Range Rovers.

Barry Cade

Guest Lord Sward

@barmatt; don't rule out the TD5.  They sound great and are surprisingly smooth.  The scare stories about the electrics are just that provided you avoid ACE as did (but do go for airsprings).

@barmatt; don't rule out the TD5.  They sound great and are surprisingly smooth.  The scare stories about the electrics are just that provided you avoid ACE as did (but do go for airsprings).

I think a td5 is a serious contender, a mate has a really low mileage one on an '03 plate, I'll see if I can borrow it for a bit to try it out.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lord Sward

I towed a 1700++ kg caravan from Bristol to Newcastle the other week with my TD5, loaded to the gunnels, air-con running at full tilt.  Just over 29mpg.  Stunning.

Always avoided LR products over the years, fancied one every so often, but never came about - still would for myself, but recently bought daughter a Lexus RX300, 2001 reg - so well built it's untrue - read a couple of reviews saying they are as good as, if not better than a Rangie - never even driven one, so can't comment, but would like to hear others' experiences :)

Have a Lexus RX300 on lpg seems well built but is hanging with rust under the underseal.

Pattern part availability is limited

Mechanically robust

Drives better than standard RRC, not as nice as a 3l Ford Maverick

Fuel consumption broadly similar

Have a Lexus RX300 on lpg seems well built but is hanging with rust under the underseal.

Pattern part availability is limited

Mechanically robust

Drives better than standard RRC, not as nice as a 3l Ford Maverick

Fuel consumption broadly similar

I've got a 2005 RX300 that we have owned for about 4 years now, it's been pretty bullet proof apart from the brakes as it seems to eat discs withe the same appetite that I used to have for Caffreys in the 90s.

Servicing is expensive if you need belts changing, as is replacing the sparkplugs on the V6 as access is a fucker on the back bank plus the plugs are some kind of mega expensive long life jobs and it's probably a good idea the service the gearbox if it's getting close to 100k, mine looks OK underneath but the suspension parts look like they have left in the north sea, which I think is pretty common on most jap cars.

I've got a 2005 RX300 that we have owned for about 4 years now, it's been pretty bullet proof apart from the brakes as it seems to eat discs withe the same appetite that I used to have for Caffreys in the 90s.

Servicing is expensive if you need belts changing, as is replacing the sparkplugs on the V6 as access is a fucker on the back bank plus the plugs are some kind of mega expensive long life jobs and it's probably a good idea the service the gearbox if it's getting close to 100k, mine looks OK underneath but the suspension parts look like they have left in the north sea, which I think is pretty common on most jap cars.

Ours is an '02 so might be different but belts are easy, you just need to fetch a mill off a heat shield to be able to change the water pump in situ at the same time.

Plugs are iridium ones cost about £4.50 each, like you say access to the rear bank requires multiple wobble bar extentions.

Ours is an '02 so might be different but belts are easy, you just need to fetch a mill off a heat shield to be able to change the water pump in situ at the same time.

Plugs are iridium ones cost about £4.50 each, like you say access to the rear bank requires multiple wobble bar extentions.

The later RX has fuck all space over the rear bank as its buried right under the dash and the Denso plugs are about a tenner each. I haven't even looked at how easy the timing belt replacement is but it's very tight for space on that side of the engine, the cost for the belts and the water pump for a decent local garage was £450 and it's going to cost about £180 for the plugs to be changed at the next service, which is less than half the price Lexus main dealers quoted. My usual mechanic wouldn't touch it as it's a bastard to work on due to lack of space in the engine bay.

Still I'm impressed by how good it is at soaking miles up on a run and the stress free nature of driving in towns, I think the RX is a bit underated.

Just out if interest what mpg do you get from yours on a run? Going by the computer the best we've seen is about 28 average on a long run.

But we are on LPG so going full tank to full tank we get about 18/19 round the doors and 24mpg on a run, 19/20 on a run towing, having never run for any time on petrol I didn't know how it compared.

I've had it upto 30 on a motorway run but it's closer to 19 - 20 mpg round town and going to work. The RX350 with the updated engine is supposed to be better on fuel but I expect it's still horrendous, it's no worse than my old V6 Accord coupe.

I did talk to someone recommended by Gordon Bennett about an LPG conversion, but as I only drive about 4000 miles a year it didn't seem worth it.

@barmatt; don't rule out the TD5. They sound great and are surprisingly smooth. The scare stories about the electrics are just that provided you avoid ACE as did (but do go for airsprings).

My diagnostic tool does the Td5. Currently it doesn't do the rest of the Disco 2 but one day I intend that it will. They can't be that unreliable because so far I have sold hardly any to LR owners.