Recommendation for large estate car or similar

garethj

Current transport is a 1999 Volvo V70 diesel and it's possibly the perfect car.  It does 50mpg, doesn't go wrong and makes a good noise when you hoof it.  But after almost 2 years it's long overdue for a change.

The critical:

Must be able to transport 5 people, 2 adults, 2 teenage children and a 10 year old who is 140% elbows.

Must be reliable.  Not "You'll probably be alright", or "these are good as long as you've got a live-in mechanic with an OBDII instead of an index finger."  Service once a year and that's it.

Must cost less than £1800.  Spending more just makes me uncomfortable.

The important

30+mpg.  No LPG because we go and visit family in France and they don't like it on Le Shuttle.

Should be a bit interesting.  Just because.

I've been mulling over a Honda CRV, the 2002 to 2006 type.  Diesels can be a bit iffy but a petrol should be fine.

36_1.jpg

Mitsubishi Shogun Sport.  We had a Mitsubishi Galant about 10 years ago and it was a lovely drive, pretty reliable too.  The looks are a bit "did you spill my pint" and reviews say they are crude. But compared to what?

mitsi_2004_shogun_sport.jpg

Subaru.  Legacy?  Outback?

sublegacyoutback_750_500_70.jpg

The 2 litre ones are supposed to be a bit slow, dunno if there's a turbo option?  Is it possible to find one with less than 150,000 miles?

Something else?

My daily drive is a Subaru Legacy GTB, average MPG 25-27, 2 litre twin turbo with 260bhp auto. Manuals from 1997 onwards will be 280bhp. I had a 2000 Outback with the H6 engine, 3 ltr normally aspirated and it was powerful enough not to be boring. Also automatic, would have prefered a manual in a gen 3 tho as the box couldn't make up it's mind what gear it wanted when towing on the back roads. Average of 30mpg from that, 33 on a good run, 20ish towing. A ridiculous amount of space in it tho!

Sadly, American stuff is way over budget.  That one is 50% over budget already and the paint job is, errr, challenging.

The Reliant fails on almost all counts, but I hear that Princess Anne had one.

My commute is motorway where I trundle along at 60mph, whatever the factory mpg figure is I can usually better it.

Why get rid of the V70?

I don't really know

Nissan X-Trail,they come in 2.0ltr and 2.5 ltr form

I had a 2.0se 136bhp 4x4.For 6 years.30+ mpg.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Nissan/18238/i.html?_sop=7&Fuel=Petrol&_nkw=nissan%20x%20trail&_dcat=18238&rt=nc&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo&_udhi=1800

3 lanky children in the back of an X Trail is too snug unfortunately, I went to look at one a few months ago

Sadly, American stuff is way over budget.  That one is 50% over budget already and the paint job is, errr, challenging.

The Reliant fails on almost all counts, but I hear that Princess Anne had one.

My commute is motorway where I trundle along at 60mph, whatever the factory mpg figure is I can usually better it.

I could get 26mpg out of a Rover P6B (well, ok, once), but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't better 27mpg out of my 2-litre Legacy. Made a lovely noise though. Maybe that was why...

I'd say Citroen XM, but they're annoying skewed towards actually being a four-seater. Same with the Honda S-MX, which I'd obviously recommend, apart from the fact that mine is a four-seater. I think some were five-seat. There is the larger Stepwgn, but the name may drive you to murder.

You said yourself that the V70 is the perfect car, so why get rid? When my kids were young (as in before they had their own cars) I had a V70 T5 and it really was perfect!

There is a solution where he can change the car and keep it at the same time. Buy a newer V70. A 1999 diesel is the Audi engine. Go for a something like a 2004 D5, it will be slightly more perfect than what you already have.

Keep the V70. All the other cars mentioned are distinctly inferior, especially the CRV, which I found to have sod-all interior space.

Shogun Sport petrol drinks like a fish, is shit to drive and really noisy above 60mph. The diesel is the same but vibrates like a washing machine to boot. My mate Simon gets an average 22mpg out of his diesel (which he runs on 90% veg) and the petrol is worse.

