but what has happened to the Rover 45 V6? We haven't had any updates about it for quite a while.