Dr_ Bo11ox's Laguna Estate 2.0 165 TURBO £200

Mr_Bo11ox

I'm trying to think of a reason to not have this off you and I'm struggling...

If anyone wants a redder Gooner with less turbos, less towbars, smoller boot, but moar mot and new tyres, it's theirs for the same price and I will have this one!

I bought this car for about 200, spent about 300 getting it on the road, drove it for 16,000 miles, during which time I probably spent another £250 (hunter wheel alignment, tyres etc) then I just sold it for 200, meaning I’ve actually ‘lost’ £550 on it although I have to offset that against the pretty big mileage I did in it obvs.  Works out at about 3.5p/mile, that’s just the ‘cost of ownership’ excluding petrol and tax and whatnot. Is that good or not? Doesn’t feel that amazing (I prefer a cost of £0) but I suppose you can do a lot worse. I guess if I had carried on using it that would have come down further as I don’t see it needing any big spends imminently.

I bought this car for about 200, spent about 300 getting it on the road, drove it for 16,000 miles, during which time I probably spent another £250 (hunter wheel alignment, tyres etc) then I just sold it for 200, meaning I’ve actually ‘lost’ £550 on it although I have to offset that against the pretty big mileage I did in it obvs.  Works out at about 3.5p/mile, that’s just the ‘cost of ownership’ excluding petrol and tax and whatnot. Is that good or not? Doesn’t feel that amazing (I prefer a cost of £0) but I suppose you can do a lot worse. I guess if I had carried on using it that would have come down further as I don’t see it needing any big spends imminently.

It's good.

Buy a modern new for £10k, it lasts 10 years / 100k, that's 10p/mile.

Only because you sold this for at least £300 too cheap! Even £500 would have been cheap imo.

I mean you paid £200 for it originally with no MOT and repairs required... You sold it working and with MOT for the same amount!

My Civic has lost around £1k p/a in depreciation (due to the miles I've done in it) and I find that acceptable. My parents A4 that they bought at 6 months old and currently owned for 7 years, has lost £3.4k in depreciation alone - admittedly they've done 158k miles in that time. It has also had 2 clutches, 2 wheel bearings, a DPF sensor, MAF and some bearing in the gearbox replaced - all out of warranty.

All cars, old and new, require maintenance at sometime. Costs involved with that between it being old and new isn't that great - just some marques have more expensive parts.

So yeah, I think you did pretty good for a modern.

Theres no way I could have realistically sold this profitably for 500. To even sell it as a proper ‘going concern’ I would have to sort out the MOT which I just do not have time to do and paying someone else to sort out Gooner electrical problems is a mugs game, even if they are problems that are fairly easily solved at home. Then when its up for sale, I would have to fend off people wanting to chop the price in half because they’ll want to send it to a garage to have the cambelt done. Or, I could do the belt myself which would cost nowt, but again I don’t have the time right now. Plus the car is up at my workshop which is a 1.5 hour drive from where I live now, so if I was to work on it, I’d need to get it brought down the house really on a transporter – fuck all that. For the amounts of money involved here, its just not worth the hassle.

For me, selling it ‘honestly’ as is on here, for £200 to someone I know isn’t going to give me all the usual SALE OF GOODS ACT shite that you get from armchair Quentin Wilson bell ends, is worth £500 on its own.

Despite ticking all the Sod That buttons (Renault/automatic/Laguna/'big' petrol engine), that was a great buy for someone.

£200 was extremely fair, you might have lost a few quid but you cannot value stuff like this and you made a decent car better along the way, plus had a good bit of use out of it.

To fix the heated rear window issue you could have just chopped the cable in the back window. Or for even less work, pop the fuse in for the MOT, then remove it after its got a fresh ticket and leave the next owner to fix. (Which reminds me, I ought to fix my headlight washers on my Laguna)

But fair enough if you want a quick sale and no hassle, so selling for a bargain price. I'm just sayin' that you could have reduced you losses you mentioned above if you really wanted/needed to.

Totally understand selling on here for no hassle. I've sold several cars on here for well under what I could have got privately. Mostly because the last time I tried selling a car privately to the general public, I had 2 no-shows on eBay auctions and countless time wasters on Gumtree - which totally put me off doing it again anytime soon. Where as on here, people rock up, I coerce them into a test drive to make sure they're 100% happy with it, they pay their monies and drive away happy! That in itself is totally worth more than the small loss selling.

Also you get to hear about how those vehicles settle into their new life!

Admittedly you’re quite right SiC. I guess it would not have cost me many pounds to get a ticket on it and do the cambelt, at which point it is a going concern and thus I probably would see it more like £500 worth. Which would wipe out half my ‘loss’ at a stroke. Hey ho! Its just the circumstances of other non-car stuff in my life that make that too much hassle just now. Shite livin’!

That was good going. My sodding Espace stands me at 20p/mile on the same basis, although that drops as the miles go on (he says optimistically). I'd say about 4p/mile is what I aim to achieve with a reliable motor over >12 months and 12k miles, doing basic things like oil changes and discs/pads myself but farming out the bigger stuff to the pros. Lower/less time than that and things like tyres and cambelt changes can distort things quite a bit if you time them wrong.

I wish you hadn't thought up this new way of working out cost per mile as I've worked out that the Shag is currently costing me 11.3p per mile, plus of course the difference between its MPG and that or any other vehicle barring a jet aircraft something.

I'd need to sell it for near £2k to break even which ain't gonna happen.

My daily costs 35p/mile but 18p of that is lost in payments, you did fine. 

My friend lost 50p/mile on his Nissan Leaf in depreciation alone... LOL

Can confirm.

The previous owner of my Leaf paid £26k list (let's be generous and say £20k real), sold for £8300 3 years and just 4000 miles later. A cool £3 per mile.

Holy guacamole, that’s an interesting slant on ‘eco motoring’, maybe he should have spent £500 on an old petrol Avensis and just given the other ~£12k to the RSPB or something to use on conservation projects

Indeed so....

Can confirm.

The previous owner of my Leaf paid £26k list (let's be generous and say £20k real), sold for £8300 3 years and just 4000 miles later. A cool £3 per mile.

our leaf was 26k, just coming to the end of our deal on it, two years and slightly less than 12k, our final value is something like 13.5k factor in our costs, deposit, payments, service/s and it's approx 45p per mile. Brand new cars kept short term are always going to cost you a few quid.

​Now in actual costs against our CRV it works out to cost £100 per month due to saving in fuel, tax, mot, cheaper to service etc (taking into consideration extra electric to charge it) Real terms it's about 24/25 PPM when you offset the saving / cost against our car, owned outright, we were running anyway.

it's all to be taken with a pinch of salt really, my clio, assuming I sell for £000 has so far cost 16PPM but i's saved me about £1000 in skips alone.

sometimes we just do it for the enjoyment and because we can, its always nice when something works out 'free' mind..  

You might have made another hundred or two Mr bollox but in the great scheme of things it's not a lot really and you saved on time and hassle. Sold to another shiter too so you won't get them ringing you a week later to complain. You sir are the essence of autoshite and why I like this place so much.