Subaru is just gutless, and not as nice as the Volvo in any respect.

If you absolutely must change the car, a Mercedes E-Class (S211) could be got for £2k if you're prepared to go high-miles and 10+ years old. Go for a 56 plate onwards and you'll have the upgraded version and the 5-speed auto box (which doesn't have the problems of the 7-speed that replaced it)

I may be slightly biased but have you considered a sharan/galaxy/alhambra? Loads of passenger space and with the two rear seats removed you've got plenty of luggage space too. Comfy and a diesel will give you 40mpg+. Plenty about for your budget. I'm really pleased with mine and I always said I would never own an mpv.

Not a hearse, repeat not a hearse

very spacious ambulance, accommodating either two Washington stretchers or two coffins side by side

So a hearse then...

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Private-Ambulance-Not-Hearse-or-Limousine-/122510730799?hash=item1c8635662f:g:PBUAAOSwKytZI0Ll

Hmmm, I've had a few cars that haven't moved for years and they come with their own set of problems.  And it's not exactly easy to pop over for a look.

I could get 26mpg out of a Rover P6B (well, ok, once), but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't better 27mpg out of my 2-litre Legacy. Made a lovely noise though. Maybe that was why...

I'd say Citroen XM, but they're annoying skewed towards actually being a four-seater. Same with the Honda S-MX, which I'd obviously recommend, apart from the fact that mine is a four-seater. I think some were five-seat. There is the larger Stepwgn, but the name may drive you to murder.

This might be a silly question, but is the 2.5 engine less thirsty than the 2 litre?

Game over

vx_05220.jpg

Ewwwwww

There is a solution where he can change the car and keep it at the same time. Buy a newer V70. A 1999 diesel is the Audi engine. Go for a something like a 2004 D5, it will be slightly more perfect than what you already have.

Yeah, but no, but...  The later ones are more complicated and fixing Volvos can soon turn to an expensive business as I learned with an S80.

​give a crv diesel a chance, had mine 4 years and its great, every car has its faults.

Other than reliability questions (and I know that if you look on enough forums you'll always find someone who's had a problem) the diesel is farkin expensive.

Never mind the bollox...

Saab2-500x281.jpg

I've already owned one of those.  Taking the family to France would not be a pleasant experience.

Antarctic Snow Cruiser.

Those Shogun Sports are very "truck like", they are pretty much an L200 estate with coil springs instead of leafs, kind of charming in a shonky way though.

Yeah, but is that a bad thing?  I'm not going barrelling into a corner with a dab of oppo with it.

I may be slightly biased but have you considered a sharan/galaxy/alhambra? Loads of passenger space and with the two rear seats removed you've got plenty of luggage space too. Comfy and a diesel will give you 40mpg+. Plenty about for your budget. I'm really pleased with mine and I always said I would never own an mpv.

Like you, I always thought I don't want an MPV. 

Saab 9-3. Or if you need more space, the V70 competitor - Saab 9-5.

It's the answer to all such questions!

A bit small inside?  But I'll have a look and see how roomy they are inside.

I think Njgleeds has got diesel Citroen C5 estate that is up for sales shortly.

Beautiful thing and all the toys including electric tail gate etc.

If I hadnt got vel satis I would be ripping his arm off.

Ironically I was looking at Volvos to replace my CRV, but then I look at it and over 4.5 years it's been a bloody decent car. Never once had a FTP, will do 50mpg on a run if you're steady (60mph) our last trip to France last month we averaged 38 MPG on the way down but our average speed was 80+MPH, averaged 42 MPG coming back with average speed of 70MPH we get 30 mpg round town and despite what has been said the car is huge inside, you can fit a washer in the boot, standing up with the rear seats up! more than enough room for a six footer in the back.

it's easy to DIY service, oil / filter,

It does everything and more than I need out of a car. I'm fully in love with mine. until the fucker blows a turbo or something while I'm 800 miles from home in which case it's fucking terrible and all new cars are crap etc

Sometimes it's better the devil you know.