turn a towbar into anything

dieselnutjob

I think that this looks useful:-

unirak-320x248.JPG

http://www.wilmond.co.uk/bak-rak-en/uni-rak-universal-mount.html

it clamps to a 50mm ball and then you can add a tray for luggage, or some rails to make a bike rack.

The manufacturer suggests mounting a bench vice to it, which I suppose could be useful if you are fixing stuff in the street.

Do folks think that it will clamp well enough to support an extra suitcase for a family summer holiday?

the only towbar available for my car is a removable type; flange mount is not possible.

There is also this though

Swan%20to%20flange%205-320x248.jpg

http://www.wilmond.co.uk/bak-rak-en/clam-shell-swan-neck-to-flange-adaptor.html

That looks a useful bit of kit. I was thinking if something like this earlier when I spotted a camper with a bar mount bracket and a very large plastic box on it. The c2 doesn't like the top box on the roof and a trailer can take up a lot of room on holiday.

I didn't get a picture but I saw something like this on the back of maybe an Antara, it had a roofbox nailed to a big bit of MDF attached to it.

Not quite sure why though, as it didn't have anything on the roof. 

Anyway structurally it should be fine up to the max noseweight of the car / towbar, GR0.1 for reversing though if you can't see your load.

I have carried Grass track motor bikes and Electric Wheelchairs on home made similar brackets.

It's the nose weight on the ball that's the problem. Unless you have a 4x4 its likely you will exceed manufacturers recommended nose weight.

Both car and towbar.

Thus no insurance.

In the old days no one cared and everyone had a speedway bike on the back.

I've just bumped into a parked Discovery with one of these bastards sticking off the towbar, its punched a hole in my 20-odd yr old front numberplate :mad:

Need pictures!

I did almost the exact same thing to my Hyundai, thankfully it was a metal number plate so a bit of hammer tweaking later and it was good as new.