Dr_ Bo11ox's Laguna Estate 2.0 165 TURBO £200

Mr_Bo11ox

Alright gang, would anyone like to help me out by taking this off my hands, I am not using it and its just stitting around, I think I ought to move it on while its still got a bit of test on it really.

P1080218.jpg

P1080217.jpg

Good points: All up and running with no serious problems but it only has MOT till 11th July. Engine and box are excellent, does 35mpg and is quite quick. Auto gearbox is fantastic, really smooth with no noticeable 'slush' I think it locks up in pretty much all gears (i.e. doesn't drop the revs when you back off) and is a treat to use. All the usual Gooner issues are sorted: Window mechanisms, axle bushes, and does not have tyre pressure sensors so no probs there. 2 key cards. Bodywork is tidy but not mint, lacquer has gone a bit funny on one door top. Has got a towbar now so gr9 for a bit of A-framing. New rear tyres (Firestones all round no chinese liquorice hoops). I have added AUX in on the factory stereo. about 76,000 miles. No broken springs.

Bad points: Short MOT and will not pass as is because (get this) the HRW relay has stuck, meaning the HRW is on all the time. That flattens the battery of course, so I've taken the fuse out. But that fuse also controls the headlight washers and they need to work to pass the test due to having XENONZ. So it will need this relay locating and replacing (or just pulling out) to get the washers back. Other than that I think it would pass as everything else works great and I did a lot of work last year including new tyres, TRE's, axle bushes and whatnot. Rear wheels are slightly egged (like all 17" gooner wheels) but they don't vibrate and I don't worry about them. Needs a good clean/valet and polish. Aircon doesn't work - I spent a lot of time fannying about with this getting it degassed and regassed, new needle valve, dryer and pressure switch but its still not right as it clicks on and off all the time. I think the control valve in the pump itself is duff. I was gonna buy a secondhand pump and swap the valves over but its another degas/regas innit. Don't know when the cambelt was done, but I did by a new belt kit ,which is included but not installed!

Ive just got too many cars and this one is some way from the top of the priority list. I paid £190 for it last year and spent £300 on parts getting it through the test, after which I did 15,000 trouble free miles in it. Someone do us all a favour and give it another year on the road.

Call me on O78OO 9O2396 or PM me if interested. Car is in Nantwich, Cheshire and can be driven away. Cheers

The best colour too! It's only doing 3mpg less than my diesel one too... less chance of utter borkage too.

Would it blag an MOT by charging the shit out of the battery, then fitting it just before you drive to the test centre?

That looks mega smart! The amount of cheap nice looking cars here for sale recently is unbelievable, just as well I'm skint and most are really far away or I'd have taken up every space in the street with them all!

What spec is it anyway? Xenons suggest Dynamique but the wheels look like the ones off an Extreme.

You wouldn't need to charge the battery, its charging OK but flattened itself after 2-3 hours parked up.

So fully charge it, then from the time it's connected you have 2 hours to get a ticket! Or leave it running outside the test centre whilst you wait...

My HRW is broken I think, or it's not got cold enough for it to work. I think I've just got a shit battery (open the sunroof or play with the front seats with the engine off and it's a gamble if it will start...)

Either way, a bargain!

Just disconnect the HRW on the back screen. Anyone who buys this, I can tell you which relay is for the HRW.

R.e. gear lockup, it locks up in 3rd, 4th and 5th (not 1st and 2nd though). However this means you get excellent fuel economy out of it, as once it's changed gears, it locks up.

For anyone who doesn't know what a automatic gearbox lock up is, it's a clutch inside the torque converter. When it engages, it causes the output of the engine to be directly engaged with the input of the auto box. Thus you don't get any losses through the torque converter - which is the thing that causes auto boxes to use more fuel. When it's locked up, it's effectively like a manual transmission.

Oh and these auto boxes aren't the traditional frog boxes that Renault and PSA put in their normal stuff. That box can't handle the power.

This box is the AW55 that's in Volvo's, Saabs, Vauxhall's and others. Generally pretty solid things - just need to give the ATF flush through every 60k/5yrs to keep them in top form.

The auto box (5-spd) in these is a class act, I was all ‘meh’ about autos before I had this, but now I can’t see the point in a manual!!!! Also, it literally gets its dong out and wazzes right in the face of the auto box in my Rover 623, which although perfectly useable, is Fergie tractor technology by comparison. Soz Honda!

The auto box in mine is pretty sweet, much better than the one the XM had! Apart from it changing down when the caliper sticks a bit it's fine, I presume this has a manual mode too? That's handy when it won't change up due to speed/throttle position even though every other car I've owned has found 5th fine!

Must do the fluid in mine one day though

Can I ask, is this an F4RT lump?

Yes it is. Tbh if you're going for a Clio 172/182 engine swap, the methane 225 is a much better starting point. Bigger turbo, bigger injectors, more aggressive cam and tougher insides.

yes this thing is F4RT tastic, goes like the wind etc, but I would have to agree with SiC, as-is its less powerful than your 172 engine so not a great starting point for a transplant. You see later GT205 gooners coming up for 500 or so occasionally now, I'd suggest one of them

yes this thing is F4RT tastic, goes like the wind etc, but I would have to agree with SiC, as-is its less powerful than your 172 engine so not a great starting point for a transplant. You see later GT205 gooners coming up for 500 or so occasionally now, I'd suggest one of them

I was more thinking that the manifold would allow fitting of a choice of turbos- hence it may be worth advertising to Clio fanbois;)

This sounds a mega bargain for someone, typical gooner owner though trying to bail before the Mot runs out!  :-)

In all seriousness though at £200 with the Window Mechanisms, axle bushes sorted and the bonus of having two keys and no Tyre Sensors that worth £200 on it own as I can testify!